Rumor: Jet's trying to move up to #2 to pick Leinart - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rumor: Jet's trying to move up to #2 to pick Leinart

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mattb47 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:30 pm

mikus wrote:
mattb47 wrote:I do agree that it would be in the Jets best interest to talk to both teams to try to get the best deal as both teams would be interested in moving down to 4 in my opinion.

The Saints definitely stole the leverage from Houston when they signed Brees. Houston is dead in the water right now, b/c they were reportedly shopping the pick with Reggie Bush as leverage, but now his stock has died down as it seems more teams are interested in trading for the best quarterback available. If Houston wants to market their pick, they should start suggesting that they might be interested in a quarterback. But I would find anything Houston said about that pretty unbelievable at this point. So I think the Saints, at No. 2, are at the best place right now in the draft.

I agree that the Saints are in the best spot.....because if Houston does trade out of that spot then NO is in a position to just take who Houston wants there, in Ferguson. If I'm the Jets though, I have talks with both teams and see what the best deal I can get out of it.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:41 pm

why do they want leinart??? they restructured pennington's deal and traded for ramsey. i know pennington has a paper shoulder, but still...

houston is in deep doo-doo. cant trade down to get ferguson because now the saints want him, and you cant draft an offensive lineman at the first overall without looking stupid.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:31 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:why do they want leinart??? they restructured pennington's deal and traded for ramsey. i know pennington has a paper shoulder, but still...

houston is in deep doo-doo. cant trade down to get ferguson because now the saints want him, and you cant draft an offensive lineman at the first overall without looking stupid.

Rams did it, and Orlando Pace has been pretty darned good...

And looking back, it was probably the best value in the draft as well... there are plenty of good names, but none you call home about.

Also from 1997, first round, in order...

2 Oakland Darrell Russell DT Southern California
3 Seattle Shawn Springs CB Ohio State
4 Baltimore Peter Boulware OLB Florida State
5 Detroit Bryant Westbrook CB Texas
6 Seattle Walter Jones T Florida State
7 N.Y. Giants Ike Hilliard WR Florida
8 N.Y. Jets James Farrior ILB Virginia
9 Arizona Tommy Knight CB Iowa
10 New Orleans Chris Naeole G Colorado
11 Atlanta Michael Booker CB Nebraska
12 Tampa Bay Warrick Dunn RB Florida State
13 Kansas City Tony Gonzalez TE California
14 Cincinnati Reinard Wilson DE Florida State
15 Miami Yatil Green WR Miami
16 Tampa Bay Reidel Anthony WR Florida
17 Washington Kenard Lang DE Miami
18 Tennessee Kenny Holmes DE Miami
19 Indianapolis Tarik Glenn T California
20 Minnesota Dwayne Rudd OLB Alabama
21 Jacksonville Renaldo Wynn DE Notre Dame
22 Dallas David LaFleur TE Louisiana State
23 Buffalo Antowain Smith RB Houston
24 Pittsburgh Chad Scott CB Maryland
25 Philadelphia Jon Harris DE Virginia
26 San Francisco Jim Druckenmiller QB Virginia Tech
27 Carolina Rae Carruth WR Colorado
28 Denver Trevor Pryce DE Clemson
29 New England Chris Canty CB Kansas State
30 Green Bay Ross Verba T Iowa

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:39 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:why do they want leinart??? they restructured pennington's deal and traded for ramsey. i know pennington has a paper shoulder, but still...

If they really do want Leinart, I'm guessing it's because they don't trust that Pennington will ever be 100% again and it's still to be seen if Ramsey can be a good starting QB in the league.

The main reason the Jets restructured Pennington's contract was because he would've cost them over $10 million towards the cap next year. If the Jets cut Pennington he still would've cost them over $10 million towards the cap next year. Restructuring was the Jets only and smartest option. If the Jets do get Leinart, it's still a good idea to have him be the backup for a little while before making him the starter. Having Pennington & Ramsey would allow the Jets to do this even if Pennington gets hurt again.

Why can't Houston draft an offensive lineman at #1? Do you really think they care about looking stupid? If they think Ferguson will help their team the most they should take him at #1. Orlando Pace was taken #1 overall. He's most likely on his way to the HOF. I think that if Houston thinks Ferguson would help their team the most and don't take him at #1 just because they don't want to "look stupid" is stupid.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby mikus » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:48 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:

Rams did it, and Orlando Pace has been pretty darned good...

And looking back, it was probably the best value in the draft as well... there are plenty of good names, but none you call home about.

Also from 1997, first round, in order...

2 Oakland Darrell Russell DT Southern California
3 Seattle Shawn Springs CB Ohio State
4 Baltimore Peter Boulware OLB Florida State
5 Detroit Bryant Westbrook CB Texas
6 Seattle Walter Jones T Florida State
7 N.Y. Giants Ike Hilliard WR Florida
8 N.Y. Jets James Farrior ILB Virginia
9 Arizona Tommy Knight CB Iowa
10 New Orleans Chris Naeole G Colorado
11 Atlanta Michael Booker CB Nebraska
12 Tampa Bay Warrick Dunn RB Florida State
13 Kansas City Tony Gonzalez TE California
14 Cincinnati Reinard Wilson DE Florida State
15 Miami Yatil Green WR Miami
16 Tampa Bay Reidel Anthony WR Florida
17 Washington Kenard Lang DE Miami
18 Tennessee Kenny Holmes DE Miami
19 Indianapolis Tarik Glenn T California
20 Minnesota Dwayne Rudd OLB Alabama
21 Jacksonville Renaldo Wynn DE Notre Dame
22 Dallas David LaFleur TE Louisiana State
23 Buffalo Antowain Smith RB Houston
24 Pittsburgh Chad Scott CB Maryland
25 Philadelphia Jon Harris DE Virginia
26 San Francisco Jim Druckenmiller QB Virginia Tech
27 Carolina Rae Carruth WR Colorado
28 Denver Trevor Pryce DE Clemson
29 New England Chris Canty CB Kansas State
30 Green Bay Ross Verba T Iowa

On a side note: Isn't it amazing how many first-round picks are such busts? Man, I have barely heard of most of those guys.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby CC » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:49 pm

3 of the top 4 players in the first of that draft (Pace, Jones, Glenn, and Gonzo) were tackles, although you might be able to make a case for Boulware or even Springs over Glenn.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:52 pm

Man that sure was a nice draft for tackles. And yeah, the pick/bust ratio is amazing.

In response to the original question, yes Pace was worthy of the #1 pick in that draft, and the only guy you can argue against him is another tackle, Walter Jones.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby louisianacajunsam » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:48 am

ok...i've been saying i hope the saints draft d'brick, d'brick, d'brick...b/c even if the saints have lots of holes, i'd rather draft a future hall of fame talent at tackle and be just a little weaker at other positions that we can make up for in the future....

BUT..if the jets want to offer my saints the #4 pick, plus their second and third round pick, i'd say to do it...

even if we end up missing out on d'brick by the time the #4 comes around (which we could quite possibly still get), we can still get hawk, and then have 2 second rounders to get mangold (hopefully) and a tackle/corner, not to mention we then still have a third round pick (either for dt, cb, ot)...

but the only problem..i think the jets want to unload abraham..saints dont need him...but rumor is that they might get a first rounder for him...do they then offer both firsts for the saints first?? that would be nice as well
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:47 am

I think the Jets would be stupid to trade with the Saints just to move up two slots. You have to figure that D'Brick and Bush will be 2/3 first picks so that would leave Leinart or Cutler there for the Jets at #4. If I were the Jets I would be way too concerned about the similarities between Leinart and Penny. Both have less than arms, both came from prolific offenses. In fact Leinart had much more talent around him than Penny did at Marshall.

Bad move by the Jets to trade up. IMO.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:15 pm

moochman wrote:I think the Jets would be stupid to trade with the Saints just to move up two slots. You have to figure that D'Brick and Bush will be 2/3 first picks so that would leave Leinart or Cutler there for the Jets at #4. If I were the Jets I would be way too concerned about the similarities between Leinart and Penny. Both have less than arms, both came from prolific offenses. In fact Leinart had much more talent around him than Penny did at Marshall.

Bad move by the Jets to trade up. IMO.

I agree that this would be a bad move for the Jets. First off the Jets have to many holes to fill and by trading up we are going to be losing multiple picks we need to restock this team especially on offense. Like moochman said we don't need another weak arm QB. We need a QB who is going to be able to make all the throws no matter what the weather is. Any one who has ever been to the Meadowlands later in the year knows how windy that place gets.

Take D'Brick or Cutler at #4 and hopefully we get a later first rounder for Abe and and take Mangold to replace Mawea.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk