Question - How are the Skins doing this? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Question - How are the Skins doing this?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Here's the two biggest points:

1. The whole deal about the the Skins needing to play with 10, 25 rookies, whatever it was without the CBA, was completely BOGUS. Totally unfounded in reality. The Skins were not THAT bad off. They would have been under the cap even without the new CBA.

2. The contracts are backloaded. This is pretty obvious. But Snyder has been doing it for years and it never has caught up with him. The idea that he is throwing away the future is ludicrous. He would not being doing this if that were the case. All the guys he is signing are younger players, this is not 2000 all over again. They are also all very long deals, which makes the total dollar amount look like alot more.

If you guys really want I will look around for some nice posts explaining this all, I think I could probably find some.

Bottom line is the Skins were NEVER in real "cap hell," and they never have been, which makes it seem to me like they know how to avoid it. If what Snyder was doing was really crippling this team's future it would have caught up to them by now. I dont know exactly how he does it, but hes obviously figured something out.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:03 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
2) Dan Snyder & Paul Tagliabue are gay lovers.

My money's on two.

And when Tagliabue talked about "retirement", he means retire to Snyder's villa. Oh God, that is one ugly picture. :-P

Sorry everyone about this...

I'm terrible with Photoshop, and I didn't exactly take time with this, but the concept works...

Brokeback Skinsgame. Oh, that's just too much. :-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:06 pm

terpfan wrote:Here's the two biggest points:

1. The whole deal about the the Skins needing to play with 10, 25 rookies, whatever it was without the CBA, was completely BOGUS. Totally unfounded in reality. The Skins were not THAT bad off. They would have been under the cap even without the new CBA.

2. The contracts are backloaded. This is pretty obvious. But Snyder has been doing it for years and it never has caught up with him. The idea that he is throwing away the future is ludicrous. He would not being doing this if that were the case. All the guys he is signing are younger players, this is not 2000 all over again. They are also all very long deals, which makes the total dollar amount look like alot more.

If you guys really want I will look around for some nice posts explaining this all, I think I could probably find some.

Bottom line is the Skins were NEVER in real "cap hell," and they never have been, which makes it seem to me like they know how to avoid it. If what Snyder was doing was really crippling this team's future it would have caught up to them by now. I dont know exactly how he does it, but hes obviously figured something out.

So (and this is a real question, not a rhetorical one) what big signing has Snyder done in the past few years that was heavily backloaded that is near completion? The reason I ask this is because if a player that is heavily backloaded in contract is cut from the team the backloaded contract amount accelerates against the current year's cap. In other words, if nobody has made it near term yet you're not going to see the true "salary cap hell" that has been described but it will happen either because of the contract or the acceleration.

I really don't know what the Redskins' cap looks like currently but I suspect if they're going to try to trade their way out of this before the next deadline they aren't going to get much in return or if they are trying to cut some big paychecks out they're going to run into trouble getting back under.

I don't think Snyder has figured out some magical way of getting around this...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:25 pm

ehh, from everything I read is that they were 4 million over the proposed 94 million cap that would have been in effect. Funny, cause that is the amount arrington bought back. They were that bad off,to spin otherwise is just that.

As for El, I am not gonna slam him as he has talent. On the other hand, reggie brown put up better stats than he did. He had what? 35 catches last year?

I don't really care, they still need someone to get these guys the ball.

Yea the magical way is push it forward till the point there will be a new cba...
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:37 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Yea the magical way is push it forward till the point there will be a new cba...

Thats catchy... B-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:04 pm

OK, here's a very good article about how the Skins "do it." Its a few days old, written before the weekends rash of signings, but you can see how they would have fit in. Enjoy!

http://redskins.scout.com/2/507127.html
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:19 pm

terpfan wrote:OK, here's a very good article about how the Skins "do it." Its a few days old, written before the weekends rash of signings, but you can see how they would have fit in. Enjoy!

There's an awful lot of "could"s and "if"s in there. :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:28 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
terpfan wrote:OK, here's a very good article about how the Skins "do it." Its a few days old, written before the weekends rash of signings, but you can see how they would have fit in. Enjoy!

There's an awful lot of "could"s and "if"s in there. :-b

Well, sure. They dont have to do all those thigns if it isnt necessary. Its not "ifs" as in "if" its possible, its ifs as in "ifs" its necessary, or "if" they want to.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby dream_017 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:50 pm

Here is another article on how the Redskins do it
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby terpfan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 pm

I guess people didnt want the real answers, huh? ;-7

And know you see why the media predicts doom and gloom. It sells.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk