Aaron Brooks - where does he end up? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Aaron Brooks - where does he end up?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:41 pm

If Favre retires, look for him to go and play starter/backup with Aaron Rodgers. (Mike McCarthy was OC in New Orleans from 2000 - 2004)
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SniperShot » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:41 pm

I can see Brooks backing up a team. I don't think he will start and if he does he will have a very tough time in training camp to get the starting job. Most of the teams that need a QB are looking elsewhere. (Jets either draft a QB or Trade with Falcons or Redskins Schaub or Ramsey. Titans Draft Cutler or Young. Oakland probably drafts either Cutler or Young.) Yeah I'm thinking the market for Brooks is going to be thin even with the teams that need a QB now. Although he could get a 1 year wonder deal just to help ease one of the above mentioned rookie QB's into the NFL.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:14 pm

i have always thought he would be a good backup for the eagles. I don't know, he has the mental makeup of a backup, but has enough of similar talents to mcnabb to make the team not have to change TOO much if donovan went down. But I think he might get one chance to start still...
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby UTLonghorns » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:30 pm

I dont think Aaron is looking at a starting job at this point. His only chance at that is in Oakland. He is way to inconsistent to be a starter in my opinion. Lets just wait- and see.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:37 pm

I don't think most of you are giving Brooks enough credit. Yes, last season he was terrible, but he was learning a new system.

If you look at his previous 4 years, he threw for more than 3500 yards every season, and more than 20 TDs in each of them.

2001 - 3832 yards - 26TDs - 22INTs
2002 - 3572 yards - 27TDs - 15INTs
2003 - 3546 yards - 24TDs - 8INTs
2004 - 3810 yards - 21TDs - 16INTs
2005 - 2882 yards - 13TDs - 17INTs

Even last year he almost had 3000 yards, despite only playing 13 games, and having a terrible season.

I agree that some of his decision making, and ball control skills need to be improved, but he could still perform as a starter for several teams. If he were to follow his OC to GB (if Favre retires), I think he would be a great fit to start/backup Aaron Rodgers while he gets adjusted to the NFL. Brooks knows McCarthy's system, and any QB that could go in and throw for over 3500 yards, and have more TDs than INTs would be a benefit to that team. Plus, he would be relatively cheap. :-)
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Slingblade » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Santacruzer wrote:I don't think most of you are giving Brooks enough credit. Yes, last season he was terrible, but he was learning a new system.

If you look at his previous 4 years, he threw for more than 3500 yards every season, and more than 20 TDs in each of them.

Even last year he almost had 3000 yards, despite only playing 13 games, and having a terrible season.

I agree that some of his decision making, and ball control skills need to be improved, but he could still perform as a starter for several teams. If he were to follow his OC to GB (if Favre retires), I think he would be a great fit to start/backup Aaron Rodgers while he gets adjusted to the NFL. Brooks knows McCarthy's system, and any QB that could go in and throw for over 3500 yards, and have more TDs than INTs would be a benefit to that team. Plus, he would be relatively cheap. :-)

Good point. People usually fail to see the stats that he put up. The kid obviously has talent, and under the right coach and training he could flourish.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:06 pm

Aaron Brooks....6 words.... "Do you want to supersize that?"
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:22 pm

stats don't always tell the real story in football. how many of those stats came when the pressure was off, either the game was decided, or the season was decided? Brooks is inconsistent, and decides to mess the bed at the wrong times.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:28 pm

Aaron Brooks has done pretty well considering where he has played. NO Saint's have been a pretty poorly run team for the past few years if you haven't noticed. Front office, coaching, personnel.... I could see him starting for quite a few franchises and possibly even ressurecting his career to a pro-bowl level if he ended up in the right situation. He needs coaching, and surrounding talent to use his skills. Remember Jake Plummer in Arizona?

I would guess that Minnesota, Oakland, Baltimore would be the frontrunners at this point. Hard to say with the draft so close, but he probably ends up as a "bench" starter. Backup to begin the season, gets his chance to start at some point during the season. AKA Kitna.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby onnestabe » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Santacruzer wrote:I don't think most of you are giving Brooks enough credit. Yes, last season he was terrible, but he was learning a new system.

1. The new system he was having to learn could not be simpler. Each play had a number and he had a wristband with all of the plays. All they did was radio in a number, and he ran the play. And instead of picking up the system during the season and getting better, he seemed to get worse. (and besides, who is going to give a one year deal to a guy that is going to take mutiple years to learn the system?)

2. He may be great at accumulating stats (I don't want to turn this into a chicken-egg/talent-stats thread, so I won't get into whether or not those stats mean he is a good QB), but he is not very good at winning games due to all the turnovers and missed chances.

3. I don't necessarily think you are wrong about him being good in GB, because he is a better QB than a lot of starters in the league, but any team that signs him thinking he will be able to take them to a superbowl - or even deep into the playoffs - is in for a rude awakening.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk