Culpepper Traded To Rams (Rumor) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Culpepper Traded To Rams (Rumor)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mikus » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:30 pm

proven starter? marc bulger has his own injury concerns to deal with ... how about making it through an entire season without getting injured? i like bulger as much as the next guy, but he hasn't "proven" anything yet, other than the fact that he has a propensity for injury.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:05 pm

mikus wrote:proven starter? marc bulger has his own injury concerns to deal with ... how about making it through an entire season without getting injured? i like bulger as much as the next guy, but he hasn't "proven" anything yet, other than the fact that he has a propensity for injury.

He's put up pretty good numbers.

Right now, I'd much rather have Bulger than a running QB coming off a horrific knee injury.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby michaelavelli » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 pm

I agree that this trade doesn't make a lot of sense. In my mind, right now, Bulger > Culpepper.

Bulger has been throwing up big numbrs. His shoulder injury is not serious. If you had him on your team this year, you'd remember that he kept "almost" playing towards the end of the season. It was quite frustrating. Anyway, the point is, I think if the Rams had anything to play for, Bulger would've played. Not a long-term injury problem.

Culpepper, on the other hand, basically had a grenade go off inside one of his knees. Bad knews even if he WASN'T a mobile QB...which obviously he is.

Not to mention, while I don't know Bulger's contract, Culpepper's contract is like one of the highest in QB NFL history, which would drop his value (relative to Bulger) even less.

I would think also that Bulger for Culpepper + picks would be more believable.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby inferno19 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:41 pm

This should put the Culpepper to Arizona for the greatest offense of all time rumours to bed.
I was sick of them.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:10 pm

This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Why on Earth would STL even consider this? I get the Linehan connection but come on....Nick Saban coached Matt Mauck and I don't exactly see the trading for him..

Bulger hasn't proven himself? Please. All that time he missed was a couple games prior to this season, this is the only year he's had real injury problems and he's been great when healthy.

On the other hand, not only is Cpepp coming off that huge injury, but he looked awful even before he got hurt.

Terrible terrible trade for the Rams if this is for real.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:11 pm

There is no way this deal is for real. This woudl be the bonehead move of the century.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ydub » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:18 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Cpepper for Bulger and a pick!?!? Maybe if we went back in time to preseason 2005....I know Bulger may be injury prone, but Cpepp's career might be done after that last hit for all we know. You would think that Bulger is worth Culpepper + picks right now, not the other way around.

I don't know why the Ram's would mess with what is working now anyways, unless Bulger is having problems picking up the new system.

What's working? The Rams are 14 - 18 the last two seasons. Bulger's never played a full 16 game slate (Culpepper has done it three times). Bulger's never thrown more than 22 TD's in a season(Culpepper's done it 3 times). Bulger needs time to aquaint himself with Linehan's offense (Culpepper doesn't). Culpepper clearly needs elite WR talent to compete at a high level (which QB other than Trent Green ;-7 doesn't). The Rams have it. The Vikings don't. Linehan likes to throw the ball downfield. Bulger can't. C-Pepp can. Sure, Culpepper's injury is a concern. But Bulger's various aches and ailments are always a concern. There's always a certain amount of risk associated with a move like this but if C-Pepp can be 75% of what he was pre-injury...this is an upgrade over Bulger.

On the other hand the Vikes could use a model citizen, a QB who's willing to hand over the reigns to Brad Johnson for another season without rocking the (love) boat. Frankly, they need the President and CEO of the "get-along-gang" and Bulger strikes me as exactly that.

Bottom line: I would be shocked if a deal this nutty (starting QB for a....starting QB?) actually materialized. But if it did I really wouldn't be surprised if it worked out for both teams.
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:42 pm

Bulger can't throw downfield? Did you sleep through the last 3 years?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:04 pm

Ydub wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Cpepper for Bulger and a pick!?!? Maybe if we went back in time to preseason 2005....I know Bulger may be injury prone, but Cpepp's career might be done after that last hit for all we know. You would think that Bulger is worth Culpepper + picks right now, not the other way around.

I don't know why the Ram's would mess with what is working now anyways, unless Bulger is having problems picking up the new system.

What's working? The Rams are 14 - 18 the last two seasons. Bulger's never played a full 16 game slate (Culpepper has done it three times). Bulger's never thrown more than 22 TD's in a season(Culpepper's done it 3 times). Bulger needs time to aquaint himself with Linehan's offense (Culpepper doesn't). Culpepper clearly needs elite WR talent to compete at a high level (which QB other than Trent Green ;-7 doesn't). The Rams have it. The Vikings don't. Linehan likes to throw the ball downfield. Bulger can't. C-Pepp can. Sure, Culpepper's injury is a concern. But Bulger's various aches and ailments are always a concern. There's always a certain amount of risk associated with a move like this but if C-Pepp can be 75% of what he was pre-injury...this is an upgrade over Bulger.

On the other hand the Vikes could use a model citizen, a QB who's willing to hand over the reigns to Brad Johnson for another season without rocking the (love) boat. Frankly, they need the President and CEO of the "get-along-gang" and Bulger strikes me as exactly that.

Bottom line: I would be shocked if a deal this nutty (starting QB for a....starting QB?) actually materialized. But if it did I really wouldn't be surprised if it worked out for both teams.

Some good points...not sure about Bulger not being able to throw downfield though - what is that based on? When I first looked at this possible deal I didnt think it was that bad of a move by either team. If the Rams are able to somehow restructure Culpepper's contract (put in more incentives, less guaranteed $ perhaps? I dont know his contract as it is now) then maybe it could work out. If both are healthy (a big if), then I would tend to take Culpepper over Bulger (everyone has that one down year). Culpepper + Holt 8-o

I am surprised Oakland hasnt showed more interest.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:05 pm

John Clayton - Oakland more involved than any other team. Trying to complete a trade by later today.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk