The Day the NFL Died?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Day the NFL Died??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:21 pm

The owners met for less then an hour today and unanimously voted to end the talks. :-t
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dystopia » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:23 pm

VaderFin wrote:The owners met for less then an hour today and unanimously voted to end the talks. :-t

Well, shows what I know.
Dystopia
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Well, ESPNEWS just said the FA is being delayed for 3 days...so that means teams have a couple more days to make us wait for the NFL to die. :-P
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:23 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Well, ESPNEWS just said the FA is being delayed for 3 days...so that means teams have a couple more days to make us wait for the NFL to die. :-P

At least it means that there's still a chance though. Because if neither side thought there was a chance to come to an agreement I doubt they would be extending the FA period.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:09 pm

hey we could always got to fantasy football for college. do it by conference. Have the SEC, BE, C-USA, ACC, Big 12, WAC (insert you own) ff league,
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Dystopia wrote:-Currently (allegedly), there are five teams blocking the enhanced revenue sharing that goes to the heart of the CBA mess and the salary cap in particular, since the added revenue sharing would directly relate to the salary cap. Those teams are the Cowboys, the Redskins, the Eagles, the Buccaneers, and the Patriots (more to the point, the owners of the teams). However, if the other 27 teams vote for this the five listed here would be outvoted.

stupid rich teams. those teams want no salary cap so they can start buying championships instead of earning them. thats what makes baseball awful.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
moochman wrote:Actually I think baseball has been bringing more revenues than ever. Feelings about how FA, no cap, and guaranteed contracts changing the power structure of baseball aren't totally right. The Yankees historically have always outspent other teams in baseball and had the advantage in player procurment.

Football is different. Teams who have cheapskate owners: Cardinals, Lions, Iggles to name a few, will suffer. The difference is in the revenue sharing. Ticket sales are cream in the NFL. TV contracts are so lucrative that it is the primary source of money. This means that all teams have a very solid financial basis on which to operatre. There are, in essence, no small market teams. It will be up to the team owners to decide if they want to pocket the cash or use it to field the better team.

i always see you calling the Fords cheap, but what are you basing that on? they just built a new stadium, usually pay players fairly (they dont overspend and end up in cap hell like some teams), paid $25 mil for a coach and axed him halfway through, pay Millen a hefty salary

they might be incompetent as far as running a football team (or a car company), but i never get the impression they dont want to spend money on the team

In recent history they built a stadium that was mostly funded by Ford dollars, but by building the stadium they increased the value of the franchise greatly and will no longer have leasing issues. It was a smart economic move that will save them money now and in the future. They let Jeff Hartings go to Pittsburgh becuase they didn't want to give him another $100,000 bucks. That's cheap.

You need to remember that the only reason they spend as much as they do on players is because of the cap. Before the cap came into being the Lions never came close to spending the money that other teams were.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk