Edge signs with the Cards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edge signs with the Cards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Poor choice, IMO, by both parties. The Cards are gambling that Edge can give them production that he would have had trouble matching anywhere but Indy. Edge is gambling that he can find enough speed, elusiveness, and power to run in less than ideal cicrcumstances.

And from a fantasy standpoint every party involved could have worse numbers. Edge won't put up the numbers that have made him a top 5 RB, but he should still take away passes from Boldin and Fitzgerald. Warner could benefit from less pressure, thus less INTs but his overall numbers should drop.

More bad news for FFers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:36 pm

saundman2000 wrote:
onnestabe wrote:
I think they have enough weapons on offense right now (no one is mentioning their #3 WR, who is quite good, even though his name escapes me at the moment). At this point, they need to be focusing on defense and O-line.

I also think a trade for Culpepper would be a bad move for them. Warner is more than adequate for now, and I think anyone has to have doubts about Culpepper's health (he won't be running away from many defenders for about another 9 months). Also, I am not convinced that Culpepper is good enough to carry a team. No reason to trade for a huge question mark when you already have a QB that you are sure of (you pretty much know what Warner is capable of at this point).

Yeah, but AZ better figure out who the heir apparent to Warner is since they threw McCown out of the bus. Warner is not going to last much longer. He could conceivably be knocked out this year with injury before he is even in consideration for the starting job next year. They better be:

A) Grooming a good QB prospect
B) Acquiring a serviceable #2 backup QB

Otherwise all this potential that everyone is getting so excited about is going to be squandered. What they do in the draft might make all the difference.

I am not going to argue with you on that one. I was just saying that it would be silly for them to try to get Culpepper.

There's way too much risk with him right now (you can't expect him to do much this year, since it usually takes the better part of a season to trust a knee after reconstructive surgery) to justify trading for him. They definitely need some depth at QB, but I would rather see them draft a project guy like Jacobs, Croyle or Whitehurst than go after a veteran via free agency or trade.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Forget about the o-line for a second and think about the competition. Have you guys seen the NFC West schedule next year? It's crazy...

First Arizona will play StL, Sea, and SF 6 times, that is money enough right there. But then you also get the NFC North, and the AFC West. Not exactly the best divisions at stopping the run. Det, GB, Min, Chi, KC,Oak, SD, Den, throw in Atl and Dal... I'm seeing some pretty favorable matchups in there. Now just think about what teams Arizona will be able to beat next year. I can see them staying in enough games to get Edge 300 carries at least. Don't forget that Edge is an EXCELLENT blocker/receiver and can be used in multiple roles on every down.

Why did Domanic Davis get the massive hype out of Houston last year? Their line is so much better than Arizona's right? Is Steven Jackson really a better option? How bad was Washington going into last season? How can Edge NOT be a 1st round pick? Seriously, if Edge falls into the late first, he will be my saving grace next year if I have a late pick.
---

You guys realize that JJ Arrington was a complete bust last year right? That had nothing to do with the O-line, Marcel Shipp essentially beat him out. And 38 year old Emmitt Smith beat out Marcel Shipp the year before that.... Remember that guy? Emmitt was startable as a RB#2 for more than half of the season and had almost 10 TDs in Zona. Was it really the O-line's fault that a deadly combination of JJ Arrington and Marcel Shipp were not productive in '05? Maybe Edge will get REALLY lucky next year and even have a FB/TE to block for him. He never really had one of those in Indy, even in goalline situations.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Don't forget AZ is getting a new stadium...they need to fill those seats. I would pay to watch Edge-Boldin-Fitz

Kensat good looking out on the schedule analysis. I can hear that.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:05 pm

One expert seems to think that the "transfer of location will not hinder Edge's performance. Believe it or not, it might actually improve it."

http://www.fantasyfootball.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=900
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Previous

Return to Football Talk