Brees Failed Physical - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brees Failed Physical

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:59 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Since when did free agency become about "winners" and "losers?" Who cares who missed out on who?

Easy for you to say. Try being a Lions' fan.

What I don't get is why anyone would have thought that Brees would have passed any rigorous physical? His shoulder isn't healed yet, nor is it due to be. So how could he pass a physical when he can't even pass a ball?

Maybe the Phins{ were spooked at how weak his shoulder still was, or maybe they were offered Culpepper for a number 2 pick. What ever reason they chose C Pep, and let Brees go.
Only time will tell who was the better choice. For my money I'll go with the QB who has better overall skills and is in a better system. But maybe Brees will be better. It could happen.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Steve_L » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:52 pm

mysticphysh wrote:This seems to just be this guy's opinion. Nowhere in there did he quote a source as saying anything remotely like Brees failed his physical. All his "source" said is they'd rather have a QB coming off knee surgery instead of shoulder surgery. Seems like the author made a giant leap from that to Brees failed.

I'm sure if there was something seriously wrong with Brees' shoulder, the Saints wouldn't have signed him, dumping that much money in his lap. They couldn't be that desperate....could they? :-? :-b

As for miami not throwing Brees under the bus like Denver did Williams....well, if this "source" is really saying Brees failed and the guy is a "Miami source" (ie works for the dolphins) then this is the EXACT same thing Denver did. Denver won't admit someone in their organization leaked the fact the Williams failed a drug test to the media...just was Miami won't admit someone leaked this info.

Seems like Miami is just trying to justify grabbing C-Pep over Brees. :-b ;-7

Why do they need to justify grabbing him. Most of the people who look at this feel that the Dolphins got the better Quarterback, Miami doesn't need to justify anything.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Steve_L wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:This seems to just be this guy's opinion. Nowhere in there did he quote a source as saying anything remotely like Brees failed his physical. All his "source" said is they'd rather have a QB coming off knee surgery instead of shoulder surgery. Seems like the author made a giant leap from that to Brees failed.

I'm sure if there was something seriously wrong with Brees' shoulder, the Saints wouldn't have signed him, dumping that much money in his lap. They couldn't be that desperate....could they? :-? :-b

As for miami not throwing Brees under the bus like Denver did Williams....well, if this "source" is really saying Brees failed and the guy is a "Miami source" (ie works for the dolphins) then this is the EXACT same thing Denver did. Denver won't admit someone in their organization leaked the fact the Williams failed a drug test to the media...just was Miami won't admit someone leaked this info.

Seems like Miami is just trying to justify grabbing C-Pep over Brees. :-b ;-7

Why do they need to justify grabbing him. Most of the people who look at this feel that the Dolphins got the better Quarterback, Miami doesn't need to justify anything.

I guess I should have said Miami is just justifying getting C-pep instead of Brees. Iknow you think Pep is a better QB, but that's your opinion and your opinion doesn't mean anything to me. :-b ;-7
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:29 am

It's been said before...only time will tell. What I really wonder about is if AJ Smith (and essentially the Chargers as a whole) is going to come out looking like a complete moron or a total genius for letting Brees go.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:10 pm

footballchick23 wrote:It's been said before...only time will tell. What I really wonder about is if AJ Smith (and essentially the Chargers as a whole) is going to come out looking like a complete moron or a total genius for letting Brees go.

And how large will the mob of furious Chargers fans get if Rivers flops. I mean, the kid can't just be serviceable, he's got to be Pro Bowl good for AJ Smith to come out of this looking like anything but a moron.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:54 pm

maddog60 wrote:
footballchick23 wrote:It's been said before...only time will tell. What I really wonder about is if AJ Smith (and essentially the Chargers as a whole) is going to come out looking like a complete moron or a total genius for letting Brees go.

And how large will the mob of furious Chargers fans get if Rivers flops. I mean, the kid can't just be serviceable, he's got to be Pro Bowl good for AJ Smith to come out of this looking like anything but a moron.

True, true! I just don't think any of us Charger fans can stand to see another Ryan Leaf scenario unfold....
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby louisianacajunsam » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:36 pm

the way so many first round quarterbacks flop each year kinda scares me considering from that draft there was 3 big time quarterbacks: rivers, manning, roethlesberger.....

manning has been pretty good so far,
roethlesberger has been nearly great so far,
rivers has rode the bench....

however, the fact that two have succeeded kinda just scares me off of rivers...could all 3 of the big 3 quarterbacks from that draft succeed...i havent seen it in recent memory....

maybe not since since 1983...
however if rivers does succeed that quarterback class might get mentioned with classes such as the 96 receiver class and possibly the 83 quarterback class (wasnt it elway, kelly, and marino?)
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:53 pm

louisianacajunsam wrote:the way so many first round quarterbacks flop each year kinda scares me considering from that draft there was 3 big time quarterbacks: rivers, manning, roethlesberger.....

manning has been pretty good so far,
roethlesberger has been nearly great so far,
rivers has rode the bench....

however, the fact that two have succeeded kinda just scares me off of rivers...could all 3 of the big 3 quarterbacks from that draft succeed...i havent seen it in recent memory....

maybe not since since 1983...
however if rivers does succeed that quarterback class might get mentioned with classes such as the 96 receiver class and possibly the 83 quarterback class (wasnt it elway, kelly, and marino?)

That's what it has been compared to (that class, I mean. the 83 class).

But saying Eli has been good is grounds for debate. Granted I'm EXTREMELY biased as a San Diegan and as a Cowboys fan, but I don't think Eli has been all that great. In the Shaun King thread, when everyone was bashing him, I pointed out that King's and Eli's stats for the first two years (the only time King was given a chance) are somewhat similar (and ironically, one came from Ole Miss, the other from Tulane).

QB RATING
Eli = 55.4, 75.9
Shaun = 82.4, 75.8

ACCURACY
Eli = 48.2, 52.8
King = 61.0, 54.4

TD: INT
Eli = 30:26
King = 25:17

YARDS
Eli = 4805
Shaun = 3644

It's worth saying that Eli played for 25 games, started 23. King played in 22 games, started in 21. Eli also had a much better o-line and WR corps (Toomer, Burress). Not to mention...

Yards Per Attempt

Eli = 5.29, 6.75
Shaun = 5.99, 6.47

So really, how well has Eli done?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby louisianacajunsam » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:10 pm

to me, eli has done decent in his first two years...
in fact, to me decent in two years is pretty good b/c most quarterbacks suck at the beginning of their careers and last season he really wasnt bad, but not great....

i like shaun king, being a fellow louisianan...and when he gets cut i hope the saints pick him up...i always thought he was underrated in those first two years in tampa when he got a shot and all he had was dunn and alstott...

however, i dont even like eli....
i love my school, university of louisiana-lafayette, like lsu, and hope all my other state schools win...
but since i do like lsu, i hate ole miss...i thoroughly enjoyed lsu pounding his ass his senior year at ole miss..especially when he tripped over his own feet the last play of the game...

but i still think hes done pretty well for a young qb...
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:29 pm

Bear in mind that first year, in his very first starts, Eli faced: Philly, Pitt., Baltimore, Washington, Atlanta, I mean we're talking about a murderers row of defenses there. Peyton Manning was playing QB better than anyone has before and still struggled to look decent against that same Baltimore defense.

With Eli, I disregard the 04 stats. Only possibly Big Ben could've looked good as a rookie against that schedule. The only real knock I can see on Eli's play so far is his accuracy. He needs to not have as many games where he's hovering at 50% completions. I think improved accuracy would drop the number of INTs as well. But accuracy can be trained, and Eli has displayed all of the other intangibles I could think to look for in a QB, so yes I think its fair to say he's done well in his young career.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk