Culpepper to be released now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Culpepper to be released now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Culpepper to be released now?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:14 pm

Vikings | Culpepper to be released?
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 04:59:56 -0800

Jason Cole, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins expect the Minnesota Vikings to release QB Daunte Culpepper before the Vikings are scheduled to pay him a $6 million roster bonus March 17. Because of that belief, the Dolphins have resisted the offer to trade for Culpepper. The Dolphins and Vikings recently discussed a trade for Culpepper. Despite those discussions, the Dolphins are not interested in a trade at this point. They are examining a number of quarterback options.

Posted on Fri, Feb. 24, 2006
DOLPHINS NOTES
Vikings expected to cut Culpepper
BY JASON mailto:COLEjcole@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins expect Minnesota to release quarterback Daunte Culpepper before the Vikings are scheduled to pay him a $6 million roster bonus on March 17.

Because of that belief, the Dolphins have resisted the offer to trade for Culpepper, who also is scheduled to make $2 million in base salary for the 2006 season.

The Dolphins and Vikings recently discussed a trade for Culpepper. Although no exact compensation was discussed, the Vikings are asking for more than the second-round pick that was reported this month.

Despite those discussions, the Dolphins are not interested in a trade at this point. They are examining a number of quarterback options.

The Dolphins are expected to speak with the agents for San Diego quarterback Drew Brees if the Chargers and Brees are unable to work out a contract extension by the end of next week.
The Dolphins also are monitoring what Tennessee will do with Steve McNair and what Washington will do with Patrick Ramsey.
On Thursday they held further talks with agents Tom Condon and Ken Kremer regarding quarterback Tim Couch.

Condon and Kremer also represent Brees.

MADISON RECONSIDERS
Cornerback Sam Madison recently backed off his claim that he would not take a pay cut to stay with the Dolphins. Agent Drew Rosenhaus told the team in recent talks that Madison might be willing to take less in hopes of returning.

The Dolphins, who were not happy with Madison's performance for much of the 2005 season before he rebounded at the end of the year, are considering all options when it comes to upgrading at cornerback.

The team is looking at numerous cornerbacks in the draft and is expected to talk with Ty Law, who was cut this week by the New York Jets. Law is among several veterans being considered, but most of them are expected to be too expensive.

As for Madison, he is scheduled to cost the Dolphins $6.5 million against the salary cap. That includes $3.7 million in base salary and bonuses. If the Dolphins cut or trade Madison, they will save $2.7 million against the salary cap.

Rosenhaus could not be reached for comment.

LINE OPTIONS

After New Orleans declined to place a franchise tag on Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley and Seattle put only the transition tag on Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson, the Dolphins immediately were considered an option for both of them.

However, the Dolphins are unlikely to pay the $5 million per year that Bentley is expected to demand. As for Hutchinson, the Dolphins also are unlikely to meet his demands because of other needs, particularly if the collective bargaining agreement is not extended. Seattle has the right to match any deal for Hutchinson because of the transition tag.

COMBINE HUMOR
Running back Reggie Bush had the quote of the day at the NFL scouting combine.

Bush, who is expected to be taken with the No. 1 overall pick by the Texans, was asked what he likes best about Houston.
Said Bush: ``No state [income] tax.''

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:02 pm

That's funny because C-Pep has been quoted as saying that the front office assured him there has been no trade talks. It's funny when all these reports come out, but nobody really has all the facts. It usually takes several days to a week for the real story to be made known.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:06 pm

mysticphysh wrote:That's funny because C-Pep has been quoted as saying that the front office assured him there has been no trade talks. It's funny when all these reports come out, but nobody really has all the facts. It usually takes several days to a week for the real story to be made known.

That's why I posted this with the question mark in the title. 1st we heard C-Pepp was on the trading block, then we heard he was off the trading block, now we hear he might be released.

I think my head is going to explode. :-?

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Can C-Pep even leave the state with pending litigation? ;-7
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby louisianacajunsam » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:24 pm

thats a really good question mystiq
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:33 pm

whenever you get a vote of confidence from an organization, its time to pack your bags. It always seems like someone is cut or fired after being assured they won't.

Although letting culpepper go just to "Start fresh" doesn't make sense to me at all. why not stick by him?

I'm not the biggest fan of his, but he is still an undeniable talent when healthy--unless they know something about his health that we don't.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:34 pm

I just find it funny that the newspapers have used another team's speculation in order to say what another team is doing with their personnel. Don't you think they should wait until the team actually does something or at least one of the people that speaks for the team makes a statement? :-B
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I just find it funny that the newspapers have used another team's speculation in order to say what another team is doing with their personnel. Don't you think they should wait until the team actually does something or at least one of the people that speaks for the team makes a statement? :-B

"Dewey Defeats Truman!" incorrectly appeared as a headline for the front page of a Chicago newspaper in 1948.

The newspaper business is just so competitive that writers sometimes jump the gun just so they can say they were the 1st to break the story. I agree that the writers should wait until all the facts are in instead of speculating.

flotsamnjetsam

Postby VaderFin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:58 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Can C-Pep even leave the state with pending litigation? ;-7

He is currently in Orlando.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:01 pm

From ESPN:

<Feb. 24> In an email to the media on Thursday, Culpepper did his best to assure Vikings fans that no trade is in the works.
"I want to update the fans of Minnesota and the NFL community on my status with the Vikings. Mr. Wilf and I spoke by phone on 2/21/2006, and we each shared our concerns about my present situation," Culpepper wrote. "He told me that the Vikings have not yet spoken to other teams about trading me. I shared my disappointment with the lack of communication and the false reports about me demanding more money coming out of Minnesota. I have requested further talks so that we can explore options for the future."

The Miami Herald is reporting that the Dolphins expect Minnesota to release Culpepper before March 17, when the quarterback is owed a $6 million roster bonus. Because of that belief, the Dolphins are hesistant to trade for Culpepper, and are examining other QB options, including Drew Brees, Steve McNair and Patrick Ramsey.

The Ravens, who have also been mentioned as potential suitors, were contacted by the Vikings, but Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome told the Baltimore Sun that no negotiations have "officially" taken place and no deal was imminent. Newsome did not rule out the possibility that the issue could be revisited.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com's John Clayton claims if the Vikings can't work out a trade by March 17, when Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, the team might consider cutting him.

Oakland and the New York Jets are also among the teams expected to pursue quarterbacks this offseason.

So, I guess being released isn't a trade. :-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk