Brunell, others will restructure contracts to help Skins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brunell, others will restructure contracts to help Skins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brunell, others will restructure contracts to help Skins

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:53 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2350331

Brunell to restructure contract, pending CBA talks
Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Quarterback Mark Brunell has agreed in principle to restructure his contract, pending the NFL's negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement.

"Mark and other team members have worked cooperatively with us in renegotiations, approaching the matter like the veterans and team leaders that they are," coach Joe Gibbs said Wednesday.

Like all NFL teams, the Redskins are in flux with their free agency plans because of the last-minute collective bargaining talks. If no agreement is reached, Washington will have to make some $20 million in cuts Thursday to get below the 2006 salary cap.

If an agreement is reached, the Redskins will have to make fewer cuts because the cap will be substantially higher. Brunell and the other veterans -- whom Gibbs did not name -- will not sign their new deals until there is definitive word on the labor situation.

Free agency begins Friday. The Redskins have been one of the most active teams on the opening day of free agency under owner Dan Snyder, but the team will have limited options if it is forced to make wholesale cuts Thursday.

that shows some good character by him and the unnamed others.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:00 pm

I like the selfless attitude involved there. Willing to restructure your contract and take less money for the good of the team. Brunell along with whoever else was being referred to there just went up a few spots in my book. ;-D
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:09 pm

very good in my book. Its good to see there are still a few players in the league who play for the love of the game...and not how much money they make.

I wouldnt be surprised if brunell didnt have another good season...good things happen to good people
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:27 am

mattb47 wrote:I like the selfless attitude involved there. Willing to restructure your contract and take less money for the good of the team. Brunell along with whoever else was being referred to there just went up a few spots in my book. ;-D

Brunell didn't have a lot of options... Not that many teams will be in the market for a QB his age... He would have probably had to sign elsewhere for substantially less than the Skins are willing to restructure him for...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:40 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:I like the selfless attitude involved there. Willing to restructure your contract and take less money for the good of the team. Brunell along with whoever else was being referred to there just went up a few spots in my book. ;-D

Brunell didn't have a lot of options... Not that many teams will be in the market for a QB his age... He would have probably had to sign elsewhere for substantially less than the Skins are willing to restructure him for...

I could have seen a team like San Diego bring someone in to backup Rivers if Brees is gone, or maybe Oakland, Detroit, or Green Bay. I think even New Orleans or San Francisco would be options for him as well just in a veteran backup role where he could help the young QBs develop. I think he had a few options, and I still think that it was a darn self-less thing to do. :-b
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:43 am

mattb47 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

I could have seen a team like San Diego bring someone in to backup Rivers if Brees is gone, or maybe Oakland, Detroit, or Green Bay. I think even New Orleans or San Francisco would be options for him as well just in a veteran backup role where he could help the young QBs develop. I think he had a few options, and I still think that it was a darn self-less thing to do. :-b

Sure... There are lots of places that would have signed him as a back-up.... But not for nearly the money he will make re-structuring to start for Washington....

That was kind of my point... That even taking a pay cut, he will make more starting in Washington than trying to sign somewhere else, where he would likely be a back-up, at best....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk