Culpepper Traded To Rams (Rumor) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Culpepper Traded To Rams (Rumor)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The_Dude » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:07 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:John Clayton - Oakland more involved than any other team. Trying to complete a trade by later today.

So, can we quit posting in this thread since it looks like he's not going to the Rams... we have two threads on the same thing right now.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Ydub » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:07 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Bulger can't throw downfield? Did you sleep through the last 3 years?

As a matter of fact I have slept through the majority of the last few years. However, every once In awhile I would come out of hibernation and catch Rams game.

Seriously, Bulger's arm strength is average at best. The deep ball never has been a major component of Martz' offense and consequently Bulger's numbers are a product carefully timed "window" or "spot" throws. More often than not he throws to predetermined "spot" on the field which allows his receivers to catch the football in stride (if they make it to the "window" on time). This produces a number of 20+ yard plays but it certainly doesn't mean the Bulger's arm strength is superior. He rarely throws deep and when he does his passes usually have too much arc and tend to hang which leads to incomplete passes and INT's (he throws plenty of those).

Did you ever see Bulger compete in the Quarterback Challenge? If you had you probably would've noticed that he finished dead last each time he competed in the long distance throw. In fact, I believe his best throw in the comp was 48 yards in 2003. Hey, don't take my word for it...

Pro Football Weekly:

"Bulger has average arm strength and has to make throws based on anticipating where receivers will be instead of hitting them in perfect stride. For that reason, Bulger’s interception totals are likely to be higher. He has a quick release and is very deft in pre-snap coverage reads. But the lack of exceptional arm strength makes life difficult for Bulger in the red zone, where his struggles are well-documented. With the short field, defensive backs can clamp on to Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce and force Bulger to make perfect throws. Too often, and especially in the face of pressure, Bulger can misfire."
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:09 pm

The_Dude wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:John Clayton - Oakland more involved than any other team. Trying to complete a trade by later today.

So, can we quit posting in this thread since it looks like he's not going to the Rams... we have two threads on the same thing right now.

Did not see the other thread - are we policing these threads now? ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ydub » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:15 pm

The_Dude wrote:

Are you serious? Clayton may or may not be right (he's frequently wrong), but until a deal is officially announced by Oakland and St. Louis why can't the posters have a bit of fun with a silly rumor? Forgive me for being so blunt, but I guess the bottom line is this: Why do you care? ;-D
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:55 pm

Ydub wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Cpepper for Bulger and a pick!?!? Maybe if we went back in time to preseason 2005....I know Bulger may be injury prone, but Cpepp's career might be done after that last hit for all we know. You would think that Bulger is worth Culpepper + picks right now, not the other way around.

I don't know why the Ram's would mess with what is working now anyways, unless Bulger is having problems picking up the new system.

What's working? The Rams are 14 - 18 the last two seasons. Bulger's never played a full 16 game slate (Culpepper has done it three times). Bulger's never thrown more than 22 TD's in a season(Culpepper's done it 3 times). Bulger needs time to aquaint himself with Linehan's offense (Culpepper doesn't). Culpepper clearly needs elite WR talent to compete at a high level (which QB other than Trent Green ;-7 doesn't). The Rams have it. The Vikings don't. Linehan likes to throw the ball downfield. Bulger can't. C-Pepp can. Sure, Culpepper's injury is a concern. But Bulger's various aches and ailments are always a concern. There's always a certain amount of risk associated with a move like this but if C-Pepp can be 75% of what he was pre-injury...this is an upgrade over Bulger.

On the other hand the Vikes could use a model citizen, a QB who's willing to hand over the reigns to Brad Johnson for another season without rocking the (love) boat. Frankly, they need the President and CEO of the "get-along-gang" and Bulger strikes me as exactly that.

Bottom line: I would be shocked if a deal this nutty (starting QB for a....starting QB?) actually materialized. But if it did I really wouldn't be surprised if it worked out for both teams.

The Rams are 14-18 because of defense. If you don't realize this, I'm wondering if you watch football or just Sportscenter.

Bulge doesn't have the TDs, but he's a lot smarter and more accurate.

In addition to Trent Green, other QBs without high quality WRs that do well are Drew Brees and (I hate using him as an example but) Tom Brady. Also, Torry Holt turns 31 in June. How many more years are we going to see out of Torry? Then where does CPepp go?

No change in offensive schemes. Ok, I'll say you have that point.

Bulger can't throw downfield... Ok, I'd say pbbbbbbbbbbbbttttttttt ;-7

Bulger's "aches and ailments" = caused him to miss 11 games in 3 years.
CPepp's "aches and ailments" = caused him to miss 11 games in three years

75% of Cpepp > Bulger? Remember CPepp pre-injury? 6 TD, 12 INT? Tell you what, I'll take my chances with Marc.

Overall, you made one point. But no coach is willing to take a downgrade at QB in order to get one he's familiar with... unless Linehan's a moron. We shall see.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:20 pm

22 TDs.... but 300+ yards a game.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:35 pm

Ydub wrote:"Bulger has average arm strength and has to make throws based on anticipating where receivers will be instead of hitting them in perfect stride. For that reason, Bulger’s interception totals are likely to be higher. He has a quick release and is very deft in pre-snap coverage reads. But the lack of exceptional arm strength makes life difficult for Bulger in the red zone, where his struggles are well-documented. With the short field, defensive backs can clamp on to Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce and force Bulger to make perfect throws. Too often, and especially in the face of pressure, Bulger can misfire."

Here is my comparison critique on Culpepper:

"Culpepper has above average arm strength, yet he has trouble anticipating where WRs will be and hitting them in stride. For that reason, Culpepper was a total bust in 2005 before he suffered a season-ending triple threat injury, torn ACL/MCL/PCL, that was horrific to watch and may have signaled the end of his career. Culpepper has a quick release but he tends to hold onto the ball too long, nullifying any presnap reads he has made. Exceptional arm strength should make life easy for Culpepper in the redzone, but without Randy Moss his struggles are well- documented. With the short field, Culpepper has even less time to sit in the pocket twiddling his thumbs waiting for Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor to get open, and it forces Culpepper to run the ball at ill-advised moments. Too often, especially in the face of a 4-man rush, Culpepper takes sacks. "
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:10 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Ydub wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Cpepper for Bulger and a pick!?!? Maybe if we went back in time to preseason 2005....I know Bulger may be injury prone, but Cpepp's career might be done after that last hit for all we know. You would think that Bulger is worth Culpepper + picks right now, not the other way around.

I don't know why the Ram's would mess with what is working now anyways, unless Bulger is having problems picking up the new system.

What's working? The Rams are 14 - 18 the last two seasons. Bulger's never played a full 16 game slate (Culpepper has done it three times). Bulger's never thrown more than 22 TD's in a season(Culpepper's done it 3 times). Bulger needs time to aquaint himself with Linehan's offense (Culpepper doesn't). Culpepper clearly needs elite WR talent to compete at a high level (which QB other than Trent Green ;-7 doesn't). The Rams have it. The Vikings don't. Linehan likes to throw the ball downfield. Bulger can't. C-Pepp can. Sure, Culpepper's injury is a concern. But Bulger's various aches and ailments are always a concern. There's always a certain amount of risk associated with a move like this but if C-Pepp can be 75% of what he was pre-injury...this is an upgrade over Bulger.

On the other hand the Vikes could use a model citizen, a QB who's willing to hand over the reigns to Brad Johnson for another season without rocking the (love) boat. Frankly, they need the President and CEO of the "get-along-gang" and Bulger strikes me as exactly that.

Bottom line: I would be shocked if a deal this nutty (starting QB for a....starting QB?) actually materialized. But if it did I really wouldn't be surprised if it worked out for both teams.

The Rams are 14-18 because of defense. If you don't realize this, I'm wondering if you watch football or just Sportscenter.

Bulge doesn't have the TDs, but he's a lot smarter and more accurate.

In addition to Trent Green, other QBs without high quality WRs that do well are Drew Brees and (I hate using him as an example but) Tom Brady. Also, Torry Holt turns 31 in June. How many more years are we going to see out of Torry? Then where does CPepp go?

No change in offensive schemes. Ok, I'll say you have that point.

Bulger can't throw downfield... Ok, I'd say pbbbbbbbbbbbbttttttttt ;-7

Bulger's "aches and ailments" = caused him to miss 11 games in 3 years.
CPepp's "aches and ailments" = caused him to miss 11 games in three years

75% of Cpepp > Bulger? Remember CPepp pre-injury? 6 TD, 12 INT? Tell you what, I'll take my chances with Marc.

Overall, you made one point. But no coach is willing to take a downgrade at QB in order to get one he's familiar with... unless Linehan's a moron. We shall see.

Brees had Gates - the best receiving TE in the game - I would say thats a pretty good target. As well LT is a great receiver out of the backfield and McCardell can hold his own.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:12 am

Rams | Team not interested in Culpepper
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:11:39 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams officials adamantly denied any interest in Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper Friday, March 10, in the wake of new speculation involving Culpepper and the Rams. Since Culpepper is still under contract, tampering rules hindered the Rams from commenting directly. Speaking on the condition of anonymity, one team official wisecracked: "We may be going to Culpepper's for lunch, but we're not going to Culpepper for quarterback," referring to the popular restaurant in St. Louis.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby drmoses » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:15 am

Be very clear...

Marc Bulger only got hurt last year because he tried to stop a turnover from being a touhdown...

Was it a boneheaded move to hit a guy with his throwing shoulder? Yes.

Gotta love his heart though.
Steve Young is Jesus...
drmoses
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk