Moderator: Football Moderators

Larry Fitzgerald vs. Anquan Boldin - 2006

Fitzgerald
77%
Boldin
23%

Total votes : 44

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:34 am

Boldin in the 4th would be the steal of the draft.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crimedogg32 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:03 am

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Boldin in the 4th would be the steal of the draft.

Yea it would be

Who are you people going to take ahead of Boldin if you wont take him until 4th round. I see only 1 QB then him and maybe 5 WRs. Are you planning on taking 30 RBs before?
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:10 am

Crimedogg32 wrote:Who are you people going to take ahead of Boldin if you wont take him until 4th round. I see only 1 QB then him and maybe 5 WRs. Are you planning on taking 30 RBs before?

Well,

Antonio Gates
Peyton Manning
Carson Palmer (pending how his recovery goes)
Steve Smith
Chad Johnson
TO
Randy Moss
Torry Holt
Larry Fitzgerald
Santana Moss

There's 10 players that very well could go before Boldin. Not necessarily all of them will, but they could. With everyone grabbing their starting RBs as in most leagues you're looking at about 34 picks now. All it takes is two players to sneak in like Marvin Harrison, Tom Brady, or Jeremy Shockey, and Boldin is there in the 4th round.

Given the hype though, I'd say more likely one of last year's excellent WRs falls instead, but its not so absurd that Boldin ends up an early 4th rounder.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:34 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:Who are you people going to take ahead of Boldin if you wont take him until 4th round. I see only 1 QB then him and maybe 5 WRs. Are you planning on taking 30 RBs before?

Well,

Antonio Gates
Peyton Manning
Carson Palmer (pending how his recovery goes)
Steve Smith
Chad Johnson
TO
Randy Moss
Torry Holt
Larry Fitzgerald
Santana Moss

There's 10 players that very well could go before Boldin. Not necessarily all of them will, but they could. With everyone grabbing their starting RBs as in most leagues you're looking at about 34 picks now. All it takes is two players to sneak in like Marvin Harrison, Tom Brady, or Jeremy Shockey, and Boldin is there in the 4th round.

Given the hype though, I'd say more likely one of last year's excellent WRs falls instead, but its not so absurd that Boldin ends up an early 4th rounder.

Let me play in your league then and grab Boldin in the 4th.....there is no way he should last that long. I agree with the others that if he went in the 4th it would be the steal of the draft.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:25 pm

Even with my mancrush on Fitz, like I said last year, it's probably better to just grab whoever goes later in the draft.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:27 pm

where does everyone think fitz would go in a draft for a completely new 12 team dynasty draft???
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:32 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:where does everyone think fitz would go in a draft for a completely new 12 team dynasty draft???

I would think he would go somewhere in the middle of the second round. At least thats were he has being going in the drafts and mocks that i have seen. Probably a little early with boldin taking a lot of receptions away from him.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:40 pm

In a dynasty I have seen Fitz go as the 2nd WR taken in a lot of leagues. In a PPR league he is an early 2nd round pick for most leagues and in a non-PPR league I would say later 2nd round. This is in dynasty leagues and keeper leagues mainly though.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:30 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:I really dont know why you think Boldin has better hands than Fitz. Do you have anything to back this up? i know i havent watched a ton of Cardinals game but from what i have watched he makes a lot of tough catches and i havent seen him drop any catchable balls. From what i saw of him in college he had some of the best hands i had ever seen. I still remeber that catch directly over his head he made for a TD.

I recall Fitz dropping quite a few catchable balls, nothing in the range of a guy like Darrell Jackson, but definitely not the hands of a Marvin Harrison either. This is most based on "my eye" evidence watching games on replay, but I got the feeling that Fitz tends to be a little careless at times, especially when the ball is thrown down around the knee area. This all may be due to a maturity factor like Cheese said, but I'm not so sure that it will go away quickly. I just get the feeling sometimes that Fitz lacks fundamentals and makes up for it with his stud ability. He can dissappear for halfs at a time and his just lacks that consistency on a quarter for quarter basis, but still catch the game winning touchdown pass. Who cares when his bad games look like 4/30/1 though right?

The guy has great talent, but his maturity scares me. I just don't want to see what happens when a bad offensive stretch comes along and/or they don't pass the ball 40+ times a game. Torry Holt type established type guys almost never dissappear on their team, no matter what the circumstances. Boldin to me seems like the established guy and the one you can count on in the offense no matter what happens. He catches the tough passes, he makes tough plays, and he is consistent.

I believe that the value of these two Wrs comes down to who is quarterbacking in Arizona. As someone pointed out earlier Warner looks for Boldin and McCown looked for Fitz. If Arizona decides to stick with Warner for next year then Boldin in my eyes becomes the best fantasy option. If Arizona decides to go with McCown or pick up someone in Free Agency then i think Fitz becomes the better fantasy reciever.

I think the QB argument is flawed, because McCown is not an NFL caliber QB. Fitz was targeted excessively by McCown simply because McCown wasn't adept at progressing through his reads. McCown never throws to the #3 WR, ever, and he also had a tendency to lock onto Fitzgerald and forced the ball to him. For instance, late games, McCown would alternate passes between Fitzgerald/Boldin and end up forcing the ball into double coverage to Fitz and lose possession on an interception. Warner actually was able to hit a different WR on 3 consecutive downs.

Ken,
you really think that you could get Fitz or Boldin in the 4th? in all of the 12 team mocks and drafts that i have seen Fitz is long gone by then and Boldin is gone as well. I really dont see how you could get either in the 4th. As others have said Fitz seems to be overvalued ( for some reason i decided to pick him in the 2nd round of the Flexual Harrassment league draft) and will go fairly early. Boldin seems to be the better value and can be had in the third and maybe if your very lucky the early 4th round.

I don't believe for a second that Fitz will go in the 4th round, and it's probably unlikely that he will even last into the 3rd round. What I was trying to say, is that I value OTHER WRs more than I value Fitz/Boldin in the 3rd. That doesn't mean I even think they will necessarily be available in the 3rd round, just that even if they are there, I may or may not draft them depending on who else is still on the board. I do think that Boldin/Fitz are both worth mid to late 3rd rounders, Fitz closer to the mid and Boldin closer to the late, but doesn't necessarily mean they are the best option at that point in the draft.

I would draft either of them in the 4th round and be happy about it.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:49 pm

mattb47 wrote:Maybe nobody read it when I posted this last time because someone posted right after me. But I don't think that Boldin is "injury prone" persay. I think that it is a very positive thing that everyone thought that Boldin was hurt for the season again last year and he made a very fast recovery and not only that, but he was at full strength and had a huge game on his first game back (8 rec, 105 yds, 1 TD). If he was badly hurt this season and missed a good part of the season then I could see the injury prone tag, but he's had one bad injury and one that kept him out of only two games and he still finished with nearly the same numbers as Fitz.

I honestly think that Boldin will put up better numbers this next year, Fitzgerald might in the long run but for the next couple of years I see Boldin putting up the better numbers.

Boldin's injury history dates back to college and I'm 90% sure it includes an ACL that also happened during non-contact. Boldin's injury history just cannot be ignored at this point IMO.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk