McCown Signs in Detroit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McCown Signs in Detroit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:56 pm

I like this signing. McCown has better tools than Kitna and could be the starter by the end of the season or next year. He probably felt that after getting beat out be a Martz guy who has less skills, he might improve on his talents with Mad Scientist Martz working with him.

Lions are going to take a pretty good hit on the cap when they cut Joey loose. I look for that to happen Monday. Millen seems to like having ghosts hang around awhile before setting them free.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:57 pm

I like this signing. McCown has better tools than Kitna and could be the starter by the end of the season or next year. He probably felt that after getting beat out be a Martz guy who has less skills, he might improve on his talents with Mad Scientist Martz working with him.

Lions are going to take a pretty good hit on the cap when they cut Joey loose. I look for that to happen Monday. Millen seems to like having ghosts hang around awhile before setting them free.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:07 pm

moochman wrote:I like this signing. McCown has better tools than Kitna and could be the starter by the end of the season or next year. He probably felt that after getting beat out be a Martz guy who has less skills, he might improve on his talents with Mad Scientist Martz working with him.

I have heard that under the new CBA the Lions may not take a big cap hit from Joey. maybe someone will give us an 8th round draft pick for Joey ;-)

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:12 pm

I don't like it. Unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition in training camp (which would be AWESOME, by the way), it's a mistake to expect a thirtysomething-year-old and McCown to take us to the promised land.
Again, unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition, I am further pissed off at Millen/Martz/whoever giving us all of the "Joey is our guy" news. Seriously.
I'm fairly confident that we're going nowhere with Kitna at the helm. And even if we do somehow improve to 7-9 (I don't think I'll ever live to see that day, however), then we'll be right down the pipes the years afterwards with Kitna aging.
Seriously, maybe if we landed a QB with a trace of potential I'd be able to forgive the Lions for dropping Joey, but Joey will be lighting up the Pro Bowl and Playoffs long before we're above .500
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:26 pm

McCown has great potential I think. He's about the same as Joey, but with a stronger arm, and without the strange attitude and hatred from detroit.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JimmyChoi » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Good move for them...Joey just didn't show growth...
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:33 pm

Hope the contract wasn't worth more than Kitna's. McCown is a passable backup QB.... barely.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Steve_L » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Atog wrote:I don't like it. Unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition in training camp (which would be AWESOME, by the way), it's a mistake to expect a thirtysomething-year-old and McCown to take us to the promised land.
Again, unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition, I am further pissed off at Millen/Martz/whoever giving us all of the "Joey is our guy" news. Seriously.
I'm fairly confident that we're going nowhere with Kitna at the helm. And even if we do somehow improve to 7-9 (I don't think I'll ever live to see that day, however), then we'll be right down the pipes the years afterwards with Kitna aging.
Seriously, maybe if we landed a QB with a trace of potential I'd be able to forgive the Lions for dropping Joey, but Joey will be lighting up the Pro Bowl and Playoffs long before we're above .500

The fact that you are even suggesting that Joey has some talent just makes me ignore everything you've said. I'm sorry but Harrington has proven time and time again that whatever "talent" people thought he had coming out of college, isn't fit for the pros. They guy has been in the league for 4 years and has had ONE season in which he had more INTs than TDs. He's 27 and not getting any younger. Twenty-seven is old for a guy who hasn't done anything in his career even when given the chance to do so. Gaurentee Harrington NEVER participates in a Pro Bowl.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dream_017 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:44 pm

Steve_L wrote:
Atog wrote:I don't like it. Unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition in training camp (which would be AWESOME, by the way), it's a mistake to expect a thirtysomething-year-old and McCown to take us to the promised land.

The fact that you are even suggesting that Joey has some talent just makes me ignore everything you've said. I'm sorry but Harrington has proven time and time again that whatever "talent" people thought he had coming out of college, isn't fit for the pros. They guy has been in the league for 4 years and has had ONE season in which he had more INTs than TDs. He's 27 and not getting any younger. Twenty-seven is old for a guy who hasn't done anything in his career even when given the chance to do so. Gaurentee Harrington NEVER participates in a Pro Bowl.

Obviously, you have not watched the Lions. Manning would have a problem getting a pass off behind the o-line they had. Joey was also never put in a position to succeed. He is/was not a WCO QB.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Steve_L » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:12 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Steve_L wrote:

Obviously, you have not watched the Lions. Manning would have a problem getting a pass off behind the o-line they had. Joey was also never put in a position to succeed. He is/was not a WCO QB.

Yes Manning would have a problem but he would have more TDs than INTs. I watch quite a few Lions games because I live in MN so when the Vikings aren't on, I get the Bears, Green Bay, or Detroit. Harrington makes horrible decisions and has been given the chance to suceed under two different coaches and two different systems, yet he still can't do anything productive.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk