Chris Simms signs 1 year contract with Bucs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Simms signs 1 year contract with Bucs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chris Simms signs 1 year contract with Bucs

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:23 pm

Quarterback Chris Simms Stays With Bucs

By Associated Press

March 1, 2006, 1:49 PM CST

TAMPA, Fla. -- Quarterback Chris Simms agreed to a one-year contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Wednesday.

The signing comes two days before Simms would have become a restricted free agent and allows the Bucs to keep the quarterback who started the last 10 games in the 2005 season after Brian Griese went down with a knee injury.

Simms, drafted by the Bucs in 2003, won six of his 10 starts and led the team to an NFC South championship. He completed 191-of-313 passes for 2,035 yards, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

In a playoff game against Washington, the 25-year-old Simms set team postseason records by completing 25 passes on 38 attempts.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:24 pm

that means brian griese is gone. its doing the right thing though. simms could be really good.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm very surprised that they only signed him to a 1-year deal. I thought they were planning on signing him long-term....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:29 pm

yeah the one year deal is curious. It would seem like they arent quite as in love with him as everyone thought. I sure hope that we either keep Griese or sign a veteran FA QB. I am not sold on Simms yet.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:30 pm

mattb47 wrote:I'm very surprised that they only signed him to a 1-year deal. I thought they were planning on signing him long-term....

very interesting. maybe they want to see how the labor situation turns out. where is tampa bay compared with the rest of the league???
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby logan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:34 pm

they are 8 million over based on a 92 million dollar cap.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:35 pm

mattb47 wrote:I'm very surprised that they only signed him to a 1-year deal. I thought they were planning on signing him long-term....

I agree. Maybe the CBA problems have something to do with it. The only other reason I can think of is that the Bucs aren't 100% sold on him. That's pretty risky though. If Simms has a great year in 2006 the Bucs will have to pay him a lot more than if they signed him to a long term contract now.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:41 pm

With the prospect of an un-capped 2007 season, I'm sure the Bucs would have loved to sign Simms long-term, but it's doubtful his agent was keen on the idea....

Think about the money Simms could get if he performs well in '06 and becomes a free agent in an un-capped '07....

He easily could demand the truly enormous bucks from a team like Washington or Oakland in '07 if he proves in '06 that his performance in '05 wasn't a fluke...

Picture this scenario, if you will:

Washington cuts Brunell (cap casualty) and starts 20+ rookies in '06, as expected....

Jason Campbell struggles accordingly...

Simms puts up respectable numbers in Tampa (3200 yards and 20 TD's)....

Simms goes into '07 as a free agent, and Danny Snyder all of a sudden has no cap to worry about...

Chris Simms could easily sign a $75-million deal with Washington in that kind of situation.... (assuming his daddy lets him play for the 'Skins)

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:With the prospect of an un-capped 2007 season, I'm sure the Bucs would have loved to sign Simms long-term, but it's doubtful his agent was keen on the idea....

Think about the money Simms could get if he performs well in '06 and becomes a free agent in an un-capped '07....

He easily could demand the truly enormous bucks from a team like Washington or Oakland in '07 if he proves in '06 that his performance in '05 wasn't a fluke...

Washington cuts Brunell (cap casualty) and starts 20+ rookies in '06, as expected....

Simms goes into '07 as a free agent, and Danny Snyder all of a sudden has no cap to worry about...

Chris Simms could easily sign a $75-million deal with Washington in that kind of situation.... (assuming his daddy lets him play for the 'Skins)

if the redskins turned into the yankees of baseball, i would commit suicide. the salary cap makes football better than baseball. i hate the yankees, and i would definitely hate the redskins (more) if they started doing what the yankees do right now in baseball.
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:54 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:With the prospect of an un-capped 2007 season, I'm sure the Bucs would have loved to sign Simms long-term, but it's doubtful his agent was keen on the idea....

if the redskins turned into the yankees of baseball, i would commit suicide. the salary cap makes football better than baseball. i hate the yankees, and i would definitely hate the redskins (more) if they started doing what the yankees do right now in baseball.

Well, I have to agree that the NFL is more fun to watch because of cap-induced parity, but make no mistake about it, if Danny Snyder no longer has to contend with a salary cap, the Redskins will be buying a Super Bowl in no time flat...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk