What's oakland to do now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's oakland to do now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby GMoney » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:16 pm

yeah i think AL Davis was doing jumping jacks at the announcement that the 'aints had signed brees and the dolphins CPep.

at pick 7 previously it was looking virtually impossible that Cutler or Young or Leinart would last. Now.... highly probable.

I also doubt anyone will be willing/has the ammo to move up to pick 2 (and be high enough that the saints would still be willing to move down). The dolphins were one of the teams that was a possibility because of their desperate QB situation.

i think at best a team tries to move with the niners into pick 6 and steal cutler away from the raiders (not pick 2) meaning the raiders may have to pony up a little bit to move up 1 spot, but that will be alot cheaper than leapfrogging the jets to get a QB.

Possible threats to OAK getting a QB now, are the lions and the cards.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:21 pm

I think they stay where they are. Cutler or Young will be avalible.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Atog wrote:I think they stay where they are. Cutler or Young will be avalible.

Agreed. Unless other teams trade up, I really don't see how one of those three don't land in Oakland's lap. What would really be funny is if two of them got drafted early and then the Niners drafted the last one just to screw Al. :-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:33 pm

Let's look at who picks before Oakland:

Houston - APPARENTLY not in the market for a QB

New Orleans - Not likely in the market for a QB

Tennessee - Likely to take Leinart or Cutler

New York Jets - Likely to take Leinart or Cutler (whichever is left)

Green Bay - Not in the market for a QB

San Francisco - Not in the market for a QB

So, Oakland is virtually GUARANTEED one of Vince Young, Jay Cutler, or Matt Leinart....

In all likelihood it will be Young....

I don't see them selling the farm to move up at all....

They will pick up a fill-in veteran for '06 like Brooks, Griese, or Kitna, and draft Vince Young (or Cutler if he falls)....

That much seems pretty evident....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:37 pm

petedog9 wrote:What about this.....

Tennesses is now poised to land Leinart and reunites with Chow (barring a trade by NO for the #2 position). Now they have 3 qbs in Mc Nair, Leinart, Volek. They wont keep 3 QBS so Volek gets the axe. Lands on his feet in Oak.

I'd like to see his longball thrown to Moss....If Volek could make Bennett a star, imagine what he could do with a healthy Moss...

I wouldn't bet on Tenny cutting Volek just yet... McNair is always 2 breaths away from a season ending injury, and as good as Leinart is, I don't think you want to throw him to the wolves just yet....

IF they were going to cut a QB, I gotta think it would have been McNair.... Volek's cap number isn't enough to move him....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:16 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
petedog9 wrote:What about this.....

Tennesses is now poised to land Leinart and reunites with Chow (barring a trade by NO for the #2 position). Now they have 3 qbs in Mc Nair, Leinart, Volek. They wont keep 3 QBS so Volek gets the axe. Lands on his feet in Oak.

I'd like to see his longball thrown to Moss....If Volek could make Bennett a star, imagine what he could do with a healthy Moss...

I wouldn't bet on Tenny cutting Volek just yet... McNair is always 2 breaths away from a season ending injury, and as good as Leinart is, I don't think you want to throw him to the wolves just yet....

IF they were going to cut a QB, I gotta think it would have been McNair.... Volek's cap number isn't enough to move him....

Another issue I see is that I still don't think that Leinart is going to get past 2nd overall. He is a good enough player, and the difference between him and the next best QB is great enough that someone will trade with either Houston or New Orleans for the opportunity to draft him. Tennesse may be the team to trade up, but I doubt it.

I could see the Jets or Raiders trading up now that there is more cap room to sign a big-name rookie. And I think that the dark horses for Leinart are Arizona and Minnesota. Both have a lot of cap room and veteran QBs at the helm right now, and they are both trying to make a splash in the media (Zona for the new stadium and Minny for the new coaching staff/ownership). While I would be surprised to see it, I don't think it would be completely out of the realm of possibility for Dallas to move up for Leinart (mainly because Bledsoe is getting up there in age, and they don't want to slip back into mediocrity should he retire).
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby petedog9 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:16 pm

Maybe but didnt they just rework Mc Nairs contract and push back a ton of $$$... That would all accelerate if the cut him. Voleks salary isnt that low to where he could be the #3 QB. Not saying it WILL happen but it was just a thought. Volek has wanted out of Tenn for a chance at being a starter now. I am sure he would jump at the chance to get the start in Oak.....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:03 pm

mattb47 wrote:I think that they can stay where they are and land one of the QBs. I don't see a need for them to trade up. With NO out of the running for a QB now, only TEN and NYJ are likely to take a QB before OAK chooses. So that would leave them whoever falls from Leinart, Young, and Cutler.

exactly. one of the QBs almost has to fall to them, assuming someone else (arizona?) doesn't trade up. I'm not even sure if the Jets will take one of the QBs, since this draft is so top heavy.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby a4ce » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Stay at seven and draft either Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, Haloti, or Jimmy Williams.

I hope they don't draft Young because that is the trash of the three QBs that will fall down to OAK. He wouldn't fit the system and he ain't that great of a QB. Please Al, just say no to Young!

Start Andrew Walter. Bring in some vet QB(I don't know who's left)to help battle/mentor. If Shell and company can bring in some o-line help in addition to Fonoti and whip their asses into shape, Walter will be deadly. Smart, strong-armed, and a lot more mobile than Vodka Colins.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Well, i was listening to the radio this morning, Mike North in the morning on the Score if anyone knows it.

Heard a breif mention of a rumor that oakland might be trying to work out some sort of a deal to get josh mccown.

If not, there are some quality backups out there who might be worth trying to make a deal for.

Volek being one of them. It looks like simms is the guy in TB, so greise might be an option

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk