Abraham Already Traded - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Abraham Already Traded

Moderator: Football Moderators

Abraham Already Traded

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:37 pm

Abraham on way out

A trade of Jets defensive end John Abraham is "pretty much done," according to an NFL source, but that transaction along with many others by the Jets and other teams continued to be impacted by the league's growing labor crisis.

Details of the swap were sketchy -- the trading partner and what the Jets would get in return for dealing their disgruntled sackmaster were unspecified. But this much is known: An Abraham trade won't help the Jets get under the salary cap by today's 10 p.m. deadline.

By one accounting, the Jets are $11.1 million over the projected cap of $94.5 million, and a large portion of that figure is the $8.33 million for the franchise tag they pinned on Abraham for the second straight year.

But the Jets can't trade Abraham until the start of the NFL's new calendar year at midnight, meaning they must clear money by this afternoon in other ways.

They could do it by releasing center Kevin Mawae, guard Pete Kendall or both. Mawae is due to count slightly less than $4.5 million under the cap, Kendall slightly more. There are also talks aimed at reducing the cap figures of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and others.The Jets also will reluctantly allow tight end Chris Baker to become an unrestricted free agent Friday.

-- Randy Lange

No Link, FWIW... found it on a forum

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:18 pm

interesting... though no link? sounds a little sketchy. They might at least include the team he is supposedly going to.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby merc » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:21 pm

He's going to the Texans along with the Jets first round draft choice, in exchange for the Texan's number one pick.

Jeez... at least that's what I hope happened.... :-D
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:24 pm

merc wrote:He's going to the Texans along with the Jets first round draft choice, in exchange for the Texan's number one pick.

Jeez... at least that's what I hope happened.... :-D

I think its a possibility, except that NYJ would be trading picks, not just getting HOU's outright. They might also have to part with a laste-rounder, too.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:29 pm

Going to need alot better info and source to belive that.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:42 pm

A 1st round swap for Abraham would be great for the Texans, though I would imagine it's cheaper than the cost of most #1 overalls, so maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder at least would also be involved.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:33 pm

Latest from ESPN insider

Abraham, Jets set to part ways
<Mar. 2> According to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, Abraham is ready to move on from the Jets and has already begun exploring his options.
"Right now we are in the process of not only looking at the Jets, but we are also looking at the possibility of a trade," Abraham's agent, Tony Agnone said. "We are exploring other possibilities along with the Jets. We feel John probably will not be back in New York."

Agnone has tried to contact every team in the league and there are four or five teams showing serious interest, but he has not started negotiations with those teams.

The feeling appears to be mutual as the Jets, who designated Abraham a franchise player for the second consecutive year, have been offering him in trade talks during the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, and have discussed potential scenarios with a number of teams.

While no deal appears imminent, the Redskins and Broncos have emerged as potential landing spots for the disgruntled defensive end.

The Broncos are looking to replace released DE Trevor Pryce might be Abraham, The Denver Post speculates, but it's doubtful the team will be able to accommodate Abraham's $8.33 million salary without making another round of cost-cutting moves.

According to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, the Jets were offering Abraham in trade talks during the NFL scouting combine. Although the Jets have discussed potential scenarios with a number of teams, it's believed the talks have not moved to the substantive stage with any suitors.

Among the teams with whom the Jets have spoken are the Redskins and the Broncos, reports Pasquarelli.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features ... ateChanged
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby confused_jake » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:37 pm

If someone signs him, don't they have to give up 2 1st rounders? or is that on some other condition?
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:40 pm

confused_jake wrote:If someone signs him, don't they have to give up 2 1st rounders? or is that on some other condition?

i know thats the policy with restricted free agents, and because he is being traded, that isnt an issue.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby VaderFin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:45 pm

confused_jake wrote:If someone signs him, don't they have to give up 2 1st rounders? or is that on some other condition?

If someone signs him yes it is 2 first rounders due to the Franchise Tag. Why the Jets are trying to trade him because no one is gonna sign him and give up 2 firsts.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk