Moderator: Football Moderators

Larry Fitzgerald vs. Anquan Boldin - 2006

Fitzgerald
77%
Boldin
23%

Total votes : 44

Postby CC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:46 pm

I have to go with Fitzgerald on this one (although I am hugely biased).

He has just about everything you would want in a WR, except for the top end speed (and he still ran a 4.45 at his pro day). Despite what Kensat said, his hands are not going to be an issue and he is bound to get better as he enters his 3rd season.

I mean the man only has played 4 years of college and NFL ball combined and he should've won a Heisman trophy (he was robbed) and is already one of the top WRs in the league.

Plus he isn't injury prone, put up great numbers last year, and isn't injury prone. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wizzle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:03 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I have to go with Fitzgerald on this one (although I am hugely biased).

He has just about everything you would want in a WR, except for the top end speed (and he still ran a 4.45 at his pro day). Despite what Kensat said, his hands are not going to be an issue and he is bound to get better as he enters his 3rd season.

I mean the man only has played 4 years of college and NFL ball combined and he should've won a Heisman trophy (he was robbed) and is already one of the top WRs in the league.

Plus he isn't injury prone, put up great numbers last year, and isn't injury prone. ;-D

I'm wondering about Fitz' durability. Is he injury prone by chance?
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby CC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:27 pm

Wizzle wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I have to go with Fitzgerald on this one (although I am hugely biased).

Naw, he played only two seasons of college ball and I don't think he missed a game (set record for consecutive games with a receiving TD, so he had to play a lot) and two years ago he had an ankle injury that he played most of the season on and still put up great numbers (for a rookie).
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:39 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Wizzle wrote:

Naw, he played only two seasons of college ball and I don't think he missed a game (set record for consecutive games with a receiving TD, so he had to play a lot) and two years ago he had an ankle injury that he played most of the season on and still put up great numbers (for a rookie).

CC i believe he was refering to the fact that you said that Fitz wasnt injury prone twice... ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Blast.
But he seriously isn't injury prone.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:50 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Fitz only appears to be the better option because, #1 he stayed healthy all season, #2 he scored more TDs. Like everyone is pointing out, Boldin was the more consistent WR on a per game basis, despite Fitz being targeted as a stud WR game in and game out. I see Fitzgerald going close to the top5 WRs this season, and with his pedigree I can't see how this is value compared to where Boldin will go. I could justify a 3rd round pick on either player, but I would prefer to grab someone like Harrison there and then come back and draft whoever is left in the 4th. Boldin might be there in the 4th.

Breaking it down player vs. player, The way I see it is:

#1) Boldin's hands are much better than Fitz's. Fitz drops too many casual passes. This leads to inconsistency, as he can go an entire game with only 2 or 3 catches and/or dissappear for quarters at a time. Obviously this is not a big problem when your bad games look like 4/30/1 but it leads me to believe that if Arizona pasing offense has problems, Fitz may be the first to suffer.

#2) Fitz has nowhere near the athletic/open field ability as Boldin, breaking tackles, bouncing off defenders, all the after the catch stuff, and making the tough catches.

#3) Fitz has a big height/jumping advantage over Boldin, making him a much better man coverage target. I think the main reason Fitz scored more touchdowns in the redzone though, is due to his big head. Any QB could easily see that huge helmet near the endzone, it's like the "big head" option on the NBA JAM videogame, great visual aide.

#4) Boldin may be injury prone. I have a hard time seeing Boldin with more touchdowns than Fitz with Boldin's tendency for getting injured without contact. He is great at rehabbing and may not miss serious time outside of an ACL injury, but Boldin's knees are starting to scare me.

Overall, I think this is the only true WR1A/WR1B situation in the NFL... I go with Fitzgerald for season long stats due to health concerns, but I believe that Boldin is the better/more consistent performer when on the field. It's hard to say who is more valuable in fantasy, I would probably rate them both as mid to late 3rd round prospects.

I really dont know why you think Boldin has better hands than Fitz. Do you have anything to back this up? i know i havent watched a ton of Cardinals game but from what i have watched he makes a lot of tough catches and i havent seen him drop any catchable balls. From what i saw of him in college he had some of the best hands i had ever seen. I still remeber that catch directly over his head he made for a TD.

I believe that the value of these two Wrs comes down to who is quarterbacking in Arizona. As someone pointed out earlier Warner looks for Boldin and McCown looked for Fitz. If Arizona decides to stick with Warner for next year then Boldin in my eyes becomes the best fantasy option. If Arizona decides to go with McCown or pick up someone in Free Agency then i think Fitz becomes the better fantasy reciever.

Ken,
you really think that you could get Fitz or Boldin in the 4th? in all of the 12 team mocks and drafts that i have seen Fitz is long gone by then and Boldin is gone as well. I really dont see how you could get either in the 4th. As others have said Fitz seems to be overvalued ( for some reason i decided to pick him in the 2nd round of the Flexual Harrassment league draft) and will go fairly early. Boldin seems to be the better value and can be had in the third and maybe if your very lucky the early 4th round.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:30 pm

I said Fitz - mostly because he seems to be more durable than Boldin. They will both be very good this year if Zona can't manage to manufacture a running game, and I don't really see any reason other than injury that one would out-produce the other.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Maybe nobody read it when I posted this last time because someone posted right after me. But I don't think that Boldin is "injury prone" persay. I think that it is a very positive thing that everyone thought that Boldin was hurt for the season again last year and he made a very fast recovery and not only that, but he was at full strength and had a huge game on his first game back (8 rec, 105 yds, 1 TD). If he was badly hurt this season and missed a good part of the season then I could see the injury prone tag, but he's had one bad injury and one that kept him out of only two games and he still finished with nearly the same numbers as Fitz.

I honestly think that Boldin will put up better numbers this next year, Fitzgerald might in the long run but for the next couple of years I see Boldin putting up the better numbers.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:50 am

I'd like to wait and take the 2nd one of this duo in the draft, just for overall value, but I give Fitz a slight edge. I think both are great WRs, both have proven they're productive, I don't think either is considered the #2 WR, which is wierd, essentially having two equal #1s on a single team, but Fitz just has more raw talent.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:51 am

I had Boldin as my #2 WR last year (he essentially became #1 when Randy Moss disappeared).. and won my league. That being said, Fitzgerald is the better pure talent.. and I would draft him in the early 3rd, and Boldin in the early 4th.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk