Madison, 3 others released by MIA - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Madison, 3 others released by MIA

Moderator: Football Moderators

Madison, 3 others released by MIA

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:36 am

Linkage

Forced to slash contracts in order to get under the salary cap for 2006, the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday released four veterans, the most notable of which was four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Sam Madison.

The moves saved the team $14.4 million in cap room, but cost the Dolphins some key contributors, and three members of their secondary. In addition to Madison, the team released fellow cornerback Reggie Howard, safety Tebucky Jones and offensive tackle Damion McIntosh.

The release of Jones, who signed with Miami last spring after he was released by New Orleans, netted the largest savings, of $6.5 million. The Dolphins saved $4.275 million in cap space on McIntosh's contract, $2.625 million on Madison and $1 million on Howard. There is no doubt, however, that the jettisoning of Madison, one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks for many seasons, was the deepest cut.

It marks the second spring in a row that Miami has parted with a top cornerback, with the Dolphins having traded Patrick Surtain to Kansas City last year for a second-round draft choice, a move also forced by the team's salary cap overage at the time. For a period of about five seasons, Surtain and Madison formed one of the NFL's elite cornerback tandems.

Madison, 31, said early in the offseason that he would not rework his contract to stay with the team, and conceded that would probably lead to his eventual release. But in recent weeks, Madison indicated that he might be open to readjusting his deal. The two sides were unable to strike an amenable compromise, and Madison was released.

The nine-year veteran, who has 31 career interceptions and 69 passes defensed, will probably generate a healthy market in free agency. Even at his age, Madison is still regarded as a solid cornerback, one who is a terrific presence in the locker room, and teams can never find enough good players at the position. In 138 regular-season appearances, Madison, a former Louisville star selected by Miami in the second round of the 1997 draft, had 354 tackles.

Howard, 28, signed with the Dolphins as an unrestricted free agent in 2004, but never approximated the breakout season he had in Carolina the previous year. The six-year veteran has played in 72 games and has 207 tackles, six interceptions and 22 passes defensed. He could garner some interest around the league as a "nickel" cornerback.

A onetime first-round draft pick of the New England Patriots in 1998, Jones has always been a player with great physical potential, but disappointing production. Jones, 31, has played with the Patriots (1998-2002), Saints (2003-2004) and Dolphins (2005), but rarely made meaningful plays. A big hitter, Jones has been injured for much of his career and has only six career interceptions.

McIntosh played just two seasons in Miami, starting all 16 games at left tackle in 2005, after overcoming a foot injury that slowed him in training camp the previous year. McIntosh is a six-year veteran who played four seasons with the San Diego Chargers before signing with the Dolphins as a free agent in 2004.

Wow...

I know they needed to clear cap, and I know Madison had a big number... but this is gonna hurt.

And also wow... they saved 6.5 cutting Tebucky Jones? I'd say good move there...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wizzle » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 am

So.... how many CB's do they have now? 0 or 1? :-b
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:54 am

consulting nfl.com's depth chart, they have three (maybe two).

Kiwaukee Thomas
Eddie Jackson

and the man affectionately known as T. Daniels ... who has no data or picture on his player page.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby UTLonghorns » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:16 am

Maybe Tenn. Will pick up Madison. ;-D
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:22 am

UTLonghorns wrote:Maybe Tenn. Will pick up Madison. ;-D

Tennessee is in the deepest, darkest depths of cap hell... I doubt they can pick up any of the studs that become cap casualties....

I'm betting Madison ends up in Arizona.... Along with, possibly, Ty Law...

Now, that would be one helluva CB combo... Add Antrell Rolle as the nickel back to the mix, and the Cards would have one of the best secondaries in the league overnight....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:25 am

Arg....Miami seems to be the sexy half-sleeper pick this year, but with their secondary in the state it's in I can't see it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby VaderFin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:03 am

All good moves. Madison's days of being a good corner are long behind him. He has lost a major step. McIntosh played ok and I wouldn't mind seeing him back at a paycut. Jones? Perfect 1 year player for what we paid him last year. If he wants back at a new contract that would be fine as well. Howard blew chunks and should be playing in the CFL.

Travis Daniels started at CB for most of last year and played pretty well for a rookie. Will Poole was set to start before he got hurt in camp and should be our other starter. Draft another CB and probably find one in FA and we are fine at corner.

Not one of those cuts was even a mild surprise.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:26 am

Hey Lovie, remember what Steve Smith did to Peanut in the playoffs? Madison seems mighty fine....
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby JrcWy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Hey Lovie, remember what Steve Smith did to Peanut in the playoffs? Madison seems mighty fine....

I don't know that you want to bring in Sam Madison to fix your problem against Steve Smith...Madison got burnt by Steve Smith for 170 yards and 3 TDs in their week 3 meeting.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:57 pm

JrcWy wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:Hey Lovie, remember what Steve Smith did to Peanut in the playoffs? Madison seems mighty fine....

I don't know that you want to bring in Sam Madison to fix your problem against Steve Smith...Madison got burnt by Steve Smith for 170 yards and 3 TDs in their week 3 meeting.

Damn, is there no one that can fill that gap? :-?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk