Vinatieri signs with the colts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vinatieri signs with the colts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JStein » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:50 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:You see? I think "clutchness" is, em, very hard to grab. Vanderjagt(beside from being an ass) miss one kick(shouldn't even had that chance because 1)The defensive player should ran that fumble all the way back if he had a brain 2)em, the game should be done if not for that "dropped interception") and now the Colts dump him? "clutchness" is like karma, Venetieri might have it in New England but might not bring it to Indianapolis.

I personally don't like the signing but I don't think Indy will be as good next year as they are this year(See KC 2 years ago)

You realize that Nick Harper, the Colts defensive guy running the ball back from Bettis' fumble, was stabbed in the leg by his "deranged" wife. Can't blame him for not (being able to) avoid Roethlisberger there on his tackle.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:53 pm

JStein wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:You see? I think "clutchness" is, em, very hard to grab. Vanderjagt(beside from being an ass) miss one kick(shouldn't even had that chance because 1)The defensive player should ran that fumble all the way back if he had a brain 2)em, the game should be done if not for that "dropped interception") and now the Colts dump him? "clutchness" is like karma, Venetieri might have it in New England but might not bring it to Indianapolis.

I personally don't like the signing but I don't think Indy will be as good next year as they are this year(See KC 2 years ago)

You realize that Nick Harper, the Colts defensive guy running the ball back from Bettis' fumble, was stabbed in the leg by his "deranged" wife. Can't blame him for not (being able to) avoid Roethlisberger there on his tackle.

I do know that he had a crazy wife but what I'm saying is that if Harper ran to the right instead of the middle he would have gone all the way and even Ben said that. Look, it doesn't matter now. My point is that clutchness is very hard to determine and I hardly think Vinetieri is an upgrade over Vanderjagt
[b]Akers is the man!!!!!![/b]
PlayingWithFire
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:54 pm

Saying Adam would have made it, no question about it, is what my response was to.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:58 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
JStein wrote:

I do know that he had a crazy wife but what I'm saying is that if Harper ran to the right instead of the middle he would have gone all the way and even Ben said that. Look, it doesn't matter now. My point is that clutchness is very hard to determine and I hardly think Vinetieri is an upgrade over Vanderjagt

When is the last time Vinatieri missed a FG like that when there was so much on the line? Since you probably have a real hard time thinking of it, I would say he's a darn clutch player. I don't really see how you could be arguing otherwise or even that Vanderjagt is even close to as clutch of a player as Vinatieri.

Once again, this talk is not about the events transpiring before the Vanderjagt FG (like Manning's plays or Harper's fumble recovery) it is about him choking on a FG that he should have made, or at least got somewhere close. Everyone keeps switching the focus here, but this is a talk discussing two kickers and the fact of the matter is that Vinatieri might be the most clutch kicker in NFL history....and that is definitely an upgrade over Vandy.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:59 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Saying Adam would have made it, no question about it, is what my response was to.

Once again, when was the last time Vinatieri missed a FG in an important game like this to win it? He makes it when it counts....and man did that kick count.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:06 pm

mattb47 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
JStein wrote:

When is the last time Vinatieri missed a FG like that when there was so much on the line? Since you probably have a real hard time thinking of it, I would say he's a darn clutch player. I don't really see how you could be arguing otherwise or even that Vanderjagt is even close to as clutch of a player as Vinatieri.

Once again, this talk is not about the events transpiring before the Vanderjagt FG (like Manning's plays or Harper's fumble recovery) it is about him choking on a FG that he should have made, or at least got somewhere close. Everyone keeps switching the focus here, but this is a talk discussing two kickers and the fact of the matter is that Vinatieri might be the most clutch kicker in NFL history....and that is definitely an upgrade over Vandy.

look, it was a 46 yarder and there is no sure kick after you get out of the 30s.

Again, what was the last time Vanderjagt choked before the Pittsburg game? You, too, would have a hard time thinking about it.

my point is that the stat speaks for themselves and Vanderjagt is a more accurate kicker

??? I only have 300 post in the football cafe? :-?
[b]Akers is the man!!!!!![/b]
PlayingWithFire
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:14 pm

mattb47 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Saying Adam would have made it, no question about it, is what my response was to.

Once again, when was the last time Vinatieri missed a FG in an important game like this to win it? He makes it when it counts....and man did that kick count.

Adam recently missed a key kick in the Denver game. Even though it wasnt to win it, it was a important kick to put the Pats back into striking distance.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:20 pm

Kicking two Super Bowl winners seems to make me think he's a little more clutch than a guy choking in a divisional playoff.

Really it's a moot point though, in my opinion. Vanderjagt had burned plenty of bridges before that point, and I would have been very surprised if they resigned him...even before he missed the FG.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:23 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
JStein wrote:

look, it was a 46 yarder and there is no sure kick after you get out of the 30s.

Again, what was the last time Vanderjagt choked before the Pittsburg game? You, too, would have a hard time thinking about it.

my point is that the stat speaks for themselves and Vanderjagt is a more accurate kicker

??? I only have 300 post in the football cafe? :-?

First off, what does your post count have to do with anything?

Also, I think you also need to ask yourself the question of when was the last time Vanderjagt was asked to kick an important FG in a game? Personally, I like Vinatieri's record of rarely ever missing an imporatant FG more than Vanderjagts one important FG tried, 1 missed.

You also need to keep in mind that Vanderjagt has kicked FGs in 50%+ of his games indoors for his entire career. Also, if you look at their stats comparitively over the past 2 years:

Vanderjagt: 43/50, 86%

Vinatieri: 51/58, 87.9%

So Vinatieri has been better over the past two years both accuracy wise and with important kicks....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk