Brees Failed Physical - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brees Failed Physical

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brees Failed Physical

Postby VaderFin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:47 pm

While Daunte isn't exactly going to win a 40 yard dash with an old lady at the moment he did pass his with the Fins. It's also nice to see Saban be a class act and not throw Brees under the bus when he could have (like how the Broncos did with Williams). It is now 100% obvious that Miami chose Culpepper over Brees not because of money.

For fantasy purposes Brees just took a big drop in my book. I know he still has plenty of time to heal but when it is March and your throwing shoulder is still a big concern that has to raise a huge red flag.

From Len Pasquarelli on ESPN.com

Enough of the disingenuous rhetoric, please, about how Drew Brees signed with New Orleans because he felt at home with the Saints and was comfortable with the program that they are trying to rebuild. The fact is, Brees was left on Tuesday morning with nowhere else to go after he essentially failed the very rigorous physical examination the Miami Dolphins administered to him the previous day. Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.

So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.

"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

Bottom line: The success of the deals made by the Dolphins and the Saints on Tuesday will come down to the respective rehabilitations of the players involved.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... ateChanged
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:52 pm

wow. that's big time. i like saban more now. that was a classy move. sucks for the saints.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby mikus » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:53 pm

why are people so obsessed about this? who cares that one guy did not pass his physical, or he got more money from somewhere else, or he felt at home here or there?

here's the real bottom line: both quarterbacks are damaged goods. one will recover sooner than the other. one is coming off a terrible season and a horrific injury, the other coming off back-to-back good seasons and an equally damaging injury.

only time will tell who will be better again, but BOTH the dolphins and the saints got better with their respective deals. enough said.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:48 pm

This seems to just be this guy's opinion. Nowhere in there did he quote a source as saying anything remotely like Brees failed his physical. All his "source" said is they'd rather have a QB coming off knee surgery instead of shoulder surgery. Seems like the author made a giant leap from that to Brees failed.

I'm sure if there was something seriously wrong with Brees' shoulder, the Saints wouldn't have signed him, dumping that much money in his lap. They couldn't be that desperate....could they? :-? :-b

As for miami not throwing Brees under the bus like Denver did Williams....well, if this "source" is really saying Brees failed and the guy is a "Miami source" (ie works for the dolphins) then this is the EXACT same thing Denver did. Denver won't admit someone in their organization leaked the fact the Williams failed a drug test to the media...just was Miami won't admit someone leaked this info.

Seems like Miami is just trying to justify grabbing C-Pep over Brees. :-b ;-7
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikus » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:53 pm

mysticphysh wrote:This seems to just be this guy's opinion. Nowhere in there did he quote a source as saying anything remotely like Brees failed his physical. All his "source" said is they'd rather have a QB coming off knee surgery instead of shoulder surgery. Seems like the author made a giant leap from that to Brees failed.

I'm sure if there was something seriously wrong with Brees' shoulder, the Saints wouldn't have signed him, dumping that much money in his lap. They couldn't be that desperate....could they? :-? :-b

As for miami not throwing Brees under the bus like Denver did Williams....well, if this "source" is really saying Brees failed and the guy is a "Miami source" (ie works for the dolphins) then this is the EXACT same thing Denver did. Denver won't admit someone in their organization leaked the fact the Williams failed a drug test to the media...just was Miami won't admit someone leaked this info.

I agree. In addition, if this source is a real member of the Miami Dolphins coaching staff, he won't last long. Nick Saban does not let any of his assistant coaches, trainers, etc. talk to the media, much less leak information. If this is a true source, he will be fired in the near future.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby The Lung » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:57 pm

I never had Brees ranked that high in my fantasy rankings to begin with. Come August, someone is going to reach for him long before I'd draft him. They can have him.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:03 pm

The Lung wrote:I never had Brees ranked that high in my fantasy rankings to begin with. Come August, someone is going to reach for him long before I'd draft him. They can have him.

If he's still around the later rounds then heck yeah I'll take him. Him throwing to Horn and Stallworth is worth the risk. I wouldn't take him before the half-way point of the draft though. If he's available after that, then he could be a steal.
Last edited by mysticphysh on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:05 pm

"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

I like that line. :-b

Brees is still a decent option in the later rounds if you feel he'll be back to full strength. It'll be whether you trust in the new offense or laugh at the jinx of Saints football as to when he'll be drafted and who takes him. :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ydub » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:20 pm

mysticphysh wrote:This seems to just be this guy's opinion. Nowhere in there did he quote a source as saying anything remotely like Brees failed his physical. All his "source" said is they'd rather have a QB coming off knee surgery instead of shoulder surgery. Seems like the author made a giant leap from that to Brees failed.

In a world full of sportwriters who foam at the mouth with nothing but conjecture and baloney, Len Pasquarelli is one of the few reputable guys out there. He's well respected (amongst his peers and NFL execs), honest, and probably has more connections within the Dolphins organization than anyone else in the media. Bottom line: If he's reporting it, I'm inclined to believe it.

And yes, the Saints *are* that desperate. Who wants to play there? Aquaman? Sub-Mariner? Seriously, no one wants to commit to an organization that was submerged in water for the last 6 months. Will the fans show up? Will they stay in New Orleans? Will Tom Benson sell the team. Will they have a productive rushing attack next season? No one knows. So yeah, the Saints are in a desperate situation and they clearly took the bait on Brees. I hope it pans out for them, but it's obvious that this was a "one horse race" for his services.

BTW, I called this 30 minutes after the Culpepper trade:

http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224813&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's pretty telling that --

A. The only viable contract offer that Drew Brees received was from the Saints (the undisputed heavyweight champion of lousy situations). And the announcement that he accepted the offer was broadcast all over the net 10 minutes after the news of the Culpepper trade broke.

B. That Saban (widely acknowledged as a man who knows what he's doing), when faced with the option of signing Brees for nothing but financial considerations...chose to deal a 2nd round pick for a guy he wasn't even allowed to have his staff doctors take a peek at. This from a guy who clearly values his draft choies (he haggled with Carl Peterson for months over draft pick compensation for Patrick Surtain).

Bottom line: Score one for A.J. Smith, media blowhards be damned. And if I'm a Saints fan...I'm gonna hold off for bit before I start breakin' out the champagne.
Last edited by Ydub on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Algierine » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:21 pm

Sour grapes from the Fins on losing out on the guy they really wanted.

2004 CCFL Champion
Algierine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk