Is Culpepper god? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Culpepper god?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Culpepper god?

Postby mattb47 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:07 pm

I've been wondering this for a little while now, ever since C-Pepp got traded to Miami actually. I'm wondering why in the world is everyone acting like Culpepper is god now? Everyone seems to think that because he went to Miami that Chambers is going to be the best WR in the NFL and Miami is going to win it all.

In my opinion, Moss made Culpepper. Chambers may be a very talented WR, but he's no Randy Moss and I really don't think Culpepper is the savior of this team.

Quite honestly, if I was a Miami fan, I would be upset that they signed C-Pepp instead of Brees. Culpepper was downright awful last season, just terrible....i certainly haven't forgotten and I really don't see what all has changed since then except that he is coming of a pretty bad injury. I just think that those in Miami and elsewhere that seem to have such incredibly high expectations are just setting themselves up for a huge disapointment. Maybe someone can explain this to me.....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 pm

I agree that he had a horrible season, and that he probably won't be as good as Brees. But he's a helluva step up from Ferotte.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Monse_HQ » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:13 pm

I guess people just think that with the numbers Chambers put up with Frerrote/Rosenfels last season, with Culpepper his numbers can only get better.

Culpepper's injury will definately hinder his mobility through out the season but with the change of scenery, people are optimistic about Culpepper/Chambers/McMichael's futures...
Monse Fantasy Football Draft Packet [b]Coming Soon![/b]
[url=http://www.fantasy-hq.com]Image[/url]
Monse_HQ
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:17 pm

Is Culpepper good? No.

But this this point in there respective careers, I will go as far as to say Chambers > Moss.

But whether that has anything to do with CPepp's success, I don't know. All I know is that I'm not drafting him.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JStein » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:18 pm

Popcynical wrote:But he's a helluva step up from Ferotte.
Frerotte, in my mind, is more of a top-tier backup than a starter. That said, I think he did a great job with his stay in Miami.

In terms of Culpepper, I'm not sure. He has his good days (see 2004) and he has his bad days (see 2005). Tearing up his knee, IMO, saved his value since he would otherwise have been demoted and benched anyways in favor of the more consistant Brad Johnson. How odd - injury saves a player's value.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Is Culpepper god?

Postby maddog60 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:29 pm

mattb47 wrote:In my opinion, Moss made Culpepper. Chambers may be a very talented WR, but he's no Randy Moss and I really don't think Culpepper is the savior of this team.

I think just making the association that without Moss Culpepper is nothing is a little too simple. Look at what kind of weapons Culpepper had when Moss left:

RB: A committee of inconsistent and at best slightly above average RBs.
WRs: Burleson, Troy Williamson, Marcus Robinson, and Koren Robinson. Not the most frightening bunch, no true #1 WR.
TE: Wiggins.

Moss certainly had an effect, but Culpepper had no major threats to work with on Minnesota last year. Now look at Miami:

RB: Ronnie Brown. He's unproven, but has all the tools, the talent, and so far as performed well enough to become an true featured RB.
WRs: Chambers + Booker are better than any combo Minnesota could field last year.
TE: McMichael is an upgrade from Wiggins too.

Basically, Culpepper has done well when he's had weapons, and Miami may have more firepower than he's ever had to utilize. It's not at all illogical to assume he returns to solid play, if not comparable to his Moss days.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moonhead » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:45 pm

no.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:48 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:But this this point in there respective careers, I will go as far as to say Chambers > Moss.

Chambers > Moss :-?

How in the world can you say that...

And maddog60 you compare the weapons Culpepper had when Moss left, but those were the exact same weapons they had had for the previous 4 years. Those are the same weapons that people thought would make Culpeper better because he could distribute the offense and take advantage of his weapons. However people forgot to mention that Moss would attract the opposing teams #1 DB and possibly a saftey or two, and without him there defenses could key in on the entire team as a whole.

Quitre frankly, Culpepper used Moss for his "oh damn, im in trouble" blanket. He lobbed it up to Moss at every opportunity possible.

Dolphins fans are just finding a substitute to raise their hopes and "lie" to themselves that they were going after Culpepper all along since Brees shut them down, but isnt that what all teams do? You hype up your own players...

I agree that Culpepper is being seen as GOD and Miami is the next great dynasty.

All I have to see is that time will tell ...

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:11 pm

TheOneManShow 26 wrote:And maddog60 you compare the weapons Culpepper had when Moss left, but those were the exact same weapons they had had for the previous 4 years. Those are the same weapons that people thought would make Culpeper better because he could distribute the offense and take advantage of his weapons. However people forgot to mention that Moss would attract the opposing teams #1 DB and possibly a saftey or two, and without him there defenses could key in on the entire team as a whole.

Those weapons + Moss were what he had for those previous 4 years, and that makes a difference. Not because Moss made Culpepper, but because Moss is a true #1 WR. Without him, Burleson faced tougher coverage, their slot WR had to play every down, the whole team took a downgrade.

I would agree people who thought losing Moss would be better for Culpepper, but the simple fact is that Miami has better weapons at virtually every spot than the Vikings did last year. That should certainly make a difference for Culpepper.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ydub » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:23 pm

Miami fans (and the sports media) have a tremendous amount of faith in Nick Saban's ability to evaluate personnel. So when he goes out on a limb and invests a 2nd round pick in Culpepper when he could have had Brees for nothing but financial considerations, it goes a long way towards explaining WHY there is so much excitement over Culpepper's move to the Dolphins.

Because it's relevant, I'll just repost what I've already stated in another thread....

I think it's pretty telling that:

A. The only viable contract offer that Drew Brees received was from the Saints (the undisputed heavyweight champion of lousy situations). And the announcement that he accepted the offer was broadcast all over the net 10 minutes after the news of the Culpepper trade broke. Also, The revelation that Brees' contract is essentially a one year deal combined with his lack of suitors is clear and indisputable evidence that the market for his services was virtually nonexistant. This goes a long towards vindicating and justifying A.J. Smiths position despite what the media wags would have us believe (Brees was treated unfairly and that A.J. Smith is an incompetent and bumbling fool).

B. That Saban (widely acknowledged as a man who knows what he's doing), when faced with the option of signing Brees for nothing but financial considerations...chose to deal a 2nd round pick for a guy he wasn't even allowed to have his staff doctors take a peek at. This from a guy who clearly values his draft choices (he haggled with Carl Peterson for months over draft pick compensation for Patrick Surtain).

Bottom line: Score one for A.J. Smith, media blowhards be damned. And if I'm a Saints fan...I'm gonna hold off for bit before I start breakin' out the champagne.
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk