Harrington Wants Out - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Harrington Wants Out

Moderator: Football Moderators

Harrington Wants Out

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:05 pm

Lions | Harrington wants out
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:47:36 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of mLive.com, reports Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington has told the Lions' front office and coaching staff that he does not want to play in Detroit. The Lions have been in talks with free agent QB Josh McCown (Cardinals), which could allow the team to move Harrington.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Interesting - he wouldnt be more than a backup for other teams yet the Lions are offering a chance to compete for the number 1 job. I'm sure plenty of teams would be interested in him :-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:09 pm

Full Mlive story

Unhappy Harrington might be ready to move on
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
By Tom Kowalski
ALLEN PARK -- Joey Harrington has grown disenchanted with his situation as the Detroit Lions quarterback.
This is not surprising. What would really be newsworthy is if Harrington was delighted with what happened during his week-long quarterback school with new offensive coordinator Mike Martz.
Think about it. For the last four years, when Harrington has been under attack from all fronts, he fought his way through it by clinging to the belief that all he had to do was stick with the program and work harder. Now he's being told by a coach with an superb resume that, in essence, he just wasted four years of his life.
That has to border somewhere between unsettling and devastating and, considering Harrington's temperament, I'd suggest the latter.
Martz has repeatedly said that he wants to tear down Harrington and build him back up. Martz wants to make wholesale changes in how Harrington approaches the job of playing quarterback and even, apparently, suggested to a national football writer that he'd like Harrington to change his uniform number. Not exactly an ego booster, eh?
There was a recent rumor that there was a rift between Martz and Harrington, but this has almost nothing to do with Martz and everything to do with Harrington. Martz believes Harrington can be successful in Detroit: the question is whether Harrington wants to be in Detroit.
This has to be crushing to a player who stood strong against all the criticism he has received because he believed in himself and believed that he was going in the right direction. This is a player who arrived early, stayed late and put in all the extra work he felt he needed. Now, he's being told that the bulk of that work and those painstaking strides were all a waste of time and effort.
For all the abuse Harrington took in his first four years, he's about to find out just how bad it can get. And we'll also see what Harrington's really made of. He'll probably get to the point where he despises Martz, who has a history of being harsh on his quarterbacks. But that's not the point. Will Harrington stay strong and fight through it and finally, perhaps, be the quarterback he could have been a couple of years ago? Or will he knuckle under and simply take his football and go play somewhere else?
Maybe Harrington is just too far gone and nothing is going to get him mentally back on board again.
The allure of starting over has to be exciting and refreshing to Harrington, but he also has to understand that, if he goes to a club with solid coaching, he's in for the same nightmare. Nobody's going to pat him on the head and said "there, there." They're going to do the same tear-down, build-up strategy that Martz has employed. They might say it a little nicer, but it'll be the same process.
Harrington has suspected this all along, but he might -- for the first time -- truly understand what he was up against in the last four years. He received lousy coaching from men who didn't want him around in the first place. Then, he was surrounded by overrated talent that did nothing more than hike the expectations and make the subsequent dive all the more painful.
The irony is that now Harrington really has coaches who want him to succeed, but it's going to be a painful process.
Look, new head coach Rod Marinelli said himself that defensive tackle Warren Sapp hated him for the first year and a half they were together in Tampa. Sometimes, it takes a little time for a player to understand that a coach, despite his seemingly intolerable approach, is doing everything to make the player better.
When will Harrington understand this? Will he ever? Those are questions the Lions have to be asking themselves. Their off-season workout program begins next week and then they have a minicamp coming up in April. We'll have a better idea of where the situation stands after that.
The Lions aren't necessarily in a time crunch here. There's no financial issue because the deadline on Harrington's $4 million roster bonus isn't until June 15. As far as replacing Harrington, the Lions weren't viable options anyway for quarterbacks like Drew Brees or Daunte Culpepper.
Instead, it's possible that moves of Brees (to the New Orleans Saints) and Culpepper (to the Miami Dolphins) have altered the landscape of the draft, allowing one of the top three quarterbacks to slide to Detroit's ninth overall position. Then comes another decision. The Lions could take Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler or Vince Young and then let recently signed Jon Kitna run the show until the rookie is ready to take over -- just like Kitna did with Carson Palmer and the Cincinnati Bengals.
If the Lions aren't sold on Harrington's stability in moving forward, it appears he might not be the only one who'll be starting over.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby FanFootHeadBusta » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Harrington should shut his piehole and play his role. Who is he to demand a trade or be released? He is one of the primary reasons the Lions have been an annual bust for the past 4 years. He should be quiet and let the Lions do what they want with him. Plus, where is he in a rush to? Last time I checked, not many teams are in the hunt for an annual bust at QB that has showed little promise since his first season. Joey Harrington: Know your role.
FanFootHeadBusta
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:17 pm

who would want harrington to start for them??? he should feel lucky: the lions are giving him a second chance (probably to give themselves another chance to make picking harrington not the stupidest thing ever, but who cares???), and im not sure another team would give him the chance to start.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moonhead » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:17 pm

ship him to baltimore. brian billick will think he's god's gift to QB.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Harrington Wants Out

Postby D3C4K » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:26 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:
Lions | Harrington wants out
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:47:36 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of mLive.com, reports Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington has told the Lions' front office and coaching staff that he does not want to play in Detroit. The Lions have been in talks with free agent QB Josh McCown (Cardinals), which could allow the team to move Harrington.

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey...
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:27 pm

I think that letting Harrington go would be best for him and the Lions. I don't see how they can avoid it now with the signing of Kitna and continued talks with McCown.

I only wish Joey would visit the Cafe so he can see that he and his Mom are about the only ones who feel like he is an NFL starting QB.

Maybe he should try Oakland. He was supposed to have been a good deep passer in college, maybe he could recapture it there.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:28 pm

I could see him going to Oakland. I really don't think joey is that bad of a QB, I'd much rather have him than Brooks. But if he does get moved maybe that'd open the door for Ramsey in Detroit.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:30 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I could see him going to Oakland. I really don't think joey is that bad of a QB, I'd much rather have him than Brooks. But if he does get moved maybe that'd open the door for Ramsey in Detroit.

Thought Ramsey was going to the Jets?

And I am not sure Oakland wants another average QB with no future...They already have two of those.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk