Jets want to move up? To 1? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets want to move up? To 1?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:35 pm

that's not optimistic. ;-7
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:45 pm

merc wrote:Does Abraham play DE in a 4-3?
Hmmm, a pass rushing DE, D'Brick and then a FA LB will give the Texans at least an 8-8 next year... sounds good to me!

The Texans run the 3-4, not the 4-3. Abraham can't really play DE in the 3-4, which the Jets are going to, but he makes a great OLB in the 3-4. In a 3-4 defense the DEs are really big, like Robaire Smith for the Texans (he is like 325).
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby merc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:47 pm

The Texans run the 3-4, not the 4-3. Abraham can't really play DE in the 3-4,
I heard the Texans are moving to the 4-3 under the new coaches and that's why they NEED a real DE like Abraham, and a real MLB.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:56 pm

merc wrote:
I heard the Texans are moving to the 4-3 under the new coaches and that's why they NEED a real DE like Abraham, and a real MLB.

Exactly. I've heard the same. Abraham would give them a quality DE, they could take Ferguson, and probably draft an impact MLB with their 2nd round pick.

And if the Jets or anyone does trade up, it will be for Leinart. Bush may be the better prospect overall, but RBs are just too abundant. If the Jets really wanted a RB in the 2nd, I think they'd either trade down, or just draft Williams/White if Bush is taken.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:07 pm

maddog60 wrote:
merc wrote:

Exactly. I've heard the same. Abraham would give them a quality DE, they could take Ferguson, and probably draft an impact MLB with their 2nd round pick.

And if the Jets or anyone does trade up, it will be for Leinart. Bush may be the better prospect overall, but RBs are just too abundant. If the Jets really wanted a RB in the 2nd, I think they'd either trade down, or just draft Williams/White if Bush is taken.

The only true impact MLB in this draft is D'Qwell... and the first pick of the second might be a little high for him there.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:24 pm

Looks like the texans are more then willing to move down. Smart move since they have a pretty good RB and QB. They need to move down and pick up D'Brick or somebody to help that horrific O-line.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5361260
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 am

Ive been thinking a swap of #1 and #4 makes sense for a while now. Maybe it isnt Abe that goes to Houston, it could likely just be a bunch of lower round and/or future picks. I really think both teams would benefit from this. But if Im the Jets and Im trading up, its for Reggie not Leinart. Id probably be just as content with Cutler at 4 as opposed to Leinart at 1.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby merc » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:16 am

Maybe it isnt Abe that goes to Houston, it could likely just be a bunch of lower round and/or future picks.
Well, if that's what they do... then they should just take Bush... since neither Bush nor future picks and lower round draft picks will help them in 2006. Another 4 win(or less) season after passing on Bush will absolutely kill season ticket sales and put bags on all the rest of our heads...

No, if we trade down even one pick, we need to get someone who starts for us in 2006, IMO, and also get us D'Brick. I wouldn't have any problem either if we pick up Seattle's OG, whose name slips me now, or W'spoon from Carolina on the FA market. As for our second round pick... is there a very good cover left CB who might fall to our pick? Faggins and Buchanan just suck!
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:29 am

Like usual I have no idea what the Jets are thinking (if this rumor is true). The Jets have so many needs and are in salary cap hell. With the cuts they have made, and will make, they might help the salary cap situation, but how can they afford to pay #1 overall pick type money to a draft pick? Especially when noone that's being mentioned as the #1 pick is a sure fire lock guaranteed superstar. Noone coming out of college ever is. I think the Jets would be better off keeping the 4th pick, or trading down to get more picks. I think the Jets should find a way to keep John Abraham. Pro Bowl players don't grow on trees and the Jets have a history of horrible drafts. Anyone remember the 1990 Jets #2 overall pick...Blair Thomas? Junior Seau went 3 picks later and Emmitt Smith was the next RB drafted in the 1st round. Like everyone has said for months now, this move makes more sense for Houston. I hope this is just a rumor.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby bigGAME101 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:16 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Like usual I have no idea what the Jets are thinking (if this rumor is true). The Jets have so many needs and are in salary cap hell. With the cuts they have made, and will make, they might help the salary cap situation, but how can they afford to pay #1 overall pick type money to a draft pick? Especially when noone that's being mentioned as the #1 pick is a sure fire lock guaranteed superstar. Noone coming out of college ever is. I think the Jets would be better off keeping the 4th pick, or trading down to get more picks. I think the Jets should find a way to keep John Abraham. Pro Bowl players don't grow on trees and the Jets have a history of horrible drafts. Anyone remember the 1990 Jets #2 overall pick...Blair Thomas? Junior Seau went 3 picks later and Emmitt Smith was the next RB drafted in the 1st round. Like everyone has said for months now, this move makes more sense for Houston. I hope this is just a rumor.

Well, first off a big part of the reason the Jets are in cap hell is a result of both Abraham and Pennington, both of whom are unlikely to be with the team in 2006. Pennington has said he is unwilling to restructure, meaning he will almost surely be cut. Abraham will likely be traded as he has expressed extreme disinterest in returning to the Jets. Curtis Martin is also restructuring, so technically speaking the Jets should be in decent shape cap-wise. Basically, the Jets need to get rid of Pennington at this point, and the only option in their minds is trading up to get Leinart. Clearly they think no.4 is too high for Cutler (crazy if you ask me), and an RB really isnt an option given the complete absence of QB once Penny is gone. Will the jets give up too much if they get trade Abraham and their pick for no.1 overall, absolutely. But would they do it, probably. Abraham is as good as gone, they might as well get their choice of player in the draft for it. BTW, the Texans would make out like bandits in that trade.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk