McNair to stay with Titans 1 more year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McNair to stay with Titans 1 more year

Moderator: Football Moderators

McNair to stay with Titans 1 more year

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:39 pm

Agent: Titans pay $1 million to keep McNair
NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (March 2, 2006) --The Tennessee Titans decided to pay a $1 million fee that will keep quarterback Steve McNair with the team this season but allow him to become a free agent after 2006.

The move means the Titans won't have to pay a $50 million option that would have extended McNair's contract through 2009, the quarterback's agent said. Still, McNair will take up more than a quarter of the team's salary-cap space.

The future of the NFL's 2003 co-MVP had been in doubt with the Titans facing pressure to get under the cap by March 2.

"What this amounts to is they decided to pay $1 million and not add three years to his contract, so this is his last year. At the end of this year, Steve will be a free agent," agent Bus Cook said.

In addition to the deal for McNair, the Titans released left tackle Brad Hopkins, a 13-year veteran, and gave right guard Benji Olson a new four-year deal to help get under the salary cap.

Even with the deal, Cook said McNair's salary-cap number for 2006 will be $23.4 million. The cap right now is $94.5 million.

McNair, who shared the MVP award with Peyton Manning of Indianapolis three years ago, started 15 games in 2005 and threw for 3,161 yards. He has a won-lost record of 81-59 in his career.

He also is one of only five NFL players to throw for 25,000 yards and run for 3,000 more, along with John Elway, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young and Randall Cunningham. He currently has 27,141 yards passing in his career.

McNair is one of only two players left on the roster from the team's days as the Houston Oilers. The other was Hopkins, who wasn't surprised when he got the word he was being cut.

The Titans came into the week an estimated $18.7 million over the salary cap.

Mark Bartelstein, Hopkins' agent, didn't rule out his client returning to the team that drafted him in the first round in 1993. Hopkins ranks third in team history in games played with 194 and second in starts by an offensive lineman with 188, behind Bruce Matthews.

I figured they would keep him for at least 1 more year so that whoever they draft can work under him for a year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 pm

sounds like Vince Young to Tenn to me.

Besides being a great tutor, Vince knew McNair from some football camp he attended, and Vince is pretty much his protege.

Good move by Tenn. Good to see McNair stick around another season.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:27 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:sounds like Vince Young to Tenn to me.

Besides being a great tutor, Vince knew McNair from some football camp he attended, and Vince is pretty much his protege.

Good move by Tenn. Good to see McNair stick around another season.

I can tell you are not a Titans fan! Mc9's time has come and gone even though we know he is still >> All, its time to move on. Hope fully he will mostly be helping out the new QB. Please do not let it be YOUNG!!!! We are due AT LEAST one more year of mediocrity anyway so it doesent really matter.

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:30 pm

you dont think McNair can play anymore? It seemed like he had a pretty decent year last year. If he is not going to start who is?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:32 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:you dont think McNair can play anymore? It seemed like he had a pretty decent year last year. If he is not going to start who is?

Hes still got some game left in him. He struggled last year due to injury forcing his throws to always be off and throwing to basically an all new WR corps. I just think his body has had enough and he will just keep getting injured. Im happy that he will be there to groom our future QB though.

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:39 pm

TN_Titans_05 wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:you dont think McNair can play anymore? It seemed like he had a pretty decent year last year. If he is not going to start who is?

Hes still got some game left in him. He struggled last year due to injury forcing his throws to always be off and throwing to basically an all new WR corps. I just think his body has had enough and he will just keep getting injured. Im happy that he will be there to groom our future QB though.

im guessing he has anywhere from 1-3 years left. he has always been hurt and played through it, and it shows his toughness, which i respect in any player, but it wears on a player after a while.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
TN_Titans_05 wrote:

im guessing he has anywhere from 1-3 years left. he has always been hurt and played through it, and it shows his toughness, which i respect in any player, but it wears on a player after a while.

Yea he plays through it but thats not always the best thing.....

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Depending on who they draft, I would like to see what Volek can do with a full year of gameplay. They redid his contract also I think, I read it on the ESPN news ticker.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby confused_jake » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:18 pm

maybe its just me, but it seems like the "contract options" they put in contracts are just to make the players think they are getting more money. Does it say that he could have made $50 million this year? Thats more than half the cap.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 pm

confused_jake wrote:maybe its just me, but it seems like the "contract options" they put in contracts are just to make the players think they are getting more money. Does it say that he could have made $50 million this year? Thats more than half the cap.

it was a 3 year option. he wouldve made 50 million over a 3 year span.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk