Gotta love slow news days in the offseason. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gotta love slow news days in the offseason.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gotta love slow news days in the offseason.

Postby Wizzle » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:37 pm

Vinatieri not getting franchised again.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5357606

Associated Press wrote:FOXBORO, Mass. (AP) - Adam Vinatieri may get a chance to test free agency after the New England Patriots declined to protect the man who kicked two Super Bowl-winning field goals with the franchise player tag.

The designation would have forced the team to commit to a one-year $3 million offer to Vinatieri. Without the tag, the team will not be compensated if he signs with someone else.
"It just didn't feel like the right thing to do," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "We considered all our options and decided not to tag anybody."

The Patriots still have until March 3 to sign Vinatieri. But negotiations around the league have been held up because the collective bargaining agreement between the players' union and the teams is set to expire next week, and 2006 salary cap numbers remain unknown.

"I don't think you can do much of anything," Belichick said Thursday at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. "I don't know what we're working with (financially). Until that's defined, it seems like an exercise in futility."

A message left Friday for Vinatieri's agent, Jonathan Hurst, was not immediately returned.

Vinatieri, 33, has been named the team's franchise player twice, including last year, when he was paid $2.5 million.

The Patriots have 17 unrestricted free agents, with Vinatieri and receiver David Givens the most notable.

"Every situation is independent," Belichick said. "It takes two parties, or three to a point, to make a deal, and when that happens, we have one, and if it doesn't, we don't."

I always found it wierd that they would franchise him anyway...
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:40 pm

I also saw this but didn't think it was worth making a thread:

49ers | Team wins sixth draft pick in coin flip
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:33:04 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the San Francisco 49ers won the coin flip with the Oakland Raiders and they now have the sixth pick in the first round of the April NFL Draft. "It gives us a better spot to find more quality football players," 49ers head coach Mike Nolan said.

Raiders lost the coin toss and have the 7th pick.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby mattb47 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:43 pm

The draft pick spot could end up being a pretty big thing because most mock drafts I've seen have the 6th spot picking up whoever is left from AJ Hawk and Mario Williams.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk