Brees bashes Chargers for not resigning him - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brees bashes Chargers for not resigning him

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brees bashes Chargers for not resigning him

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:31 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=2363200

Brees on Bolts: 'I can't promise you what happens if I'm not there'
Associated Press
National Football League News Wire

SAN DIEGO -- Where the San Diego Chargers see only a damaged shoulder, Drew Brees sees much more.

Which is why Brees feels the Chargers are making a big mistake in essentially shoving him out the door by letting him test the free-agent market.

"I've always believed that this can be a successful organization, and I believe that the time is now," the quarterback said Friday afternoon, hours before free agency began. "That time is only now if I'm there, I can promise you that. I can't promise you what happens if I'm not there."

Odds are pretty good that Brees, 20-11 the last two seasons, won't be back for a sixth year with the Chargers. As disappointed as Brees is with the Chargers for failing to make him an acceptable contract offer, he expects to reach a quick deal with another team.

"We've already got things lined up, and we'll be rocking and rolling the minute the clock strikes midnight," Brees said from Birmingham, Ala., where he continues to rehab his surgically repaired right shoulder.

Suitors are expected to include New Orleans and Miami, among others.

If Brees leaves, the Chargers would lose a Pro Bowler who led them to their only playoff appearance in the last decade, in 2004. Taking his place would be Philip Rivers, the fourth pick overall in the 2004 draft who has thrown only 30 passes the last two seasons.

With the Chargers already out of playoff contention due to a late-season collapse, Brees tore the labrum and damaged the rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder while trying to recover a fumble in the meaningless finale. He had surgery on Jan. 5. The day before, general manager A.J. Smith called Brees in an attempt to put his mind at ease, telling him the team would try to get a long-term deal done.

Talks went nowhere and the Chargers, who've said they have plenty of room under the salary cap, declined to designate Brees as its franchise or transition player. That would have guaranteed Brees nearly $10 million in salary next season.

Smith recently said the team has "medical concerns," declining to elaborate.

Brees said his rehab is ahead of schedule, and Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery, expects a full recovery.

"Of course they made their offer and they called it their attempt at a long-term deal, one year with a five-year option," Brees said. "I understand everyone has their concerns, but I invite anybody to come here and look me in the eye and tell me I'm not going to come back from this."

Brees, who's meshed well with star running back LaDainian Tomlinson and helped turn tight end Antonio Gates into a two-time All-Pro, said the worse-case scenario would be that he wouldn't take a snap this year.

"But there's plenty of upside, and that's that I'm going to come back and be better than ever," he said.

Brees said that even if he wasn't able to play right away in the fall, he'd still be able to work with the younger quarterbacks and provide leadership. Brees was the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year in 2004, when he led the Chargers to the AFC West title at 12-4.

"If I leave and go somewhere else and be very successful like I plan on doing, they have a lot to lose," Brees added. "I guess in a way, I've laid my butt on the line for them a lot in the last five years. There have been ups and downs, and I laid my butt on line. I wish there was somebody there who would lay their butt on the line for me, besides the head coach and the players."

Smith's name was conspicuously missing.

"Did A.J. draft me? No," Brees said. "Did A.J. draft Philip? Enough said."

Brees was drafted with the first pick of the second round in 2001 by John Butler, who died of cancer in April 2003. Smith was promoted to replace Butler 11 days later. After Brees' dismal 2003 season, Smith took Eli Manning with the first pick in the 2004 draft, then traded him to the New York Giants for Rivers and a handful of picks. But Rivers held out, allowing Brees to keep his job.

Smith didn't return a phone call on Friday.

Smith's decision to let Brees walk added to the friction he's had with coach Marty Schottenheimer. Schottenheimer was unhappy when Smith traded third-string quarterback Cleo Lemon to Miami for A.J. Feeley and a draft pick during last season. And Smith was believed to be upset that Schottenheimer didn't start Rivers over Brees in the meaningless season finale. Rivers looked shaky when he replaced the injured Brees.

"I know they've got issues that are beyond me," Brees said.

Smith's decision to become a free agent seemingly goes against two of his core beliefs: quarterback depth, which is why he wouldn't trade Brees or Rivers, and taking care of the team's own players first

While wishing the best for the players and coaches he'd leave behind, Brees sagely noted: "They've got to get another quarterback, anyway."

San Diego's other quarterback, Feeley, didn't play after his midseason acquisition from Miami, where he was a bust.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:35 pm

Brees should bash them for not resigning him. Especially with this new CBa giving every team a more room than expected, he is easily worth the price even if they had to franchise tag him again until they could work out a long-term deal.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby inferno19 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:48 pm

Classy.

Maybe he should rehab his shoulder and lead a team like NO (without Gates) to a playoff berth before he starts playing the "I made the Chargers" card.

It's not as though they're an old team that is going into instant full-out rebuilding, they're in a steady process. The only pieces that I can foresee leaving due to age in the near future are Edwards, McCardell and Neal, all to retirement. They already have a strong LB core, especially with Merriman in the mix, and Neal will be missed, but LT has shown he can do his thing alone, too. As for McCardell, they should be fine with Caldwell, Vincent Jackson, and Chad Jackson, whom they're expected to draft.

This year will be a bit of rebuilding, for sure.
This year, I think they should sign a DB to bolster the secondary.
And sign a backup vet QB, to teach Rivers while he is starting, cause it sure as hell isn't going to be Brees. Brees has MVP awards to win.

Watch him rot on a team without arguably the best TE and RB in the game.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:07 pm

So... many... Brees... threads...

Seriously though, Id be pretty mad if I was Brees.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:38 pm

Sounds like there's a massive chip on his shoulder. It's justified to be sure.

People with a chip on their shoulder react strongly one way or the other. With Brees, I think it lights the fire and will really keep him motivated to succeed.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:45 pm

inferno19 wrote:Classy.

Maybe he should rehab his shoulder and lead a team like NO (without Gates) to a playoff berth before he starts playing the "I made the Chargers" card.

OK. Fine by me. C'mon Drew!
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:20 am

Same situation as Culpepper - sure he has proven himself in the past but you basically have to take a one yr contract in this situation and prove yourself again.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UNDEFEATED » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:27 am

It's not as though they're an old team that is going into instant full-out rebuilding, they're in a steady process. The only pieces that I can foresee leaving due to age in the near future are Edwards, McCardell and Neal, all to retirement. They already have a strong LB core, especially with Merriman in the mix, and Neal will be missed, but LT has shown he can do his thing alone, too. As for McCardell, they should be fine with Caldwell, Vincent Jackson, and Chad Jackson, whom they're expected to draft.

And sign a backup vet QB, to teach Rivers while he is starting, cause it sure as hell isn't going to be Brees. Brees has MVP awards to win.

Being a charger fan... You should be the first to know that the Spanos family and their front office run a dog and pony show every off-season.

1-Forcing LT to wait into training camp before signing him...ridiculous

2-More recently Gates and his contract dispute leading to his suspension...possibly costing them a victory or two and a possible playoff birth...They were probably going to sign him to a nice contract the following season anyways. Why not hook the guy up a season ahead of time? Without the stare down contest.

Its annoying becuz they know they are going to sign their boys but they wait till the cows come home b4 they make their move...playing chicken with their stars or productive players is going to cost them big one day.

Would A Gates be the heir to the TE throne without Brees?

Maybe just maybe Brees is the reason Gates blossomed into the leagues most productive te... Putting the Gonzo vs Gates arguement to rest...About who the Real "G" is....now!

I am a big time chargers fan...straight behind my raiders.

Brees has every right to speak his mind about the Chargers. Good or Bad. Anybody who faults him for that...doesn't know jack about life. Or simply allows homerism to cloud their minds vs being a reasonable-rational human being.

If it were you...i think you would be singing a different tune.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 pm

The Chargers are stupid. Last time I read they had plenty of cap room. Sign Brees and if his shoulder is screwed start Rivers. Seems like a perfect situation for a team with tons of cap room.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:54 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:

Being a charger fan... You should be the first to know that the Spanos family and their front office run a dog and pony show every off-season.

1-Forcing LT to wait into training camp before signing him...ridiculous

2-More recently Gates and his contract dispute leading to his suspension...possibly costing them a victory or two and a possible playoff birth...They were probably going to sign him to a nice contract the following season anyways. Why not hook the guy up a season ahead of time? Without the stare down contest.

Its annoying becuz they know they are going to sign their boys but they wait till the cows come home b4 they make their move...playing chicken with their stars or productive players is going to cost them big one day.

Would A Gates be the heir to the TE throne without Brees?

Maybe just maybe Brees is the reason Gates blossomed into the leagues most productive te... Putting the Gonzo vs Gates arguement to rest...About who the Real "G" is....now!

I am a big time chargers fan...straight behind my raiders.

Brees has every right to speak his mind about the Chargers. Good or Bad. Anybody who faults him for that...doesn't know jack about life. Or simply allows homerism to cloud their minds vs being a reasonable-rational human being.

If it were you...i think you would be singing a different tune.

Thank you!

I think the majority of the nation looks at LT's contract and they don't understand just how brutal Spanos is to this players and draftees. I like the Chargers too (of course no where near my Cowboys), but I think only Chargers fans and SD locals can appreciates the fiscal policies of Spanos and AJ.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk