Griese cut - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Griese cut

Moderator: Football Moderators

Griese cut

Postby Wizzle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:23 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2363286

Add another quarterback, at least temporarily, to the list of veteran passers available in free agency.

The Tampa Bay Bucs on Friday night released former starter Brian Griese, who lost his job to Chris Simms in 2005 when he suffered a season-ending knee injury after leading the club to a 5-1 start. But how long the eight-year veteran will stay unemployed remains to be seen.

Releasing Griese, who was due a $2.6 million roster bonus on Saturday that would have pushed his salary cap charge to $7.08 million, was a move that has been anticipated for weeks. Tampa Bay officials have been discussing with agent Ralph Cindrich all week the potential for a restructured contract, and there is still a decent chance the Bucs will quickly re-sign the veteran passer to a more palatable deal.

Cindrich acknowledged Friday night that there is a proposal on the table and that the two sides likely will resume negotiations on Saturday, with the aim of having Griese re-join the team. But if the Bucs don't act quickly, Griese will explore other options.

By cutting Griese, the Bucs saved not only the $2.6 million roster bonus, but also shaved $4.549 million from their 2006 salary cap. Tampa Bay also released offensive lineman Matt Stinchcomb and linebacker Jeff Gooch, and restructured some contracts, to squeeze under the league-mandated spending limit of $102 million. All teams had to be in compliance with the salary cap by Friday evening.

Bucs team officials and coach Jon Gruden have reiterated in recent days their desire to keep Griese, but acknowledged his current contract was prohibitive, particularly since he figured to go to training camp as the No. 2 quarterback, behind Simms. Having played well in the Tampa Bay offense when he started, and facing a glutted quarterback market in free agency, Griese has indicated he will consider re-signing, but only under the right financial conditions.

It's believed that Griese and Cindrich are seeking a contract that would protect the veteran quarterback in the event he regains the starting job. That would probably mean a deal with plenty of incentives based on playing time and performance.

Griese, 30, completed 112 of 174 passes for 1,136 yards, with seven touchdown passes and seven interceptions in 2005 before suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He had led a resurgence of the Bucs offense, and of his own career as well, in playing productively in a Gruden-designed offense that melds nicely with his strengths. But Simms played well as a replacement for Griese, appears to be the quarterback for the long-term future of the franchise, and recently signed a one-year, $2.1 contract.

In eight seasons, Griese has completed 1,463 of 2,318 passes for 16,344 yards, with 103 touchdown passes and 78 interceptions, for a career efficiency rating of 84.8. A former University of Michigan star, Griese has started in 72 of 75 appearances with Denver (1998-2002), Miami (2003) and Tampa Bay (2004-2005).

He should get picked up rather quickly by someone.
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:23 am

Guess they're stuck on Simms now...from one former QB's kid to another. :-D

I would think there will be some teams who could use a backup QB with starting experience...Griese would fit the bill. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:19 am

Griese will make a nice backup somewhere with a shaky young starter.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:10 am

He could make a nice backup basically anywhere. I hope the Steelers look into him.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:17 am

maddog60 wrote:Griese will make a nice backup somewhere with a shaky young starter.

baltimore sounds like a perfect fit :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Wizzle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:46 am

The Lung wrote:He could make a nice backup basically anywhere. I hope the Steelers look into him.

I was thinking the Jets would be a good possibility too.
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 am

Wizzle wrote:
The Lung wrote:He could make a nice backup basically anywhere. I hope the Steelers look into him.

seems like the jets want ramsey, and i think the steelers are fine with batch as their backup.

i think phillip rivers could use a good mentor.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:34 am

steelerfan513 wrote:
Wizzle wrote:

seems like the jets want ramsey, and i think the steelers are fine with batch as their backup.

You're the Steeler fan and I'm not, but I'd take Griese over Batch in a heartbeat. Griese has been occasionally effective as a starter where Batch has done nada for the past 5 years.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby a4ce » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:04 pm

Walters could use him as some camp motivation.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:32 pm

What are you guys talking about?

This is a guy that can still start ... backup nothing. He had a 97.5 passer rating in the season before last, and did decently this year before injury.

Look for a team like Miami (that'd be ironic), Baltimore, Detroit, etc. to compete for a starting role.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk