Griese closing in on deal with Bears - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Griese closing in on deal with Bears

Moderator: Football Moderators

Griese closing in on deal with Bears

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:14 am

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cs ... ear17.html

Although it's not official,it seems to be the most likely scenario.
If they manage to not screw this one up, does it make them automatic contenders next year? Or did the defensive implosion expose more than just the offense here?

Three decent QBs for the first time in awhile, and a very capable backup/starter in adding Griese would make me much more comfortable about the situation. More importantly, do the Bears offensive cogs become draftable in fantasy leagues if this occurs? I'm thinking Bradley and Muhammed may just be worth a shot next year.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:35 am

sure they could become more draftable if griese starts and muhammed will be drafted no matter what. i still wont touch anyone but jones with grossman or orton under center unless grossman shows some monster improvement in pre season.

as far as being contenders i think they will prbably still be inline to win the division but the SB will be a huge stretch with dallas ,carolina and seattle,to name a few,still in the mix.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:44 am

A sound signing by DaBears if they are willing to look objectively at the QB position. Seems like they have an awful lot of love for Grossman, who has proven little other than that he cannot stay healthy. The team is suited for a possesion style QB and Greasie fills that bill.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:57 am

Big question with this move. If the Bears get Greise, do they go into camp with an open competition for the starting QB job, or do they apoint it to groosman until he gets hurt, which is part of whats hurt them in the past few years.

I am a packer fan, so nothing pleases me more than seeing the bears struggle. That being said, there bears would have to be stupid not to go into camp with an open competition for the starting job.

Not having an open competition is what kept warner from signing with them last year.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Griese closing in on deal with Bears

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:29 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cs ... ear17.html

Although it's not official,it seems to be the most likely scenario.
If they manage to not screw this one up, does it make them automatic contenders next year? Or did the defensive implosion expose more than just the offense here?

Three decent QBs for the first time in awhile, and a very capable backup/starter in adding Griese would make me much more comfortable about the situation. More importantly, do the Bears offensive cogs become draftable in fantasy leagues if this occurs? I'm thinking Bradley and Muhammed may just be worth a shot next year.

I'd see how the pre-season goes before drafting any of them, but this probably does help Muhammed and Bradley's value (maybe Berrian too as a longshot) since both Griese and Grossman will do a decent job getting them the ball. Orton just did not have it last year, despite his winning all those games.

I wouldn't draft either Grossman or Griese at this point, Rex is too injury-prone but if he stays healthy Griese won't play much. I would like to see a wide-open competition for starting QB but Lovie has been hesitant to do that in the past.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:48 pm

i'd be weary of bradley this year. he was a speed receiver coming off an acl. but i love the thought of having griese at the helm. surely he's a step up from the chumps that have been piloting this team.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Steve_L » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:01 pm

Hopefully the Bears are able to sign him, it'd be a great addition to the Bears whether he's a starter or a backup.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:07 pm

Too bad the Bear's didn't make a move like this last offseason. They might have have advanced in the playoffs.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby saundman2000 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:49 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:Big question with this move. If the Bears get Greise, do they go into camp with an open competition for the starting QB job, or do they apoint it to groosman until he gets hurt, which is part of whats hurt them in the past few years.

I am a packer fan, so nothing pleases me more than seeing the bears struggle. That being said, there bears would have to be stupid not to go into camp with an open competition for the starting job.

Not having an open competition is what kept warner from signing with them last year.

It's a good question to ask if there is going to be an open competition. Bears management made it clear last year that Grossman is the main man. They demonstrated that by playing him cold in the playoffs because they had little confidence that Orton could take it to the next level.

If the Bears told Greise that he has a chance to be the starter next year, they lied to him. Grossman is still Angelo's favorite and they are going to go with him hell or high water as long as he doesn't have an incapacitating injury (ok that's a big IF and that's why they are grabbing Griese).

I think they are on the right track. IMO Grossman gives them the best chance to put consistent winning years on the table. They are going to give Rex complete assurance even in training camp that he is going to be the man. There is no competition here.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 pm

I like this move for the Bears. Grossman is the guy they want starting but if he goes down Griese is more than capable to step in and run that offense. Not a lot is asked of the Bears QB because they are so run-oriented so a guy like Griese could do well, especially with a target like Muhammed.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk