Kosier signs with Big D, Gurode re-signs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kosier signs with Big D, Gurode re-signs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kosier signs with Big D, Gurode re-signs...

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:09 pm

IRVING, Texas - On the first day of the free-agent signing period, the Cowboys are quickly addressing their biggest problem area of last season:

Offensive Line.

The Cowboys have added some depth here Saturday, not only agreeing to terms with free-agent guard Kyle Kosier on a five-year deal, but also set to re-sign Andre Gurode for another year as well.

And the Cowboys are just getting started here in free agency, also hosting Jaguars free agent linebacker Akin Ayodele, a four-year vet from Irving MacArthur High School, just down the street from the Cowboys' complex at Valley Ranch.

But the Cowboys at least locked up Kosier, who has agreed to a five-year, $15 million deal that includes a $5 million signing bonus.

As for Gurode, the four-year veteran gives the Cowboys versatility at both guard and center. In fact, don't be surprised to see Gurode and Al Johnson compete for the starting center position again during training camp.

Like Gurode, Kosier also brings some versatility to the table, starting 43 games in four years, at four different positions. Kosier started 11 games for the Lions last year at left guard, but has started at both guard and tackle spots during his career.

Now adding Kosier and Gurode, coupled with the presence of Marco Rivera, who signed a five-year deal last year, does suggest Larry Allen's future with the Cowboys could be in jeopardy.

Allen, the longest tenured player on the roster having spent the last 12 seasons in Dallas, is scheduled to count $7.5 million against the salary cap this season. Allen is due a $2 million roster bonus on April 1. If Allen is released, the Cowboys would save about $3 million in cap room.

Allen was selected to his 10th Pro Bowl last season, but is 34 and has been in and out of Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells' doghouse during the last three years. The latest episode occurred last summer when Allen failed Parcells' conditioning run and missed the first four days of training camp.

But Allen returned to have another stellar season, although he missed playing alongside Pro Bowl left tackle Flozell Adams, who spent the last 10 games on IR after tearing his ACL.

Whether or not Allen returns to the Cowboys, the club has added some depth on the line with Kosier, who will be playing for his third team in five years.

A former seventh-round pick out of Arizona State in 2002, Kosier originally started his career in San Francisco, playing three seasons with the 49ers before signing with the Lions last year as a restricted free agent.

Kosier signed just a one-year deal in Detroit, but now has a bit more job security after signing a five-year deal in Dallas.

If Kosier ends up playing right tackle, he'll likely start out ahead of Rob Petitti, who started all 16 games last season as a rookie, and Marc Colombo.

But offensive line isn't the only position the Cowboys need to address.

Linebacker is another area of need, and despite having unrestricted free agent Scott Fujita now on the open market, the Cowboys are exploring their options.

Ayodele played defensive end in college at Purdue, and would be an ideal outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense. He has eight sacks in four years, including 2 ½ last season for the Jaguars.

As for Fujita, who joined the Cowboys through a trade just before the start of the last season, the four-year veteran has visits lined up for Jacksonville and New Orleans in the next few days.

The Saints, now head-coached by Sean Payton, who spent the last three years on the Cowboys coaching staff, are also interested in tight end Dan Campbell. Campbell is another unrestricted free agent who might have played his final days in Dallas.

Looks like we're signing depth.

Any Lions or 49ers fans want to comment on this? How is Kosier?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:21 pm

BUMP

c'mon... there are Lions fans aplenty on this site. Give me some answers...

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:18 pm

Continued bump + triple post = I rule.

Seriously... ouch for me. I guess I'll repost in the Detroit team forum.

Just more crap I discovered: Kosier was the 14th-to-last pick in the 2002 Draft. He started 11 games for Detroit last year, but played all sixteen. It looks to me that he has missed (was benched for) only one game his four-year career. He started every game for SF in 2003. Pretty versitile guy... has played in 4 different OL positions.

Probably just a depth signing, but I really hope he isn't our "answer" for RT. No thanks...

But 3-mil a year is pretty expensive for a backup.

Jerry, you better know what you're doing... :-[

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigGAME101 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:38 pm

I think that this could be the prelude to the release or trade of Larry Allen. Allen is expected to count for quite a bit toward the cap this year, and there have already been rumblings that he might be released. Plus, he is going into his 14th season which means his time is almost done. Kosier, from everything I know, is a solid lineman, but nothing spectacular. I think the money they gave him is pretty much exactly what his market value was. As a guard he was decent, but as a tackle he was not a very strong lineman. But this is a good insurance signing, and he has the versatility to play almost all positons on the line if need be. With the aging of the Dallas unit, I like this signing.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:38 am

Kosier was a total flop in Detroit. He neither pass or run blocked well enough to keep a job on a team with a terrible O-line. Your only hope is that it was because of blocking schemes or that he had to try and cover for the midget the Lions have playing Center.

Good luck.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to Football Talk