Mike Anderson = Jamal... uhhh... helper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mike Anderson = Jamal... uhhh... helper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mike Anderson = Jamal... uhhh... helper

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:16 pm

Linkage

Ravens agree to 4-year deal with Mike Anderson
Broncos RB will make close to $8M; Baltimore also signs ex-Bill Bannan, retains Bart Scott; Punter Zastudil headed to Browns
By Jamison Hensley
Sun Reporter
Originally published March 12, 2006, 10:19 PM EST
The Ravens agreed in principle Sunday night on a four-year deal with Mike Anderson, who expects to take over for Jamal Lewis as the team's starting running back. The total worth of the deal is believed to be $8 million with a $2 million signing bonus.

Anderson, 32, gained 1,014 yards rushing and scored 12 touchdowns last season for the Denver Broncos.

Advertisement
Anderson beat Jamal Lewis for the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2000, when he gained 1,487 yards and scored 15 touchdowns. Anderson's numbers declined from 2001 to 2003, when he averaged 440 yards. He was sidelined for the entire 2004 season because of a groin injury.

Earlier in the day, Baltimore signed linebacker Bart Scott to a three-year deal, a league source said.

The Ravens were able to beat out the Cleveland Browns, who were courting Scott for two days at their facility.

Scott will receive a total deal worth $13.5 million, including a $6.5 million signing bonus. He is scheduled to earn $1 million this season, $2.6 million in 2007 and $3.4 million in 2008.

Scott, 25, proved he can be a starter in the NFL last season when he replaced injured Ray Lewis. He finished second in tackles with 119 and had 4 1/2 sacks.

The Ravens also reached an agreement with defensive tackle Justin Bannan on a four-year contract Sunday, his agent confirmed.

According to a league source, the Ravens gave Bannan a $3 million signing bonus.

Bannan, 26, was a backup to Sam Adams with the Buffalo Bills but started seven of the final eight games last season. In 55 career games with the Bills, he had 78 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks.

At 6 feet 3, 305 pounds, Bannan is considered a high-effort defender.

Over the first two days of free agency, the Ravens attempted to sign Maake Kemoeatu (who went to Carolina) and Ted Washington (Browns). The Ravens chose not to pursue veterans such as Adams and Grady Jackson.

The only interior linemen on the Ravens' roster with any experience are Kelly Gregg, Dwan Edwards and Aubrayo Franklin.

Meanwhile, the Browns signed punter Dave Zastudil, a fourth-round pick by the Ravens in 2002, is returning home by signing with the Browns. He attended high school and college in Ohio.

Last season, Zastudil averaged a career-best 43.5 yards a punt. His final decision came down to the Browns and the Ravens.

Browns general manager Phil Savage is familiar with Zastudil because he was the long-time scouting director for the Ravens. The Associated Press reported Zastudil agreed to a 5-year deal.

Two days into free agency, the Ravens have signed two players (Bannan and defensive end Trevor Pryce) and lost four of their own free agents (Zastudil, Kemoeatu, defensive end Tony Weaver and running back Chester Taylor).

2-mil a year base salary. Not a bad deal at all. If they draft DeAngelo, they'll have a sweet tandem in the backfield.

Good signing.
Last edited by no1cowboysfan on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:21 pm

guess those ex-bronco running backs are really whats poppin in the streets nowadays...

Andra Davis...5th in the league in tackles and doesn't make the pro bowl over....Al Wilson???!!!!
...absurd
thatohiosportsfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:23 pm

not a bad pick up for the Ravens but Anderson wont do any good without an improvment in their oline.

What teams are looking at J Lew?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby michaelavelli » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:31 pm

I believe Clayton said that he's planning a visit with Denver this week.

I'm way too lazy to find a link. But it's what I read.

I thought the Broncos were cap-strapped, however.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:04 pm

I don't really like the deal. Anderson has hit the magic running back number of 32 and I am willing to be he will be on the decline. Hopefully they draft a running back.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:08 pm

I'm pretty sure they will. I don't mind Mike's age (as much) because he's only been in the league 5 years, and I think he will be used mostly as the powerback. I see Baltimore drafting DeAngelo or a speedback (I know RayVins is all over Addai), and having them tandem a few years. And if Mike is limited to a powerback role, he should be able to live out his usefulness for his contract.

Besides, its cheap.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Monse_HQ » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Good signing but I do not believe they are going to use Mike as the featured back this upcoming season.
Monse Fantasy Football Draft Packet [b]Coming Soon![/b]
[url=http://www.fantasy-hq.com]Image[/url]
Monse_HQ
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:21 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:I'm pretty sure they will. I don't mind Mike's age (as much) because he's only been in the league 5 years, and I think he will be used mostly as the powerback. I see Baltimore drafting DeAngelo or a speedback (I know RayVins is all over Addai), and having them tandem a few years. And if Mike is limited to a powerback role, he should be able to live out his usefulness for his contract.

Besides, its cheap.

i agree, he needs to be in a powerback/ shortyardage type role. at his age i also will question his duarbility even with his short time in the league. they really have to lockdown another feature back....no question. anderson cannot carry the load as an everydown back IMO. nice pickup for the price without a doubt, but i will have a lot of concern if they dont pick up another reliable back, or a solid rookie.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:34 pm

Not a bad signing, but I hope this isnt the end of their moves to fix their RB situation. I imagine they will still draft a top rookie RB, in which case, was it really worth signing Anderson for four years?

Then again, he does fit the mold, so he should be a good insurance policy. The Ravens are actually in pretty good position for the draft now that Edge has signed with Arizona. They could pick up Lendale White, another big back, who I think has a chance to be really good in the NFL.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jkpigskin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:44 am

i like this move except for one thing... the length... they will pick up a back, maybe deAngelo Williams, but wat will they do with anderson after he starts to decline.... 4 years is a bit long. 2years would have been perfect as anderson can mentor williams and then williams takes over
jkpigskin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk