Lions Re-sign Edwards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Lions Re-sign Edwards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lions Re-sign Edwards

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:41 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368268

Gave him a huge bonus, I'd say they overpaid him...
Image

Andra Davis...5th in the league in tackles and doesn't make the pro bowl over....Al Wilson???!!!!
...absurd
thatohiosportsfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 148
Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Dawg Pound...

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Matt Millen is still the GM...that should explain a lot.
Image
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3457
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phat Herb » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:36 pm

Edwards is a bad ass that has been injuried the past few years. If he stays healthy he is well worth the money.
Detroit Lions all the way!
Phat Herb
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

User avatar

Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Drinking a Miller Lite at Ford Field

Postby Calyxes » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:54 pm

He is a good player when healty but I think that they over paid for him.
Image
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3014
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Maritime Capital of the Great lakes

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:27 am

If Edwards remains at his current form, then they overpaid for him. If he becomes the player this coaching staff thinks he can be, then he is a bargain.

One good thing is that he could probably step back and play OLB in a 3-4 during those situations that Henderson wants to mix up the DLine formation.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:23 am

overpaid
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:34 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:If Edwards remains at his current form, then they overpaid for him. If he becomes the player this coaching staff thinks he can be, then he is a bargain.

One good thing is that he could probably step back and play OLB in a 3-4 during those situations that Henderson wants to mix up the DLine formation.


Classic Lions' logic. He isn't worth what we pay him on merit, but we think that we can get him to perform at levels that would make him a bargain. Nevermind that no other team in the world would give him close to that ridiculous amount of money. Reportedly $8 Millen dollars guaranteed.

This is the move of a President and GM who still has no idea what he is doing. How he hasn't gotten fired is the first sign of the senility of William Clay Ford.

What kills me more about it is that they will use that logic to defend not signing or drafting a pass rushing DL. No Arrington, no Peterson, nobody. Just one of their biggest failures, the man they took instead of Portis, Kalimba Edwards. Kalimba Edwards. Kalimba Edwards. I only repeat his name because once the season starts we will no longer hear his name being called.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:33 pm

moochman wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:If Edwards remains at his current form, then they overpaid for him. If he becomes the player this coaching staff thinks he can be, then he is a bargain.

One good thing is that he could probably step back and play OLB in a 3-4 during those situations that Henderson wants to mix up the DLine formation.


Classic Lions' logic. He isn't worth what we pay him on merit, but we think that we can get him to perform at levels that would make him a bargain. Nevermind that no other team in the world would give him close to that ridiculous amount of money. Reportedly $8 Millen dollars guaranteed.

This is the move of a President and GM who still has no idea what he is doing. How he hasn't gotten fired is the first sign of the senility of William Clay Ford.

What kills me more about it is that they will use that logic to defend not signing or drafting a pass rushing DL. No Arrington, no Peterson, nobody. Just one of their biggest failures, the man they took instead of Portis, Kalimba Edwards. Kalimba Edwards. Kalimba Edwards. I only repeat his name because once the season starts we will no longer hear his name being called.


Actually mooch - isnt what you said classic Lions fan logic? Being optimistic really isnt a Detroit fan trait.

This is a good signing. The money may have been a bit high. I trust that Lewand built in some outs if it doesnt pan out, but the guarantee was pretty high.

Its certainly not the level of doom and gloom like you appear to think. I am betting on this new coaching staff. Sure we probably will struggle to reach .500 this yr, but expecting anything more with such a massive direction change this team is going through this offseason. After a slow start we'll see this team playing some damn good football - watch.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:34 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Actually mooch - isnt what you said classic Lions fan logic? Being optimistic really isnt a Detroit fan trait.


I disagree. Lions fans are hugely optimistic. How else can you explain them selling tickets for the product they put out during the Millen reign of error?

I see Millen resigning his draft picks more of an exercise of his ego than helping move the team in the right direction. Edwards is undersized, puts himself out of plays way to often and is awful against the rush. His contract is outrageous for what he has shown so far.

Coaching or not, four years is plenty of time for talent to come out, and the lack of talent. Hmmm, that could apply to Edwards and Millen both.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:05 pm

moochman wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Actually mooch - isnt what you said classic Lions fan logic? Being optimistic really isnt a Detroit fan trait.


I disagree. Lions fans are hugely optimistic. How else can you explain them selling tickets for the product they put out during the Millen reign of error?

I see Millen resigning his draft picks more of an exercise of his ego than helping move the team in the right direction. Edwards is undersized, puts himself out of plays way to often and is awful against the rush. His contract is outrageous for what he has shown so far.

Coaching or not, four years is plenty of time for talent to come out, and the lack of talent. Hmmm, that could apply to Edwards and Millen both.


The only reason they sell out is because Ford Field doesnt have that much capacity and they only play 8 games a yr. Selling out 8 NFL games a yr in a relatively small building every yr has very little to do with the product on the field.

As for the lack of player development, we once again will have to disagree. Most of the playes Millen drafted were highly regarded across almost all NFL circles - coaches, scouts, etc - the trend that almost none of them have shined (except for SRogers) I have to believe lies on the people who teach, motivate, and coach them - not on the one who brought them in.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:47 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact