Culpepper to be released now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Culpepper to be released now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby logan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:03 pm

seems odd as i read a thing this morining saying cpepp would try to work something out so they did not have to pay him the 6 mil roster bonus right now so the team could use the money to sign other FA's. weird things going on up there in minny if this is true.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:09 pm

VaderFin wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:Can C-Pep even leave the state with pending litigation? ;-7

He is currently in Orlando.

it was a joke. :-B
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:42 pm

eaglesrule wrote:whenever you get a vote of confidence from an organization, its time to pack your bags. It always seems like someone is cut or fired after being assured they won't.

Although letting culpepper go just to "Start fresh" doesn't make sense to me at all. why not stick by him?

I'm not the biggest fan of his, but he is still an undeniable talent when healthy--unless they know something about his health that we don't.

everyone knows a serious issue with his health: he tore all three ligaments in his knee. that isnt something to joke around with. the vikings may not think he is worth all the money he used to be because of the injuries. they could ask him to restructure with an incentive-rich contract, but i dont see that happening.

the vikings have a lot of options. they could attempt to sign a high profile free agent, and they have some of the most flexiblility to do so. they could also try and trade up in the draft; that seems very unlikely.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The_Dude » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:29 pm

So, just so that I'm clear, Daunte Culpepper will either stay with the Vikings, be traded to Baltimore or Miami, or be cut and signed by Oakland, Baltimore or Miami.

And to boot, we have 2 threads on this.

Its most definitely the off-season.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Bravos of Steel » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:33 pm

The_Dude wrote:So, just so that I'm clear, Daunte Culpepper will either stay with the Vikings, be traded to Baltimore or Miami, or be cut and signed by Oakland, Baltimore or Miami.

And to boot, we have 2 threads on this.

Its most definitely the off-season.

Amen bro
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LJ's Crush » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:20 am

It would be nice to see him go to miami, Chamber's,C-pepper,Brown,Michahal, THat's just scary!!!!!! 8-o
LJ's Crush
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Another perspective

Postby lushmd » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 am

From AP, via Yahoo:

While Culpepper waits, Childress expects to have him and Johnson
By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
February 24, 2006

Downplaying the trade speculation surrounding Daunte Culpepper, Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress asserted that he plans to have both Culpepper and Brad Johnson on the team this year at quarterback.

"That's the mindset," Childress said Friday at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "I don't know anything to the contrary."

Culpepper, meanwhile, said in an e-mail that he has not heard from the team in regard to his request for further talks about his contract.

A day earlier, Culpepper wrote that he was assured by owner Zygi Wilf in a phone conversation earlier this week the Vikings have "not yet spoken to other teams about trading" him.

The injured quarterback, who tore three ligaments in his right knee in an Oct. 30 game and has been rehabilitating in his native Florida, also said he told Wilf he wasn't happy with what he's been reading in the news -- and what he hasn't been hearing from the club.

"I shared my disappointment with the lack of communication and the false reports about me demanding more money coming out of Minnesota," said Culpepper, who let go of his agent last month and has been representing himself.

Culpepper's statement also mentioned that he offered to move his $6 million roster bonus, which is set to be paid on March 17, to another date to help the Vikings sign more free agents under the salary cap -- though the team is projected to have plenty of room.

"If I am not traded, I want to help coach Childress make a serious run for the championship this year," Culpepper said.

Childress acknowledged that the team has had inquiries about Culpepper, with the free agent and trading period set to begin next weekend.

"That's what goes on this time of year," he said.

But the coach diverted his comments toward Culpepper's knee. He's projected to return for training camp, but that's not a guarantee.

"He's three months out of a major surgery," Childress said. "Before we do anything, we're going to get him back to health.

"All my talk with the trainers is about getting him back to the level of play he was at in 2004."

That's when Culpepper was chosen for his third Pro Bowl after setting several franchise records and establishing an NFL mark for most combined rushing and passing yardage. But playing without receiver Randy Moss, center Matt Birk and offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Scott Linehan, Culpepper started last season poorly and then suffered the devastating injury.

"All of the discussion about me being traded or cut has helped me realize that the contract I have ran out of guarantees the day I was injured," he said. "Therefore each year they pay you to play is a gift. I expect that if there are no changes to my present contract then I should prepare for a year by year commitment. When I am ready to hit the field this year, wherever it may be, I plan on being better than ever and enjoying the ride."

Associated Press Writer Cliff Brunt in Indianapolis contributed to this report.

Updated on Friday, Feb 24, 2006 6:17 pm EST
lushmd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk