Schaub, Atlanta and a possible Abraham deal - my thoughts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Schaub, Atlanta and a possible Abraham deal - my thoughts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Schaub, Atlanta and a possible Abraham deal - my thoughts

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 am

The following is a summary of what most of you already know. I'm just restating my opinion on the matter.

As you all know, with Seattle landing Peterson and Abraham demanding an Atlanta-bound trade, the Falcons seem to be the only remaining suitor in the John Abraham race. The problem is, Atlanta refuses to part with one of two things: backup QB Matt Schaub (going into his third year, and hailing from Virginia) or the 15th overall pick.

If Atlanta wants to hang onto pick 15, that's fine. But what Atlanta should be pursuing is the trade for Abraham and a Day 1 pick. And here's why:

The Falcons love having Schaub around because he is the perfect insurance for the hasty and stupid QB Michael Vick (the 100 million dollar man). Schaub, a third round draft pick, has passed for slightly less than 50% in his career and has 5 TDs, 4 INTs. He has favorable QB size, and has all the intangibles in order to succeed in the NFL, or so coaches think. Personally, I agree.

Schaub currently is still operating under his rookie contract, making his re-signing or cutting loose near. Because Schaub is so vastly coveted by many teams, and will likely be given a shot at starting down the road, Schaub is not going to re-sign in ATL where he remains a backup. He's a starter, and he will want starter money. If Atlanta chooses to accomodate him with starter money (or near that), then they are retarded. Why have a QB worth 100 million dollars if they need to sign a big money insurance policy? It makes for bad business.

Since I am giving Atlanta's FO the benefit of the doubt, I can only draw three conclusions from this situation.

1) The Falcons want to hang onto Schaub at a cheap price for as long as they can ... and if Vick has a career-ending injury, they will have a QB ready to replace him. Perhaps they think they can re-sign Schaub for cheaper than market value. Perhaps they simply like having a dependable backup for a cheap price, if albeit only for a year or two. Who knows.

2) The Falcons are playing very hard to get with Schaub. They want to get the most juice out of their orange, so to speak. But considering the trade stakes, I can't see this being the case. Maybe they are considering it, but are waving this around as time to mull it over.

3) This one is the most "out there" -- the Falcons are looking to dump Vick off, possibly within the next year. It's no secret Vick isn't the most intuitive genius to ever run an offense... least of all not Mora's. And perhaps Atlanta's FO is finally viewing Vick for what he is: overpaid, a gimmick QB, and a field general who will never net them a Super Bowl victory during his reign. And perhaps their unwillingness to keep Schaub -- easily their most promising QB project -- is because they will need him to the near future, and Schaub will get the Atlanta payday he is hoping for.

As a Schaub dynasty owner, I hope upon hope (if however unlikely) that theory #3 is the correct thought process being mulled over in Atlanta. Schaub, if he develops, would have access to a dependable RB and a young, talented one-two punch in WRs Michael Jenkins and Roddy White. And in time, Schaub I think could be a pretty decent FF QB.

Thoughts/Comments?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:37 am

I doubt the Jets are still in the market for Matt Schaub...

Penny
Ramsey
1 of Leinart, Young, or Cutler

That is what the Jets are looking at right now...

Signing an unproven back-up QB like Schaub does not free them up to use their #4 overall on another position, so why do it? They won't be carrying (4) QB's into the season... They seem set on keeping Penny, right now, they just signed Ramsey as insurance, and the QB of the future will be their first round pick.... Why dump Abraham for an unproven QB?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Schaub, Atlanta and a possible Abraham deal - my thoughts

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:48 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:3) This one is the most "out there" -- the Falcons are looking to dump Vick off, possibly within the next year. It's no secret Vick isn't the most intuitive genius to ever run an offense... least of all not Mora's. And perhaps Atlanta's FO is finally viewing Vick for what he is: overpaid, a gimmick QB, and a field general who will never net them a Super Bowl victory during his reign. And perhaps their unwillingness to keep Schaub -- easily their most promising QB project -- is because they will need him to the near future, and Schaub will get the Atlanta payday he is hoping for.

Certainly agree here about Vick. Nothing too personal against the guy, but he's gotten far too rich and famous just being a "running" QB. (Gee, we've never seen this before: Tarkenton, Cunningham, Young) He's still putting butts in seats, so ATL wont part with him. If by any stroke of luck, ATL wins a SB with Vick at the helm, it'll be in small part to Vick and in huge part to defense and/or great o-line play.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:07 am

Plindsey88 wrote:I doubt the Jets are still in the market for Matt Schaub...

Penny
Ramsey
1 of Leinart, Young, or Cutler

That is what the Jets are looking at right now...

Signing an unproven back-up QB like Schaub does not free them up to use their #4 overall on another position, so why do it?

If they believe Schaub has the intangibles to be a starter why not? It could even put them in a position to draft Reggie Bush, thus securing the future of their RB position (we know Curtis Martin is not long for the league), while still having a QB of the future.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:28 am

Any chance they see this as a business orientated decision?

A Pro-bowl DE franchise type player will command far more money than the best back up QB. Why beat down the wallet and sacrifice the first round pick in the process?

That's just how I see it. They're not in contention for a serious playoff run. So why burn the caproom, a draft pick, and a backup QB who might garnish the same attention/value next season?

If it were Madden though, Schuab would be gone in a heartbeat.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dan9124 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:28 am

I agree with Plindsey. I don't think the Jets are after Schaub anymore unless they ship one of their current QBs to ATL along with Abraham and get draft picks and Schaub in return. Or ship one of their current QBs to another team in another trade.

IMO, I think Atlanta has held onto Schaub too long. I know a lot of teams were interested in him, but now a lot of teams have signed up the FA QBs so there's not such a big market for him anymore.

And as far as Vick being replaced by Schaub I see it being highly unlikely. The only reasonable way for that to happen is if Vick goes down with a very serious injury, which is always a possibility. If the Falcons replace Vick with Schaub now or anytime in the near future, the Atlanta fans won't stand for it and the team will lose a whole lot of money, which they need to pay for that ridiculous contract of Vick's. Vick has not proven himself yet to me, sometimes he is great and sometimes he just makes stupid mistakes. There's no way he should be making that kind of money, but there's also no denying how much money he brings to the organization and that's the reason he won't be replaced, not because of his accomplishments (or lack thereof).
dan9124
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:01 am

Since the Jets aquired Ramsey they are no longer interested in Schaub. It's a first round pick or Abraham will be back with the Jets next year against his will.

Privately, the Jets are saying they'd sooner keep Abraham, against his wishes, than trade him for less than a first-round pick...NYPost
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Schaub, Atlanta and a possible Abraham deal - my thoughts

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:28 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:3) This one is the most "out there" -- the Falcons are looking to dump Vick off, possibly within the next year. It's no secret Vick isn't the most intuitive genius to ever run an offense... least of all not Mora's. And perhaps Atlanta's FO is finally viewing Vick for what he is: overpaid, a gimmick QB, and a field general who will never net them a Super Bowl victory during his reign. And perhaps their unwillingness to keep Schaub -- easily their most promising QB project -- is because they will need him to the near future, and Schaub will get the Atlanta payday he is hoping for.

Certainly agree here about Vick. Nothing too personal against the guy, but he's gotten far too rich and famous just being a "running" QB. (Gee, we've never seen this before: Tarkenton, Cunningham, Young) He's still putting butts in seats, so ATL wont part with him. If by any stroke of luck, ATL wins a SB with Vick at the helm, it'll be in small part to Vick and in huge part to defense and/or great o-line play.

....you're not comparing Vick to these guys.....are you? 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 am

Personally, i think that schuab is better than any of the QBs in the draft. If they can make a deal for schaub, that would be preferable to drafting a QB, since he has already had some NFL experience, and looks like he has the makings of a NFL QB. The rookie class, while looking good, might not make it in the NFL. I bet they would be pissed if they pass up trading for schaub, end up drafting leinert, and then leinert ends up being the next Ryan Leaf or Tim Couch.

Schuab is stull young, and in my opinion, a better option than drafting a Qb, since he has shown he has what it takes to play in the NFL.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:55 am

Schaub played great last year, esp against a depleted NE defense when everyone was tearing them up.

I think ATL wants to keep him mainly as insurance. If Vick gets the injury Palmer got, his speed in the open field may be limited for the rest of his career, which is his only threat to defensive coordinators. However, if Vick stays in one piece, they can't keep Schaub forever and will have to draft Vick's successor.

Schaub would step in better than Leinart, Cutler, or Young, but I don't think his ceiling is any higher. He is essentially Leinart (same body, same arm) without the pedigree.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk