Edge signs with the Cards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:03 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Gotta agree with Bagel and GSOE on this. We all understand football (I think). Better O-line in Indy and better QB. With this in mind a reasonable football fan is going to expect worse numbers from Edge than if he stayed in Indy. If the Cards make some o-line moves then its a different story. If you honestly think that Edge will have the same numbers in AZ as he did in Indy (someone said that they wouldnt move Edge down in his rankings) based on what we currently know, then you dont understand football.

who moved ahead of him with the "drastic" change in scenery

I know your just asking, but I'm gonna respond as if you feel the opposite of the way I do:
Well, it depends on where whoever is saying they'd take him. My assumption is that prior to Edge's signing he was considered a top5 back based on his previous numbers. Now he's behind one of the weaker offensive lines in the NFL (assumming the status quo). How can one now expect him to come close to putting up these kind of numbers? I would move him behind other guys that I'm reasonably sure will be a full-time back: Jamal Lewis (assumming BAL), Willis McGahee, and Stephen Jackson are three that come to mind that will probably have full time gigs, have better lines to run behind, and who most probably would have below Edge if he was still in Indy.

Jamal seemed on the decline last year IMO and id try to avoid him early in the draft because he will likely fall after a dissapointing year.

Willis im not sure how his situatation is much better than Edges? I havent really heard anythign about there OLine being good and have probably the worst QB in the league right now in Losman and worse WRs than AZ meaning 8 in the box every time again

S Jax I could give you that but I dont think Edge's consitency will drop off the map moving from Indy

I think he'll be consistent, but when he was with Indy, you kind of counted on 150 total yrds and a TD. With AZ, can you count on that? I think right now, I would hope for 75 total yrds, and a TD every other game. Outside of the one good half year Shipp had before his injury, no one has been able to run behind an AZ line for quite some time. (Emmitt Smith, Thomas Jones, Michael Pittman, I'm sure I'm leaving others out that found running room before or after his AZ stint.)

dont really see a comparison between those RBs and Edge but to each there own

Heres an aricle that I think somes it up pretty well:
http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/9303108/3
Its a 3 pager but reads quick. quick excerpt:

Arizona does have a big-time passing game, which will help James find space if the line can block. That's a big if.

Let me ask you something: On third-and-2, would you rather have a good line or a good back?

Give me the line.

The Cardinals might live that lesson in 2006 when we find out if Edgerrin James is truly an elite back.

Check back here a year from now. I get the hunch we'll be wondering that more and more.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:06 pm

I'd say Shipp's and JJ Arrington's stock just plummeted, but it's hard to plummet from the basement.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby UTLonghorns » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:11 pm

They still need a line. Otherwise, that is a nasty offense.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby Azrael » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:25 pm

UTLonghorns wrote:They still need a line. Otherwise, that is a nasty offense.

I agree. I don't care who you stick in the backfield; no one can run w/o a decent line. I'm not looking to draft James next year unless I see them pickup a couple decent FA linemen or in the draft, especially at his price.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:39 pm

if arizona gets an offensive line, and a little more help on defense, they could make a run at making seattle the next victim to the super bowl losers famine. warner held his own last year, and his receivers helped him a lot. the cards do need a backup qb though, and mccown leaving hurts. if warner goes down, so does the offense. just dont see navarre pulling a roethlisberger ( ;-D )
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ngub12 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:52 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:Look how great the passing game was without ANY running game.

Was it? The passing game was pretty flat in Zona as well, most of its success came in garbage time due to them being behind.

Warner threw for 2719 yards, 11 TDs, and 9 INTs last year. Of those:

- 265 yards and 1 TD came when ahead. 2084yds and 10 TDs came when behind.
- Of that, 1400 yards and 7 TDs came when they were behind by more than 9 points.

Even further. In attempts 1 through 10 of a game Warner went for 662 yards and 1 TD in 100 attempts. In attempts 31+ (presumably when down late) Warner went for 801 yards and 6 TDs in 112 attempts. Likewise, in attempts 11-20 and 21-30 Warner threw for 2 TDs in each clip.

It's pretty clear that his numbers were inflated by prevent defense at the end of games. The Cards success against normal defenses really wasn't very good.

yeah i would also like to add that yds/tds in garbage time done count in fantasy... lol
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mutantseabass » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:54 pm

I hope the Cards do this in the draft

1. OL
2. OL
3. OL
4. OL
5. OL
6. OL
7. OL

or Edge is gonna be hurting next season.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:12 pm

ngub12 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:Look how great the passing game was without ANY running game.

Was it? The passing game was pretty flat in Zona as well, most of its success came in garbage time due to them being behind.

Warner threw for 2719 yards, 11 TDs, and 9 INTs last year. Of those:

- 265 yards and 1 TD came when ahead. 2084yds and 10 TDs came when behind.
- Of that, 1400 yards and 7 TDs came when they were behind by more than 9 points.

Even further. In attempts 1 through 10 of a game Warner went for 662 yards and 1 TD in 100 attempts. In attempts 31+ (presumably when down late) Warner went for 801 yards and 6 TDs in 112 attempts. Likewise, in attempts 11-20 and 21-30 Warner threw for 2 TDs in each clip.

It's pretty clear that his numbers were inflated by prevent defense at the end of games. The Cards success against normal defenses really wasn't very good.

yeah i would also like to add that yds/tds in garbage time done count in fantasy... lol

http://www.literacy.uconn.edu/compre.htm
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Ydub » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:37 am

Some numbers to chew on....

Last season AZ only had 885 yards rushing by running backs - absolute worst in the NFL by 265 yards (the Jets totaled 1150). AZ ranked dead last in the NFL with a 2.9 YPC by RBs. Dead last.

Well at least they made up for it with rushing TD's. Oh wait. No they didn't. They scored 2. Two friggin' rushing TD's. Once again, dead last.

Here are the numbers from Edge's last four starts in the '05-'06 season. Please note that these are legitimate starts (I'm discounting week 17 and adding the playoff game against PIT):

69 carries for 215 yards and 2 TD's. No 100 yard days and no multiple TD games. That breaks down to 54 yds/g, 3.1 ypc, and 0.5 TD's/G. Very pedestrian.

I guess it boils down to this: If you're really serious about drafting Edge Top 5 in a money league next season, please let me know if there's an opening.
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:52 am

I would expect YPC to go up a little for the cards next year, but unless the O-line gets better Edge will have trouble breaking 1000 yards. I think Edge has a chance at 4-5 receptions per game in that offense, so he is still valuable in my mind for a PPR league.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk