McNair to stay with Titans 1 more year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McNair to stay with Titans 1 more year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby confused_jake » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:20 pm

oooo yeah i probably should have read that article closer huh? haha oh well ok that isn't as bad then.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: McNair to stay with Titans 1 more year

Postby Crimedogg32 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:55 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Agent: Titans pay $1 million to keep McNair
NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (March 2, 2006) --The Tennessee Titans decided to pay a $1 million fee that will keep quarterback Steve McNair with the team this season but allow him to become a free agent after 2006.

The move means the Titans won't have to pay a $50 million option that would have extended McNair's contract through 2009, the quarterback's agent said. Still, McNair will take up more than a quarter of the team's salary-cap space.

The future of the NFL's 2003 co-MVP had been in doubt with the Titans facing pressure to get under the cap by March 2.

"What this amounts to is they decided to pay $1 million and not add three years to his contract, so this is his last year. At the end of this year, Steve will be a free agent," agent Bus Cook said.

In addition to the deal for McNair, the Titans released left tackle Brad Hopkins, a 13-year veteran, and gave right guard Benji Olson a new four-year deal to help get under the salary cap.

Even with the deal, Cook said McNair's salary-cap number for 2006 will be $23.4 million. The cap right now is $94.5 million.

McNair, who shared the MVP award with Peyton Manning of Indianapolis three years ago, started 15 games in 2005 and threw for 3,161 yards. He has a won-lost record of 81-59 in his career.

He also is one of only five NFL players to throw for 25,000 yards and run for 3,000 more, along with John Elway, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young and Randall Cunningham. He currently has 27,141 yards passing in his career.

McNair is one of only two players left on the roster from the team's days as the Houston Oilers. The other was Hopkins, who wasn't surprised when he got the word he was being cut.

The Titans came into the week an estimated $18.7 million over the salary cap.

Mark Bartelstein, Hopkins' agent, didn't rule out his client returning to the team that drafted him in the first round in 1993. Hopkins ranks third in team history in games played with 194 and second in starts by an offensive lineman with 188, behind Bruce Matthews.

I figured they would keep him for at least 1 more year so that whoever they draft can work under him for a year.

wow I find that just amazing
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:20 am

TN_Titans_05 wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:sounds like Vince Young to Tenn to me.

Besides being a great tutor, Vince knew McNair from some football camp he attended, and Vince is pretty much his protege.

Good move by Tenn. Good to see McNair stick around another season.

I can tell you are not a Titans fan! Mc9's time has come and gone even though we know he is still >> All, its time to move on. Hope fully he will mostly be helping out the new QB. Please do not let it be YOUNG!!!! We are due AT LEAST one more year of mediocrity anyway so it doesent really matter.

re-read what I wrote. Where do I say anything about Stevie Mac PLAYING? I said he would be coming back as a tutor. You just argued against your own opinion.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby UTLonghorns » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:23 am

Lets milk this last season for the best. Young will step in, and light things up.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Football Talk