McCown Signs in Detroit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McCown Signs in Detroit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Woodsy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:14 pm

skibrett15 wrote:McCown has great potential I think. He's about the same as Joey, but with a stronger arm, and without the strange attitude and hatred from detroit.

Just give it a season, he will soon feel the hatred from Detroit.

I really dont think McCown is any better then Harrington. Guess we will see if McCown can play behind that line and if the receivers catch the ball for him. Assuming he gets the starting gig.

As for Harrington this is probably the best thing that happened to him. Now he gets a fresh start.
Start- 1QB,2WR,2RB,1Flex,1K,1DEF
Standard Scoring, except bonus points for long plays and defense which is 10 pts for a TD, 3 pts for a sk, int or fum rec. 8 team keeper league
Woodsy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Steve_L wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Steve_L wrote:
Atog wrote:I don't like it. Unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition in training camp (which would be AWESOME, by the way), it's a mistake to expect a thirtysomething-year-old and McCown to take us to the promised land.
Again, unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition, I am further pissed off at Millen/Martz/whoever giving us all of the "Joey is our guy" news. Seriously.
I'm fairly confident that we're going nowhere with Kitna at the helm. And even if we do somehow improve to 7-9 (I don't think I'll ever live to see that day, however), then we'll be right down the pipes the years afterwards with Kitna aging.
Seriously, maybe if we landed a QB with a trace of potential I'd be able to forgive the Lions for dropping Joey, but Joey will be lighting up the Pro Bowl and Playoffs long before we're above .500

The fact that you are even suggesting that Joey has some talent just makes me ignore everything you've said. I'm sorry but Harrington has proven time and time again that whatever "talent" people thought he had coming out of college, isn't fit for the pros. They guy has been in the league for 4 years and has had ONE season in which he had more INTs than TDs. He's 27 and not getting any younger. Twenty-seven is old for a guy who hasn't done anything in his career even when given the chance to do so. Gaurentee Harrington NEVER participates in a Pro Bowl.

Obviously, you have not watched the Lions. Manning would have a problem getting a pass off behind the o-line they had. Joey was also never put in a position to succeed. He is/was not a WCO QB.

Yes Manning would have a problem but he would have more TDs than INTs. I watch quite a few Lions games because I live in MN so when the Vikings aren't on, I get the Bears, Green Bay, or Detroit. Harrington makes horrible decisions and has been given the chance to suceed under two different coaches and two different systems, yet he still can't do anything productive.

1 system, that was horrible and the coaches are not HCs in the league this coming year.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:30 pm

I'll take Joey. At least he stands back up after every play. We'll need him by the second mini-camp when Rex throws out his shoulder blowing his nose.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mysticphysh » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:34 pm

I know I'll probably catch flak for this...but....McCown > Kitna. I like this signing. There should be a QB fight in training camp. McCown should come out on top as starter. He should be able to get something out of those "talented" WRs...finally.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:44 pm

I think Joey still has a decent chance of doing well somewhere. He has plenty of talent, I think one of the big things holding him back a bit in Detroit is the type of offense they ran. It was terrible for Joey because he has a stronger arm and would have been more effective throwing the ball downfield. I would have liked to have seen him for one year in Martz's offense where he was able to get it downfield a bit more. I guarantee a team will pick him up for relatively cheap like Oakland, NYJ, or even a place like Washington. I could see Joey doing well with WR threats like S. Moss, B. Lloyd, and even Randle-El. Not saying it's going to happen but I think Joey does have a future somewhere.

As for the McCown vs Kitna question....it's difficult to say. McCown is not as developed of a QB in my opinion. He doesn't think quickly enough in the pocket and in his starts last season I wasn't very impressed. To be honest, I don't see Kitna and McCown to be a very solid combination at all as starting QBs for Detroit. I would trust Kitna more than McCown but not by a lot, if I was a Detroit fan, I would really have liked to see Joey get 1 shot with Martz. But that's just me.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Steve_L » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:06 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Steve_L wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Steve_L wrote:
Atog wrote:I don't like it. Unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition in training camp (which would be AWESOME, by the way), it's a mistake to expect a thirtysomething-year-old and McCown to take us to the promised land.
Again, unless we're setting up a grande QB olympic competition, I am further pissed off at Millen/Martz/whoever giving us all of the "Joey is our guy" news. Seriously.
I'm fairly confident that we're going nowhere with Kitna at the helm. And even if we do somehow improve to 7-9 (I don't think I'll ever live to see that day, however), then we'll be right down the pipes the years afterwards with Kitna aging.
Seriously, maybe if we landed a QB with a trace of potential I'd be able to forgive the Lions for dropping Joey, but Joey will be lighting up the Pro Bowl and Playoffs long before we're above .500

The fact that you are even suggesting that Joey has some talent just makes me ignore everything you've said. I'm sorry but Harrington has proven time and time again that whatever "talent" people thought he had coming out of college, isn't fit for the pros. They guy has been in the league for 4 years and has had ONE season in which he had more INTs than TDs. He's 27 and not getting any younger. Twenty-seven is old for a guy who hasn't done anything in his career even when given the chance to do so. Gaurentee Harrington NEVER participates in a Pro Bowl.

Obviously, you have not watched the Lions. Manning would have a problem getting a pass off behind the o-line they had. Joey was also never put in a position to succeed. He is/was not a WCO QB.

Yes Manning would have a problem but he would have more TDs than INTs. I watch quite a few Lions games because I live in MN so when the Vikings aren't on, I get the Bears, Green Bay, or Detroit. Harrington makes horrible decisions and has been given the chance to suceed under two different coaches and two different systems, yet he still can't do anything productive.

1 system, that was horrible and the coaches are not HCs in the league this coming year.
]
We will see if he was only bad because of the system in time. I'm standing by my gaurentee that he will never make it to a probowl.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:04 am

Ya know, it's funny. Pretty much every offseason the last 4 years except last years everyone was raving about how great of a job the team was doing bringing the right guys in.

Then they struggle during the season and everyone jumps back on board the "Millen is the biggest idiot in football" bandwagon, all the while ignoring that all offseason they were making the same mistakes.just as foolish.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:01 am

Free Bagel wrote:Ya know, it's funny. Pretty much every offseason the last 4 years except last years everyone was raving about how great of a job the team was doing bringing the right guys in.

Then they struggle during the season and everyone jumps back on board the "Millen is the biggest idiot in football" bandwagon, all the while ignoring that all offseason they were making the same mistakes.just as foolish.

As I read every positive response to the moves the Lions are making that thought came to me too. Last off-season the Lions were praised and along with the Cards were thought to be on the upswing.

I will say right now that I still feel Millen is a moron and should be fired if not for the record, for the fact that once again he has shown absolutely no class in dealing with personale. I see the dumping of Joey as going back to square one, scarey when you remember how well it worked the last time Millen reset to square 1. Does 21-59 ring a bell. The only difference now is that the OC is experienced and well respected.

So why should anyone think this is going to workout any differently? I have no qualms about the switch at QB other than the vote of confidence before axing Harrington. But they grossly over-paid for a mediocre at best DE and have neglected to address the O-line. An area of weakness that has crippled this team for the Millen error....make that era.

However hope does spring enternal. This is progress if only because Joey was dead to his teammates. Now if they can land a CB and OL in the draft....

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Calyxes » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:06 pm

Well, I guess I am going to have to change my sig soon. I would have liked to see Joey for one more year but what are you going to do? As for having Kitna and McCown, I guess I would like to see Kitna start.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Football Talk