HARRINGTON to be released, officially - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

HARRINGTON to be released, officially

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Steve_L » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:17 pm

jdogg_ffc wrote:This just shows you how poor a organization the Lions have.

Now the Pistons (with Joe D. do a much better job) they traded Darko the no.2 pick and a bust like Joey to Orlando for a future first round pick (prob. in the 10-15 range)

We trade Joey for pick 200?

What the heck!!!!!!!

You can't compare the two sports, it's like comparing apples and oranges. And Darko wasn't necessarily a bust, he just didn't play. Joey on the other hand was given the oppurtunity to play, and did nothing with it. If anybody is willing to give anything up for him, they are unintelligent.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wenchtamer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:13 am

Darko is the wave of the future!

:~(
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby MrTwo94 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:17 am

Lions move on without Harrington
Marinelli: Time to go in 'new direction'

March 21, 2006

The transition has begun. All that's left is the transaction.

Coach Rod Marinelli said Monday that the Lions were moving on without quarterback Joey Harrington, even though they haven't traded or released him.

The Lions also introduced the free agents they signed to compete for Harrington's old job -- Jon Kitna and Josh McCown. Both said the past had nothing to do with the future.

Marinelli emphasized that he was the one who decided on the Harrington divorce, though at one point he said it was "both parties."

He also said it was his decision for Harrington not to report for off-season conditioning with the rest of the team Monday. Harrington is on vacation in Southeast Asia, but two sources said he had been willing to return.

"Everything's on me," Marinelli said. "It's been my decision to move in a new direction."

President Matt Millen said Feb. 21 that the Lions were approaching the off-season with Harrington as their starting quarterback. Marinelli agreed, and he and offensive coordinator Mike Martz spoke positively about Harrington's potential.

What happened after that?

Marinelli declined to comment about the quarterback school that began March 6 at team headquarters. Some say Harrington was uncooperative and tried to engineer his departure. Others say Harrington was just unenthusiastic as he realized he didn't want to be in Detroit any longer. Everyone agrees Harrington expressed his concerns about team chemistry.

"Things changed, and we're going to move in another direction with him," Marinelli said. "I can't be any more honest with that. I'm not going to go into everything about it and how I came to the conclusion or the decisions. ...

"I won't ever disrespect somebody. Whatever happened, I'm moving in a new direction."

One source familiar with the Harrington situation expected it to be resolved by this past weekend. That didn't happen.

The Lions apparently haven't come close to making a trade. Harrington's agent, David Dunn, told one team that the Lions had not approached him about restructuring Harrington's contract so he could be dealt, an NFL source said.

Harrington is expected to return from vacation and talk to Millen late this week, two other sources said.

The Lions have almost three months to make a move. Harrington is due a $4-million roster bonus June 15.

Kitna and McCown didn't seem concerned about what happened to Harrington, who went from the third pick of the draft to gone in four years.

"It's different for every guy in every situation, and you can't just say, 'Well, I'm not going to go there because it didn't work for him,' " said McCown, who spent four seasons at Arizona. "You have to go be your own man and do your own thing, and this is where I feel like it was the best fit for us and the best opportunity to compete. Nothing Joey went through really scared us from this at all."

Kitna, who played the past five years for the Bengals, said Cincinnati was worse for quarterbacks once upon a time.

"They said Cincinnati was the quarterback graveyard, and I'm still alive," Kitna said. "What's happened here in the past has nothing to do with what's going to happen with me. This is a new regime, a new coaching staff, and I feel like Coach Marinelli and the organization is committed to putting a winner on the field. As long as you have that, you're going to be fine."

But the transition won't be complete until the transaction is complete. Harrington is still on the roster and wears No. 3. Kitna wore No. 3 at Cincinnati.

Asked what number he would wear in Detroit, Kitna said: "I'm not sure yet. That's up in the air."

NOTEBOOK: The Lions signed offensive lineman Rex Tucker to a three-year contract. Tucker has played left guard, right guard and left tackle in his seven NFL seasons. He played eight games for St. Louis last season, starting three at right tackle. Asked about the offensive line, Marinelli said: "We've got to build our depth a little bit more right now, and that's what we're looking at."...

Defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson did not report for conditioning. Marinelli said Wilkinson was still part of the team. Asked if Wilkinson had indicated he would be back or if he were still mulling retirement, Marinelli said: "I've not had a chance to really talk to him about that yet." Wilkinson, 33, said late last season he wasn't sure he wanted to start over with a new coaching staff. ...

Marinelli said wide receiver Charles Rogers was in the building and "ready to roll." Rogers has played only 15 games in three years because of injuries, a suspension and benchings.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:26 am

Ydub wrote:
moochman wrote:
Ydub wrote:Harrington Deal to Chiefs Near

According to Terry Foster of the Detroit News the Chiefs have offered a seventh round pick for Harrington, while the Lions are asking for something a bit richer (4th - 5th).

Here's the link:

http://info.detnews.com/terryfosterblog/index.cfm?blogid=349

I can't believe the Lions would think they are going to get a 4-5th pick for him. They have made the former Duck look like a dork. Now they want compensation? How about some Chiefs stationary maybe?

Goodbye Billy Badass, we hardly knew ye.

Hilarious. Here's a question for you though: If you were a player would you rather just be released outright or dealt for a seventh round pick? Forget about contract implications,choosing your team, etc. To me there's just something disrespectful about being deemed "7th round value" or traded for 200th + best player in college football. You know what I mean? Oh, you don't do you? Neither do I.

I would rather be cut and have the opportunity to go to a team I felt best fit my game. As for the humiliation, I don't know that the Lions have so badly managed his career that Joey is looked upon as more of a victim of poor coaching/play calling/team building than the perpetrator of awful QBing. That's is the beauty of being cut by the Lions: other teams have no problem thinking the Lions have no idea of a players talents. Hartings for the Stillers, Droughs for the Brownies are just a couple ex-Lions that come right to mind.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby jdogg_ffc » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:48 pm

Steve_L wrote:
jdogg_ffc wrote:This just shows you how poor a organization the Lions have.

Now the Pistons (with Joe D. do a much better job) they traded Darko the no.2 pick and a bust like Joey to Orlando for a future first round pick (prob. in the 10-15 range)

We trade Joey for pick 200?

What the heck!!!!!!!

You can't compare the two sports, it's like comparing apples and oranges. And Darko wasn't necessarily a bust, he just didn't play. Joey on the other hand was given the oppurtunity to play, and did nothing with it. If anybody is willing to give anything up for him, they are unintelligent.

Yeah except the apples always lose and the oranges have the best record in the NBA!!!!!!!! And three titles two boot. With five times in the NBA Championships.

Lion's Superbowl wins 0, how many times they have been their 0. This is in over forty yrs. I mean with just dumb luck they would have went at least once.

Face it the Lion's management is a large part of the problem.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk