HARRINGTON to be released, officially - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

HARRINGTON to be released, officially

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:30 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Flux wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:Great job Joey! Congratulations on throwing away your only opportunity at starting in the NFL. Hope you enjoy holding a clipboard since the only way you'll be a starter is if the Arena League comes a calling.

1) he wasnt guaranteed to start this year

2) hand me a clipboard anytime and ill take home backup QB money

3) the players in DET pretty much hated him and blamed him for their poor performance.

Id want out of their too

Send the man to ARI to backup Warner and possibly compete for the job when Warner is done or gets hurt

True competitors aren't happy being 2nd string. True competitors are humble and willing to learn from anyone and everyone to try and improve. True competitors don't care if their team doesn't like them. They allow their performance to speak for itself. If Joey was a true competitor he would have done everything possible to try and improve. Once he started winning games the same players who hated him would be loving him.

Mike Martz quickly saw that Joey wasn't willing to do any of these things and kicked his non-competitor ass to the curb.

Uh, he probably would be at least 2nd string on the lions. Why stay in a place that doesnt want you there to be a 2nd string player if you can go to a new team and be in the same position.

You (nor I nor anyone at the cafe) really dont know 99% of the happenings in DET for him. He more than likely was on his way out b/c of his contract anyway. He spoke up, got out before the draft and positions himself better than if they cut him in June.

This "true competitor" stuff doesnt hold much weight with me. He wouldnt have made it this far if he werent some sort of a competitor
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ydub » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:31 pm

Harrington Deal to Chiefs Near

According to Terry Foster of the Detroit News the Chiefs have offered a seventh round pick for Harrington, while the Lions are asking for something a bit richer (4th - 5th).

Here's the link:

http://info.detnews.com/terryfosterblog/index.cfm?blogid=349

BTW, if this happens, I totally called it:

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:20 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

terpfan wrote:
Uhhh... who exactly would want Harrington?

Ydub wrote:
The Chiefs organization have been enamored with him for years. Dick Vermeil's affection for Harrington is well known in KC (thought he was a far better prospect than Carr) and Carl Peterson has gone public with a positive comment or two. The general consensus has been that Harrington has been mishandled and stuck in an environment, situation, and "scheme" where he (or anyone else) simply can't succeed. I don't necessarily feel that way and it remains to be seen whether the current coaching staff holds the same opinion. But I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he was wearing a Chiefs uni at some point.

http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1499011&highlight=#1499011
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby JStein » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:35 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:True competitors aren't happy being 2nd string. True competitors are humble and willing to learn from anyone and everyone to try and improve. True competitors don't care if their team doesn't like them. They allow their performance to speak for itself. If Joey was a true competitor he would have done everything possible to try and improve. Once he started winning games the same players who hated him would be loving him.

Mike Martz quickly saw that Joey wasn't willing to do any of these things and kicked his non-competitor ass to the curb.
We realize that and I hope that wherever Joey lands, he won't be treated like he was in Detroit. Not only his teammates, but the organization really didn't not treat him the way he deserved to be treated. He dealt with that for what, three years? Four years? I wouldn't blame him with the way he treated Martz's Quarterback School. Detroit doesn't want Joey. That seems loud and clear to me.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:41 pm

Flux wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Flux wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:Great job Joey! Congratulations on throwing away your only opportunity at starting in the NFL. Hope you enjoy holding a clipboard since the only way you'll be a starter is if the Arena League comes a calling.

1) he wasnt guaranteed to start this year

2) hand me a clipboard anytime and ill take home backup QB money

3) the players in DET pretty much hated him and blamed him for their poor performance.

Id want out of their too

Send the man to ARI to backup Warner and possibly compete for the job when Warner is done or gets hurt

True competitors aren't happy being 2nd string. True competitors are humble and willing to learn from anyone and everyone to try and improve. True competitors don't care if their team doesn't like them. They allow their performance to speak for itself. If Joey was a true competitor he would have done everything possible to try and improve. Once he started winning games the same players who hated him would be loving him.

Uh, he probably would be at least 2nd string on the lions. Why stay in a place that doesnt want you there to be a 2nd string player if you can go to a new team and be in the same position.

You (nor I nor anyone at the cafe) really dont know 99% of the happenings in DET for him. He more than likely was on his way out b/c of his contract anyway. He spoke up, got out before the draft and positions himself better than if they cut him in June.

This "true competitor" stuff doesnt hold much weight with me. He wouldnt have made it this far if he werent some sort of a competitor

You are right that we don't know 99% of what happened to him in Detroit. My point is based on how Joey sabotaged the QB school with Martz. Maybe he did it on purpose because he didn't want to be there. I think that he didn't think he should have to go through Martz's QB school because in his tiny mind he believes that he's an NFL starter. I think that if he would have had a great attitude in the QB school and worked his ass off to improve and learn the new system, he had a great chance of still being the starter in Detroit. Either way it makes Joey look like an idiot. Either way he threw away his best chance of starting for an NFL team. I think the only reason the Lions brought in McCown & Kitna was because Joey made the decision for them.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Ydub wrote:Harrington Deal to Chiefs Near

According to Terry Foster of the Detroit News the Chiefs have offered a seventh round pick for Harrington, while the Lions are asking for something a bit richer (4th - 5th).

Here's the link:

I can't believe the Lions would think they are going to get a 4-5th pick for him. They have made the former Duck look like a dork. Now they want compensation? How about some Chiefs stationary maybe?

Goodbye Billy Badass, we hardly knew ye.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Ydub » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:38 pm

moochman wrote:
Ydub wrote:Harrington Deal to Chiefs Near

Here's the link:

I can't believe the Lions would think they are going to get a 4-5th pick for him. They have made the former Duck look like a dork. Now they want compensation? How about some Chiefs stationary maybe?

Goodbye Billy Badass, we hardly knew ye.

Hilarious. Here's a question for you though: If you were a player would you rather just be released outright or dealt for a seventh round pick? Forget about contract implications,choosing your team, etc. To me there's just something disrespectful about being deemed "7th round value" or traded for 200th + best player in college football. You know what I mean? Oh, you don't do you? Neither do I.
"Napoleon is not only a provider for his family; he’s an attacker on the field." - Napoleon Harris' website bio
Ydub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:57 pm

not surprising to anyone really. everyone in detroit hates him just as much as matt millen (well, that may be stretching it), but he did get rid of his only opportunity to start in the nfl.

i honestly see him going to arizona most likely. why is chicago even pursuing a backup??? isnt kyle orton good enough??? he did ok for a rookie qb starting in the nfl (not great, but he has plenty of time to learn).
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:08 pm

I know this is just nitpicking - but this is not official. Joey HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED - yet. That Yahoo article, and all the other similar articles posted today, stems from the Marinelli interview today and are suggesting Joey will be cut. However, the Lions have no reason to cut him right now - they have the June 1st bonus deadline to drop him, but until then, I dont see any reason why Detroit wouldnt try everything they could to get a pick for him in a trrade.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jdogg_ffc » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:34 pm

This just shows you how poor a organization the Lions have.

Now the Pistons (with Joe D. do a much better job) they traded Darko the no.2 pick and a bust like Joey to Orlando for a future first round pick (prob. in the 10-15 range)

We trade Joey for pick 200?

What the heck!!!!!!!
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:13 pm

jdogg_ffc wrote:This just shows you how poor a organization the Lions have.

Now the Pistons (with Joe D. do a much better job) they traded Darko the no.2 pick and a bust like Joey to Orlando for a future first round pick (prob. in the 10-15 range)

We trade Joey for pick 200?

What the heck!!!!!!!

NBA late first round picks are equivalent to 3rd and 4th round NFL picks. The NBA first round of the NFL first round is the first 8-10 picks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk