Question - How are the Skins doing this? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Question - How are the Skins doing this?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Question - How are the Skins doing this?

Postby jayday » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:02 pm

This is not a jealous post...But can someone explain...

How are they restructuring their deals for this to work? I'm not a big student of the Cap, so if anyone knows...please share...

I thought they were over the cap when FA hit? :-? I know cutting Lavar helped, but didn't think it would be this much...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:04 pm

snyder is getting ready to sell the team, and he doesn't care how much hell theyre left in when he leaves :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:14 pm

You're not the first or only person to be asking this... look in any other Skins signee thread.

No one truly knows, but if I were to guess, I'd say one of these reasons...

1) They are backloading their contracts heavily, and are trying for an SB run this year. Next season will HOPEFULLY result in more cuts than this.

2) Dan Snyder & Paul Tagliabue are gay lovers.

My money's on two.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:14 pm

im pretty sure as long as you were under the day before FA you can go over now just got to get back under before the next deadline
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:15 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:You're not the first or only person to be asking this... look in any other Skins signee thread.

No one truly knows, but if I were to guess, I'd say one of these reasons...

1) They are backloading their contracts heavily, and are trying for an SB run this year. Next season will HOPEFULLY result in more cuts than this.

My money's on two.

same. even backload contracts doesnt allow a team 5 mil over to sign this many key players. :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:18 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:

My money's on two.

And when Tagliabue talked about "retirement", he means retire to Snyder's villa. Oh God, that is one ugly picture. :-P
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:18 pm

Honestly I have no idea how they went from having to play with 25 rookies (pre CBA) to still over the cap (after CBA) to signing multiple FA's to big contracts.

One thing that I know they've done in the past, and it seems like they are doing here, is giving the FA's huge signing bonuses. This way the salaries are spread out through the length of the contract, making the salary cap # for each year less than what it seems.

Everyone says that eventually they will be in salary cap hell, which almost happened this year when it looked like the CBA wasn't going to be renewed. This is because they will be barely under the cap when they are done. Then next year they will have to cut players or restructure contracts (or both) to get under the cap for next year.

I'm pretty sure that's what makes Snyder able to pull these FA's signings off. Not many owners are willing to give huge up front guaranteed signing bonuses to mediocre players.

Snyder has a one year plan...every year. He doesn't care about the future, unlike most owners. What he fails to understand is that you can't usually throw together new players every year and keep the team chemistry alive. Just look at the USA basketball "Dream Teams" of recent years. They throw together some of the most talented players in the world that have never played together as a team. Lately they have no chance against the countries who have been playing together as a team for a long time. Snyder might get lucky one year, but there will never be a dynasty in Washington as long as he owns the team IMO.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:28 pm

well by the time it catches up with snyder, the labor deal will be up.

Everyone does the signing bonus bit, he is hardly a cap genius.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:55 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:

My money's on two.

And when Tagliabue talked about "retirement", he means retire to Snyder's villa. Oh God, that is one ugly picture. :-P

Sorry everyone about this...

I'm terrible with Photoshop, and I didn't exactly take time with this, but the concept works...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jh2031 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:56 pm

The Redskins and Snyder will pay for all these heavy backloaded contracts. They will have to go into serious cut/restructure mode in a few years. I'll give credit to Snyder for trying to bring a Super Bowl within the first few years of these deals before the team gets gutted...but couldn't he sign better players than this?

What I love about the whole guaranteed money thing is that Randle El....now has more money guaranteed than Edge and his former teammate Hines Ward. What a joke. This is why everyone outside of Washington hates Snyder.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk