Is Culpepper god? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Culpepper god?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Teck » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:53 am

I don't care what anyone says about this whole ordeal.. i got my opinion set.

Chambers WILL be better, because for once in miami they have someone throwing the ball that is a legit QB. He is definatly not going to be at the caliber that moss was when Cpepp was throwing him the ball, simply because hes not the receiever moss is.

Dante is not going to be god.. in the time that he did play last year his receiving corps were probably a little worst at best, and we all know how he did in those few games. He'll play better. for sure, and I think that this new team, new place, new players will help him become a good QB again.
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:14 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Miami talked to Steve McNair before he re-signed in TN....to Washington before they traded Ramsey to the Jets...and even contacted Tim Couch before finally deciding to give up one little 2nd round pick for Daunte.....oh yeah, they also agreesively persued Brees, but were too tight around the wallet area to sign him. :-b

You guys make it sound like the Dolphins chose Daunte, when reality is...Brees chose NO. Miami settled on the much cheaper Daunte. (Yes, 2 million is a lot of money, despite what some of you think....especially in a capped league like the NFL).

I will admit, Daunte is better then anything they've had in the past 5-6 years or so. Let's just keep him off any boats. :-b

I think that you have it backwards. Miami chose the more expensive route. It cost them a 2nd round draft pick and took on Culpepper's contract, which is pretty hefty. Culpepper is coming off of a poor season that ended with a severe knee injury. There is no guarantee that he will recover to be worth the value of his contract. Miami is gambling that he will.

Brees has basically a one year deal. If Brees blows, he can be cut loose and money saved. A much cheaper alternative.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby moochman » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:15 pm

To answer the initial question: Culpepper is not God, there is only room for one of us here--Nick Saban.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Philly Pride » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:40 pm

Daunte will be good, but you think the Phins would've been a little smarter. You know what Culpepper does when he's near water... :-B
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Steve_L » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:00 pm

Philly Pride wrote:Daunte will be good, but you think the Phins would've been a little smarter. You know what Culpepper does when he's near water... :-B

It's going to be the love boat all over again, day after day.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Lung » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:09 am

Fantasy Impact Report: Daunte Culpepper

On March 13, the Dolphins and Vikings officially announced terms on a trade agreement had been reached, sending former first-round draft pick and seven-year NFL veteran QB Daunte Culpepper to Miami in exchange for a second-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. With his Blackberry working as his agent (Culpepper is currently without representation) and the media watching like hawks, Culpepper pushed for a move out of Minnesota and found a new home near his alma mater as the former Central Florida grad will spend his first season in colors other than purple and gold. While many of us were tracking the turns and tribulations of the free agent market, one of fantasy football’s most potent weapons was on the move via trade, adding excitement to an already busy football market and giving fantasy football owners everywhere something to consider and ponder for the coming season.

That’s what we are here to do: consider and ponder the effects of this move. Whether we are discussing the potential changes for the Dolphins, the possible evolutions in Minnesota, the future statistical outcomes for Culpepper, or the advantages (or disadvantages) Culpepper’s new teammates will gain from his employment behind center, there are more than a few changes this transaction has heaped on our fantasy football plates. I’ve given it a healthy dose of contemplation in the days since and I’d like to offer those thoughts to the best fantasy football community on the planet for debate.

While I realize many of you know about Culpepper’s NFL performances thus far, let’s travel through a small review of that history. Culpepper was drafted with the 11 th overall pick in 1999 and spent his rookie season watching from Minnesota’s bench. He took the reigns in his second season and immediately served notice of his immense talent and potential as an offensive threat, posting 3,937 passing yards with 33 passing TDs, also adding an additional 470 rushing yards with seven rushing TDs. His numbers since have been equally impressive, culminating in his career-best 2004 season (4,717 passing yards, 406 rushing yards, 41 combined TDs). Culpepper’s statistical train came off the tracks a bit in 2005 as his season was cut short by injury. Seven games into the season, Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee, thus ending his season.

YEAR GAMES COMP YARDS TDS INTS

2000 16 297 3937 33 16
2001 11 235 2612 14 13
2002 16 333 3853 18 23
2003 14 295 3479 25 11
2004 16 379 4717 39 11
2005 7 139 1564 6 12

Heading into the 2005 campaign, the vast majority of fantasy football authorities ranked Culpepper as one of few QBs worthy of consideration in the early rounds of fantasy football drafts. The vast majority of our own staff members ranked Culpepper as a second only to Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning. Expectations were high, but the results were disappointing to say the least. Culpepper struggled with turnovers (six TDs versus 12 INTs) during the first seven games of Minnesota’s season when he was healthy. As Culpepper nursed his injuries, the team continued to struggle as the world of Minnesota football changed drastically. The team was sold and new ownership brought uncertainty to the entire operation. Culpepper’s favorite target, WR Randy Moss, was not pursued by the team and thus moved his talents to Oakland. Various members of the team, including Culpepper, were charged with numerous crimes as a result of an offseason party now famously referred to as the Lake Minnetonka boat party. All of these factors, combined with concerns about Culpepper’s knee, his inability to reach labor peace with his employers, and the start of a new Head Coaching regime with new goals and values (Brad Childress), led the Vikings to consider other options at QB and deal Culpepper to the Dolphins.

The primary question at hand many fantasy football enthusiasts will want answered concerns Culpepper’s damaged knee. The initial diagnosis put forth by the Vikings’ doctors originally listed Culpepper’s length of rehabilitation and recovery would be, under conservative estimates, at least one year, placing his probably return sometime during the month of September of 2006. However, there are some new facts to consider. It has been four months since Culpepper went under the knife and he recently told reporters he is already engaged in light running. Culpepper was asked to undergo a battery of physical tests before the Dolphins would finalize this trade and he reportedly passed those tests with “better than expected results.” Doctors for the Dolphins claim Culpepper is ahead of schedule and Culpepper himself has asserted he will be ready to play on Opening Day for the 2006 season. While those estimates may prove to be optimistic, his ability to overcome the physical constraints the Dolphins may have put forth to make this trade a viable transaction speaks well of his potential return. At the very least, we have several sources claiming the powerful QB is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation and seems to be working diligently for a speedy return.

The next scenario the fantasy football owner will address is Culpepper’s new surroundings and work environment in Miami. Will Culpepper find a friendly home for return with a productive supporting cast, or will the struggles we witnessed during the 2005 season in Minnesota prove to be the norm for this oversized QB? While it is a fair question to ask, the numbers and assets of this Miami offense under HC Nick Saban should result in optimistic views of hope for Culpepper fans.

For starters, in 2005 Culpepper suffered through his offensive gameplan without a proven commodity at WR. WR Nate Burleson was seen as the team’s WR1 entering the season after just two seasons in the NFL with a grand total of 97 career receptions. The other supporting WRs (Marcus Robinson, Travis Taylor, Koren Robinson) were veteran talents but none ranked as a top commodity at the position. This is not the case in Miami as the Dolphins possess one of the most talented receivers in game, WR Chris Chambers. Chambers has five NFL seasons on his resume and has posted respectable gains during that time, including a phenomenal 2005 season (82 rec, 1118 yds, 11 TDs; rather impressive numbers when you consider the lackluster QB, Gus Frerotte, at the helm and the disappointing season Miami endured). Chambers provides Culpepper with a top-shelf receiver with which to work, and as we’ve seen in the past (see Culpepper-to-Moss from 2000 to 2004), Culpepper can do serious damage when he has a talented WR at his disposal. Of course, there are other weapons worthy of note to consider as well, namely TE Randy McMichael, WR Marty Booker, and RB Ronnie Brown (considered one of the best receiving RBs to hit the NFL in recent years according to his scouting reports). The supporting cast of offensive weapons in Miami seems to be a huge upgrade from the cast Culpepper utilized in Minnesota in 2005.

Another aspect of his analysis I’d like to bring to the table is one few fantasy football aficionados will consider: the work of the offensive line. More to the point, I would like to look at the differences between the offensive lines of these two teams and consider the potential changes Culpepper will endure as a result of this move. It is an important factor to consider, especially when you are looking at a QB that thrived for so long but suddenly encountered a drastic decrease in statistical gains during his most recent time on the field. As a result, I’d like to offer the following comparison (these are results from the 2005 season).

TEAM SACKS ALLOWED SACKS PER ATT RUSH YDS/GAME RUSH YDS/ATT PASS ATT/GAME

MINNESOTA 54 .106 91.7 3.85 31.9
MIAMI 26 .047 118.6 4.27 34.8

These are stats we can use to evaluate and compare the performance of these offensive lines. There are not many statistical values that offer direct views of the production of these units, but these categories listed can provide some insight into the performance of an offensive line. As we can see, the offensive line Culpepper was working behind in Minnesota paled in comparison to the unit doing work in Miami in 2005. The Vikings allowed more than twice as many sacks despite averaging fewer pass attempts per game than the Dolphins. Their lack of support for the rushing attack also points to lackluster performances from the Minnesota offensive line. These numbers would suggest Culpepper has just moved to a team that, assuming the line remains intact, offers much better protection and support than the unit he left behind in Minnesota (I will admit the Vikings are seeking a significant upgrade in signing OG Steve Hutchinson to an offer sheet, and the return of a healthy C Matt Birk will also be a significant improvement, though that line needs more work beyond that addition).

Let’s review, shall we? The Vikings let statistical giant WR Randy Moss move to California and pushed unknown commodity WR Nate Burleson into his position, surrounding him with questionable veteran receivers and hoping those receivers and Culpepper could post similar gains in 2005. During that campaign, the Vikings failed to piece a solid offensive line together and suffered significant injuries to the top commodities they did possess on that line, namely C Matt Birk, and did nothing to alleviate the resulting concerns. The rushing support from various running backs failed to put forth anything resembling an offensive front worthy of significant focus from opposing defenses. All of this combines with Culpepper’s struggles to carry the team on his shoulders, resulting in an atrocious TD/INT ratio and a losing record ceased only by the destruction of Culpepper’s right knee.

In 2006, Culpepper will bring his powerful arm and rehabilitated knee to Miami, a team that possesses a viable top-flight WR in the prime of his career (Chris Chambers) and several other receiving options capable of posting sizable gains (TE Randy McMichael, WR Marty Booker, RB Ronnie Brown). Miami also enjoys the comforts of one of the best offensive lines in the business, a unit that remains largely unchanged from 2005 (the only change worthy of note is the release of OT Stockar McDougle, viewed by many scouts as a disappointment, and the signing of free agent OT L.J. Shelton, a player that may be coming into his own). Much like Minnesota, there is a fairly new coaching regime in place in Miami, though HC Nick Saban has established his value as a top leader at the college level, has been a successful coordinator and assistant at the NFL level, and put forth an impressive first season at the helm of the Dolphins (Miami’s 9-7 record in 2006 was a dramatic turn of the 4-12 record submitted in 2004).

By those accounts and with those factors in hand, I find it hard to rank this move as a negative for Culpepper. He has left a team in the midst of turmoil and upheaval for a team on the rise. He left a roster with very few known commodities and very little offensive support for a team with an established offensive line and high-octane talents at key offensive positions. Culpepper may be the filling the one void the Dolphins need for a successful playoff campaign in 2006. Of course, there are reasons for concern. Culpepper’s health, namely the status of his right knee and the progression of his rehabilitation, need to be tracked as we move forward. While Culpepper asserts he will be ready for Week 1, a conservative fantasy owner would be wise to expect this QB to miss at least a few games. He may also need time to find his comfort zone on that rebuilt knee and with his new teammates, a common factor for players changing locations for the first time. With all of that taken into consideration, it is fair to rank Culpepper as a QB of desire in 2006, but not as a top commodity for fantasy drafts (unless you want to insure he is yours when he does return, an understandable approach in my humble opinion) in most leagues.

Culpepper will return, his track record suggests he will once again flourish as a passer, and Miami fans and fantasy enthusiasts alike should anticipate a return to prominence for this potent offensive weapon in the not-so-distant future.

This article comes from: http://www.fantasyfootball.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=905. You may have to register to read the original article, but it's free and quick.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:20 am

Did you see the protection early on in Minnesota last year?

Awful... Plain awful.... Pepper never had more than 2 seconds to throw in the games he started last year....

Oh, and let's not forget that Culpepper lost 5 games last year: Tampa, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Chicago, Carolina...

With the exception of a near miss by Atlanta, all those teams ended up being playoff teams, and even Atlanta would have been a playoff team in most other divisions....

That's really not so bad, if you ask me....
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby louisianacajunsam » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:37 am

on espn sunday conversation, culpepper looked pretty decent when they showed him rehabbing his knee (rubber bands around his legs as he was doing shuffles and what not...in other words, wasnt exactly in a wheel-chair as some make it seem)...

when asked about him returning and when, he basically said he would be back by the beginning of the season (and no earlier-but that was to be expected)...

i think he'll be back for the start of the season, but i guess we'll just have to see if his knee can take a hit..
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 am

louisianacajunsam wrote:on espn sunday conversation, culpepper looked pretty decent when they showed him rehabbing his knee (rubber bands around his legs as he was doing shuffles and what not...in other words, wasnt exactly in a wheel-chair as some make it seem)...

when asked about him returning and when, he basically said he would be back by the beginning of the season (and no earlier-but that was to be expected)...

i think he'll be back for the start of the season, but i guess we'll just have to see if his knee can take a hit..

I will always have to wait and see before discounting a player's recovery from knee injuries after watching McGahee's career ending knee injury in the Orange bowl. The docs are doing great work on knees these days.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:07 pm

Everyone knew that Culpepper had Moss.

But Brees had Gates. Anyone noticed Brees became a top quarterback the same year that Gates became a constant presence in the offensive gameplan.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk