terpfan's 2006 NFL Mock Draft (updated on page 2) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

terpfan's 2006 NFL Mock Draft (updated on page 2)

Moderator: Football Moderators

terpfan's 2006 NFL Mock Draft (updated on page 2)

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:25 pm

Obviously, there are still a few key free agents, like Julian Peterson, that might shake up the draft board a little bit, but the main player movement seems to have died down. So here's my first attempt at a mock draft in 2006.

1. Houston - RB Reggie Bush Southern Cal
I still think they could end up trading this pick, but for now they have to go with Reggie.

2. New Orleans - OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia
QB is no longer a need, so the Saints will go for the best player on the board at a need position.

3. Tennessee - QB Matt Lienart Southern Cal
The heir to Air McNair arrives in Tennessee, where he will be reunited with former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

4. New York Jets - QB Jay Cutler Vanderbilt
I think Cutler has worked his way above Young at this point. This is an interesting pick now that the Jets have Pennington and Ramsey. I could see them going with Mario Williams instead.

5. Green Bay - DE Mario Williams NC State
Williams is the second coming of Julius Peppers. The Pack would be lucky to get him here.

6. San Francisco - TE Vernon Davis Maryland
The Niners need some more offensive weapons and Vernon is certainly that. He would be Alex Smith's new best friend.

7. Oakland - QB Vince Young Texas
I can see Al Davis being intrigued by the big, exciting Texas QB.

8. Buffalo - DT Haloti Ngata Oregon
The Bills need a big run stuffer, Ngata would seem to be a good start to returning their defense to the success it once had.

9. Detroit - LB A.J. Hawk Ohio State
The Lions have worked a little on their offense this offseason, now its time to improve that defense.

10. Arizona - OT Winston Justice Southern Cal
They have the RB, now its time to get someone for him to run behind. Justice teams up with Leonard Davis to form a nice pair of bookends.

11. St. Louis - S Michael Huff Texas
The talented safety will replace some of what the Rams lost when Archuleta left for Washington.

12. Cleveland - DE Tamba Hali Penn State
The Browns made a lot of moves this offseason, but they have not addressed their weakness at DE.

13. Baltimore - DT Brodrick Bunkley Florida State
After losing Kemoeatu, the Ravens need another big body for the middle of that defensive line.

14. Philadelphia - WR Santonio Holmes Ohio State
It isn't looking like Philly has their sights set on a legit #1 WR in free agency, so they will have to hope Holmes can be just that.

15. Atlanta - CB Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech
The Falcons add another speedy VT alum to their secondary.

16. Miami - CB Tye Hill Clemson
The Dolphins need another CB after Madison's departure.

17. Minnesota - RB Lendale White Southern Cal
I'm not sure Chester Taylor is the long term answer, and we all know how Minny likes to stockpile RBs. Linebacker would also be a possibility here.

18. Dallas - OT Marcus McNeill Auburn
Skins fans got to see first hand Dallas' desperate need for a RT last year when Phillip Daniels abused Torrin Tucker for 4 sacks.

19. San Diego - WR Chad Jackson Florida
Phillip Rivers will need some help outside of Gates and Parker. Thanks to his nice 40 time, Jackson could be that guy.

20. Kansas City - CB Ashton Youboty Ohio State
The Chiefs are in big need of a CB after releasing McCleon and Warfield.

21. New England - RB Deangelo Williams Memphis
The Pats may finally have their franchise RB, and in the meantime Williams will be a nice changeup to Corey Dillon.

22. Denver (from Washington) - DE Mathias Kiwanuka Boston College
Kiwanuka has been slipping lately, but I think the Broncos will stop his slide and take him to replace Trevor Pryce.

23. Tampa Bay -LB Ernie Simms Florida State
With McNeill off the board the Bucs will look at Eric Winston, but ultimately go with the best player available in Simms to be the future replacement of the player he is often compared to, Derrick Brooks.

24. Cincinatti - S Donte Whitner Ohio State
Seems to be a popular pick for the Bengals recently, they do definitely need another safety.

25. New York Giants - LB Chad Greenway Iowa
The Giants addressed DB through free agency, so a solid OLB is the next step in fine tuning that defense.

26. Chicago - TE Leonard Pope Georgia
Pope gives Grossman a solid redzone target. He runs surprisingly well for a 6-7 TE.

27. Carolina - LB DeMeco Ryans Alabama
The Panthers take Will Witherspoon's replacement here.

28. Jacksonville - LB Manny Lawson NC State
The Jags have proven they aren't afraid to take a gamble on great athletes switching positions in the first round. Lawson could make a great replacement for Ayodele.

29. Denver - WR Sinorice Moss Miami
The Broncos need some youth and speed in their WR corps, and Moss has both.

30. Indianapolis - RB Laurence Maroney Minnesota
Thanks to the plentiful number of free agent backs, a solid rookie RB falls to the Colts at 30.

31. Seattle - OG Max Jean-Giles Georgia
Chris Gray is old and Steve Hutchinson may not be coming back, so guard has gone from a strength to a need for Seattle.

32. Pittsburgh - C Nick Mangold Ohio State
Jeff Hartings is 33; the tough-nosed Mangold would be a great replacement.
Last edited by terpfan on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:58 pm

Solid mock overall. Can't really see Hawk falling that far but we all know how things go on draft day so who knows.

Seems like most (including me) have Maroney going to the Colts after all the FA signings. I can already see the page long arguements about whether or not Maroney should go ahead of Williams/White in rookie drafts due to him being in Indy.

As a dolphin fan I don't like the Tye Hill pick. He's not really Saban's type of CB (too short), and really in general I just think he's wildly overrated but it's certainly a big need so they could definitely go that way.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:01 pm

Yeah, the other way I can see the top 10 unfolding is Hawk going to the Niners at 6, the Lions taking Huff, and the Rams going with Davis. That whole 6-11 range is tricky.

Id agree with you that Hill is overrated (probably because of that 40 time), but it seems he's being thought of as the 2nd best CB.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: terpfan's 2006 NFL Mock Draft

Postby jayday » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:22 pm

Solid mock....But these are the only two I have a problem with...

terpfan wrote:12. Cleveland - DE Tamba Hali Penn State
The Browns made a lot of moves this offseason, but they have not addressed their weakness at DE.

I think Hali is a bad fit for a 3-4 DE spot....And I don't think he is athletic enough to play OLB....His skill sets are good value at 12....But this isn't the right defense for him imo...

20. Kansas City - CB Ashton Youboty Ohio State
The Chiefs are in big need of a CB after releasing McCleon and Warfield.

Copming from a huge Buckeye fan, Youboty is wildly overrated....He is solid, but doesn't belong this high imo...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby terpfan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:25 pm

I figured Hali had the right build to play DE in the 3-4 (6-3 275) He also has some experience at DT. Ive also heard some places say he would be better suited as the OLB. Seems like he could play either one if he's that good. He's a little short to play 4-3 DE, so ideally he might not be perfect for any spot.

I really dont know that much about Youboty. Are there any CBs that arent "wildly overrated" in this draft? hehe
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jayday » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:32 pm

terpfan wrote:I figured Hali had the right build to play DE in the 3-4 (6-3 275) He also has some experience at DT. Maybe not though... Im not as knowledgable on the 3-4 as the 4-3.

He is strong enough to play the 3-4 DE....But I just think Hali's talents would be better if utilized in a 4-3 where he has more of a chance to rush the passer than just "eat blockers" which is what a typical 3-4 DE is asked to do....

I really dont know that much about Youboty. Are there any CBs that arent "wildly overrated" in this draft? hehe

Lol...good point....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:39 pm

I dont see the Pats going for Williams. I think Dillon still has at least 2 more years in him and Faulk is the changeup back as of right now. The pressing need is defense, especially with Willie gone and the corner back position depleted.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GMoney » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:42 pm

i really like the draft.

AJ Hawk falling is hard to write down on paper, but it seems someone has too. Dont really know much about the bills LB situation... would they really pass on AJ for Nagata? Do the pack pick more for need (Hawk) than talent (williams?) If willaims falls past the pack would the niners take him instead of VD?

this draft is going to be very interesting.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:45 pm

Why is Hawk slipping in the draft?
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GMoney » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:37 pm

whos going to take him? if things go in this draft as Terpfan has predicted?

The niners are the only team who realisitically would after the beack and before pick 9, and even then they have 3 or 4 starting quality LBs already on the roster and still may re-sign JP.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk