Seahawks nab Peterson, lose Hutchinson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Seahawks nab Peterson, lose Hutchinson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 am

Gotta Agree with Aww, i am glad they signed Peterson, sure we took a hit on our offense, but it should still be a top 5 offense next year, and our defense wasnt stellar at all last year, although it stepped up in the playoff run....i would really rather sacrafice a step down from #1 offense to something between a #5 and #7 offense to improve our defense from a #17 to something maybe in the realms of a top 10 defense next year.....much more balanced mix would work better.... i'd rather take Peterson than get Abraham and have to give up our 1st round pick, we also needed help more at LB then DE....but i will say that is a much bigger contract than i thought they would offer Peterson....we'll have to see how it pans out.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
moonhead wrote:have the niners done anything other than lose key contributers this offseason?

To be fair, they signed Antonio Bryant too...

Anyways, about Julian...

O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D and O-V-E-R-P-A-I-D.

Smooth move, Seattle. You grossly overpaid for an semi-often injured, overrated OLB. I assume Seattle desires Peterson's pass rushing abilities, but honestly he's overrated in that field too. And they had to sacrifice Hutch to do it, too.

If they had to get rid of Hutch for somebody, it should have been Abraham. They would have had to give up more for him as far as draft picks go, but he's a much more feared pass rusher, and OLB is deep in the draft this year. Granted DE is too, but I like the late first, mid-second round OLBs this year.

Can't say I like this signing...

Absolutely right, 55 mil? ...way to waste you money Seattle...

Andra Davis...5th in the league in tackles and doesn't make the pro bowl over....Al Wilson???!!!!
...absurd
thatohiosportsfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby VaderFin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:49 am

If Peterson can stay healthy he will be a very good addition to Seattle. I know the Fins really were interested in him and I would have loved to have seen him matched up with Jason Taylor. He's 27 going on 28 so he has plenty of good years left.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:05 am

Question:

Why pay $55-million for an oft-injured, aging OLB/DE hybrid, when there is every possibility in the world Manny Lawson falls to #31 overall?

I'm not big on this move at all...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:11 am

Better Question:

St. Louis picked up Will Witherspoon for 6-years at a cost of $33-million ($15-mil guaranteed)....

With that being the bar set, how is Peterson worth an additional $22-million for one additional year?

IMO, Seattle would have been MUCH better off offering Witherspoon $35-million than offering Peterson $55-million....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:19 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Question:

Why pay $55-million for an oft-injured, aging OLB/DE hybrid, when there is every possibility in the world Manny Lawson falls to #31 overall?

I'm not big on this move at all...

I can't argue the injury factor but he is 27 going on 28 that is hardly aging.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:46 am

Yeah, this blows for the 49ers...they're losing all of the members of the team that COULD help them to compete this year. Case of the haves vs. the have-nots at this point. I just hope sometime in the future the 49ers can sign big-name players...but it'll most likely take a great effort by the young crop in order for people to want to play there plus some extra spending by the ownership. I really don't want to see SF turn into my other two favorite teams...the Pirates and Penguins. :,-(

Julian has great skill, and Seattle paid for that skill. Throw the Postons in the mix, and you get a huge contract. I can't blame Seattle for trying to lock up huge talents...like aww said, teams normally have a 4-5 year window for being extremely good and winning championships. Use your resources now and live with the possible consequences later. With good drafting and coaching you can be back fairly soon. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:54 am

This is a little risky for the C-Hacks, given the $$$ involved, but I don't think it's a bad move by any means. Peterson will help the D in an area that most need help with, they have Hutch dollars to spend, and now they can keep their 1st round pick instead of trying to trade and sign Abraham. Who has his own set of baggage.

Good move, though an obvious knee jerk reaction to the Lions' signings of pass rusher extrodinaire Kalimba Edwards and OL Rex the wonder dog Tucker. Who would respond with desperate measures when seeing a team like the Leos making such bold upgrades! No, I'm not bitter.....not one bit. :-#

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:30 am

Overpayment on a guy with loads of talent, but a looooong history of injuries. :-t
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby morris4903 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:38 pm

I really don't see why everyone thinks this a terrible offseason for 49ers. The only person I am sorry to see leave is Peterson, because he was still one of our better defensive playmakers, but he was not the same linebacker since his achilles injury in '04 and Seattle ridiculously overpaid for him. Carter and Lloyd are completely overrated and are no where near the value that the Redskins paid for them. The 49ers were not going anywhere with these players on the team, so Nolan needs to clean house and rebuild this team with the draft and with young, cheap, but still productive FAs. Plus people are forgetting that 49ers have already signed key players from last year's team like Derek Smith, Jeff Ulbrich, Arnaz Battle, Brandon Moore, and our MVP last year, Joe Nedney.

That is sad that our MVP from last year was a kicker. :,-(
morris4903
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk