Vikings sign G Steve Hutchinson to 7-year offer sheet!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikings sign G Steve Hutchinson to 7-year offer sheet!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:37 pm

Kind of a weak move on Hutch's part. Sure it gurantees him all that money, but way to screw over your own team.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby olympia0731 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:38 pm

For me this deal pushes Alexander down to the number three runningback. It also pushes Chestor Taylor up to about 15, with upside. He should be a Westbrook type player who runs more.
olympia0731
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:55 pm

mattb47 wrote:Players like Hutch shouldn't be transition tagged anyway. It will simply mean that teams must be more selective about the level of players they transition tag. The smaller name players won't really have enough leverage to pull deals like this one, so it will just teach teams not to gamble like this with their top players.

id have to agree with that Franchise tag should be for your top players like Hutchinson. Transition tag appears to be made for the second and third tier guys.

Also its as "sleazy" if not more for Seattle to make Jones contract be less after they see than deal then it is for Hutchinson to do it in the first place.
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:57 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Kind of a weak move on Hutch's part. Sure it gurantees him all that money, but way to screw over your own team.

He wants the Vikings to be his team he was trying to help them sign him. If thats the case any player who leaves is trying to screw over their own team
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby fantasizing » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:48 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Kind of a weak move on Hutch's part. Sure it gurantees him all that money, but way to screw over your own team.

He wants the Vikings to be his team he was trying to help them sign him. If thats the case any player who leaves is trying to screw over their own team

Its good to see that players aren't really interested in winning the superbowl. Seattle is like 90% there while the Vikings aren't even a playoff calibre team.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:54 pm

fantasizing wrote:Its good to see that players aren't really interested in winning the superbowl. Seattle is like 90% there while the Vikings aren't even a playoff calibre team.

If that was the case, everyone would try and join the colts for half decent money, plus, who would play for the lions? The guys need to get paid. ;-D

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:06 pm

Food for thought....If Marino was asked if he would have givin up a few seasons of salary to win a Super Bowl....what do u think he would say?
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Steve_L » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Alkaholik wrote:Food for thought....If Marino was asked if he would have givin up a few seasons of salary to win a Super Bowl....what do u think he would say?

You also gotta think about it this way, espcially for offensive lineman, they need to make enough money for the course of their life over a relatively short time. They aren't going to get many advertising contracts because they aren't real big name guys. Now obviously if they lived like normal people they could live their life with less money, but when given the chance, I think most people would try and get more money to live their life on.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mnheadliner » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:18 pm

biju wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:
biju wrote:Excuse my blatant homerism, but that's a crap ruling for the Seahawks if they can't restructure Jones' deal and make it all work. If that was the case, anytime a team wanted to make a deal on a transition player they could simply include a clause that would guarantee the other team couldn't match appropriately.

All this is going to do is get the Rosenwhores of the world that much more room to make "sleazy" dealings. Just what the NFL needs...

:-t

it should just show teams either franchise your people or re-sign. It must have not been to sleazy if it was upheld

Ok, but then what's the reason to ever Transition Tag a player? It seems a little useless. I won't deny the Seahawks really made a mistake by not francising Hutchinson, but the league is basically saying with this "if you transition tag someone kiss them goodbye". Maybe sleazy isn't the right word (forgive me, I'm pissed) but certainly "silly" comes to mind.

:~(

This was not the league's ruleing. A SPECIAL MASTER (sounds like a Star Wars character to me....but just a fancy term for arbitrator) made the ruleing and he is independent of the NFL League brass. The deal was within the bounds of the current CBA (collective bargining agreement) and thus was legal.

Seattle re-working Jones deal (from the outside looking in as a NFL fan...and even a Vikings fan) was a very smart move for them so that Hutch would be the top bread winner on the line per year when he inked a deal with the 'Hawks. However, the average fan (and anyone not in the Vikings, Seahawks and Hutch/agent camps) did not know the language of the contract (and still don't). It has been reported (on local radio) that the contract must have been worded in a way to specifically that Hutch had to be the highest paid lineman on his team for the ENTIRE 2006 NFL calander year. Very smart language by the Vikings. You know what they say....the devil is in the details, and the details were worded very well here.

Now....has a potential loop hole been found with regard to Transition Tag players? Sure, no doubt. But this loop hole can only be used with big time players. I for one think the league will address this loop hole in the future to close it up. Work additional language into the existing CBA or wait till the next one.

Bottom line...the Vikings worked within the rules, and if it had been the Seahawks making this move then it would be just as legit. Very clever, very clever indeed.
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mnheadliner » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:How do the Vikings and Eagles always have so much cap room. Every year the Vikings make a massive signing (Culpepper, Winfield, Smoot, Hutchinson) and they always are 20 million under the cap.

The reason for this is for a number of years we had cheap Red McCombs as our owner. He didn't like spending money, and thus as time went on the team's defense got worse and also the coaching staff, other workers and the facilities had less and less money invested into them. However, Red knew he had to sign some players and spend some money. So, to do so he gave players huge signing bonuses that counted largely against that year's cap. So next year...the Vikings were in the same position.

I also want to take this time to disagree with something someone said on here stating the Vikings aren't close to being a playoff team. I would have to disagree. The defense was better last year. Not great, but better. It remains to be seen how much more it will be upgraded this offseason, but I believe there will be at least somewhat of an upgrade. The offensive line has Hutch now (or at least will....no way Seattle will match that offer of all guarenteed money) and Birk is returning (hopefully healthy). We'll add another guard for sure. That problem is then fixed. I am a Chester Taylor believer and he will be solid....effective....behind that line. K-Rob returns as the #1 pass catcher. Johnson will have enough protection behind the re-built line. The offense will be better, and it all starts at the O-Line.

Green Bay is not as good as the Vikings. The Lions (until proven otherwise) are always a mess....however...they will do better without Harrington under center. That leaves the Bears, who still do not have a proven QB....but yes, have a heck of a defense. The Vikings are a playoff caliber team next year if they continue to add the pieces I expect them to add.
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk