Meshawn to the Giants? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Meshawn to the Giants?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:19 pm

KJ left NY w/o a contract and has scheduled a meeting with NE.

I really don't think the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys are making moves to keep up with the Skins. The Skins made a huge splash but Archuleta, Randel El and Lloyd is not that dramatic of an improvement. The Cowboys made a much bigger improvement in a single signing assuming TO doesn't dismantle the team with his antics.

I do agree it will be a very tough division. I think it's even tougher than some people think because people are sleeping on the Eagles. Every team will have a legitimate shot at the NFC East title so it should be a pretty cool season.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby D3C4K » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Amazinz wrote:KJ left NY w/o a contract and has scheduled a meeting with NE.

I really don't think the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys are making moves to keep up with the Skins. The Skins made a huge splash but Archuleta, Randel El and Lloyd is not that dramatic of an improvement. The Cowboys made a much bigger improvement in a single signing assuming TO doesn't dismantle the team with his antics.

I do agree it will be a very tough division. I think it's even tougher than some people think because people are sleeping on the Eagles. Every team will have a legitimate shot at the NFC East title so it should be a pretty cool season.

Yeah, I think it's going to be an exciting season in the NFC East. It would be even more exciting if Keyshawn and LeVar sign with the Giants, then virtually every NFC East game would be a grudge match on some level. Here's hoping, although NE could really use a receiver right now.
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:33 pm

Yeah, all the other free agent moves they've made in each of the past few seasons made them unstoppable. ;-7

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Flockers » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:01 pm

JStein wrote:
Steve_L wrote:
JStein wrote:If Keyshawn goes to the Giants, it's making Eli sounds like a much better #1 or #2 draft choice for me. #1 maybe too early, but #2, definately.

Yea, no way Eli is worth a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. He's still hardly in the top 5 of QBs if he even is.
Alrighty - I'm still new to drafting fantasy :D. Still learning - thanks for the advice.

You found the right place.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby SniperShot » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:25 pm

With or without Key I'd look for Eli to be a very good Fantasy QB next season.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:13 am

I heard an analyst compare the NFC east next year to the old AFC East when they had the Colts in it, a division that just is leagues above the other divisions in their conference.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:38 pm

I hope Keyshawn goes to GB, they need him, with walker demanding a trade.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby logan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:03 pm

apprently key gave peterson a phone call

HE WANTS KC TO GIVE HIM THE *!&% BALL
Chiefs get a call from Keyshawn
But receiver told needs on defense come first
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

Kansas City: barbecue capital, city of fountains and curiosity spot for wayward receivers.

Just as the Chiefs-Terrell Owens hubbub was beginning to die down, Keyshawn Johnson placed a call to Kansas City president/general manager Carl Peterson last week. Johnson had just been released by Dallas to make room for Owens. And as usual, he was very direct.

“I’d really like to be a Chief,” Johnson told Peterson.

Peterson said Tuesday that he appreciates the interest, but the Chiefs have told Johnson to wait a couple of weeks until the franchise addresses some needs on defense. On Tuesday, Johnson was reportedly in New York visiting with the Giants, and the Chiefs were talking to two defensive free agents.

One of them was Buffalo’s Ryan Denney, a 6-foot-7, 275-pound defensive end who had four sacks in 2005.

But back to Johnson and the Chiefs’ loaded offense, which is probably not on the front burner in free agency this spring. Kansas City has had a handful of big-name players who have been bandied about as possible additions. First there was Owens, whose agent approached Peterson and coach Herm Edwards at the Senior Bowl. Owens ended up getting a fat deal from the Cowboys, something the Chiefs probably weren’t willing to offer.

Then, within the last week, Johnson’s and Joey Harrington’s names have popped up. Peterson said Tuesday that he chatted with Detroit Lions president Matt Millen last week about Harrington, and that they talked again Monday about the embattled quarterback.

Peterson had an affection for the youngster four years ago when Harrington was coming out of college at Oregon. The Lions drafted him with the No. 3 overall pick, the Chiefs moved on, and now Harrington’s on his way out.

“Matt said: ‘You’ve got time to do your research on him. Evaluate him and let me know what you think his value is,’ ” Peterson said. “Obviously, the value to the Lions is a draft choice, compensation. They have not released him. They still have his rights.

“I liked Joey Harrington coming out of college exceedingly well. We had a very, very good grade on him. But that was four years ago. We’ve got to evaluate also what he’s done in his time in the NFL and why he’s done it and what are the extenuating circumstances. So we’re evaluating that situation. Right now, I’m planning on Trent Green for the next couple of years at least. We’ve signed a veteran backup in Damon Huard and also signed an exceedingly talented young quarterback in Casey Printers.”

Johnson is talented, and was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1996 draft. He’s also been productive, leading Dallas with 71 receptions last year for 839 yards and six touchdowns. But at 33, he doesn’t exactly fit into the Chiefs’ push to get younger. And Johnson recently told Sports Illustrated that he’s worth more than $2.5 million, which may be too pricey for a position that isn’t at the top of the Chiefs’ needs list.

Peterson spent a few minutes late Tuesday talking about the time, money and effort the Chiefs have spent on young receivers Samie Parker and Craphonso Thorpe. He called them receivers on the rise.

“And frankly,” he said, “I think too many people forget about Eddie Kennison and his two consecutive 1,000-plus receiving years.”

But Peterson isn’t closing the door on Johnson, and he doesn’t mind listening to one of the most outspoken receivers in the NFL. Especially when Johnson is doing the calling.

“I’d say right now it’s in a holding pattern,” Peterson said.

doubt it will come to fruition becaise of the money and our needs but i figured i'd add tothe key thread.

and another article on the giants situation and KEY. apparently the offered him 3 mil and he left.

Key chasing a Giant payday

$3M a year not enough

By RALPH VACCHIANO
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Keyshawn Johnson talks with Giants yesterday, but leaves Meadowlands in his limo without a deal.
The white stretch limousine carrying Keyshawn Johnson pulled out of Giants Stadium around 4 p.m. yesterday. As it took off down the New Jersey Turnpike, there was no guarantee that Johnson would ever return.

The star receiver wrapped up a two-day visit with the Giants, but left without signing a contract and with no plans to visit the team again. That's not a good sign, especially since the Giants offered him a deal worth $3 million per season. Apparently Johnson decided to see if he could get more someplace else.

Several Giants sources said that's not necessarily the end of the team's pursuit of the ex-Jet and former No. 1 overall draft pick, but they're not optimistic either. Even though not everyone in the organization was sold on the idea to begin with, the Giants still tried hard to get Johnson to sign before he left the building. They were not encouraged when he left.

Uncharacteristically, Johnson did not stop to speak to reporters waiting for him outside the stadium. In a brief conversation with The News a few hours later, all he would say is "It's very sensitive. I can't talk about it right now."

It's not clear where Johnson was headed next, but Carolina, New England, Philadelphia and Seattle have all reportedly expressed an interest in bringing him in for a visit. He also has refused to rule out a return to Dallas, although that's unlikely after the Cowboys signed Terrell Owens last week.

The Owens signing is what rendered the 33-year-old Johnson expendable and led to his release last week before he was due a $1 million roster bonus on top of the $1.5 million in salary he was scheduled to make in 2006. Soon after he was cut, Johnson set his price tag high when he told SI.com "I know exactly what I'm worth, and it's not $2.5 million a year."

But that didn't scare off the Giants, who need a dependable third receiver to play alongside Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer. Their No. 3 receiver last year was Tim Carter, who had just 10 catches for 186 yards. Carter is a free agent and isn't likely to be re-signed.

Johnson led the Cowboys in catches last season with 71 for 839 yards and six touchdowns, proving he has plenty left as he heads into his 11th season. He's topped 70 catches and 800 yards in eight of his 10 seasons. He fell short only in his rookie season and in 2003, when a dispute with coach Jon Gruden led to him being deactivated for his final six games in Tampa Bay.

Putting the sure-handed, 6-foot-4 Johnson alongside Burress (6-5), Toomer (6-3) and tight end Jeremy Shockey (6-5) is obviously an enticing thought for the Giants. They pursued him hard, even though signing Johnson could make it impossible for them to land their other top target, linebacker LaVar Arrington, since they're operating with only about $5 million in salary-cap room.

Johnson, who took New York by storm as a Jets rookie in 1996, arrived for his visit Monday night, when he went to dinner with team officials. Yesterday morning he went for a physical at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Then he was whisked back to Giants Stadium to meet with coaches and begin contract talks.

Johnson was accompanied on his trip by his former agent, Jerome Stanley, who is currently serving a one-year suspension from the NFL Players' Association. A source said Stanley is serving only as an advisor. Johnson is handling the negotiations himself. Stanley did not return calls yesterday, and Giants GM Ernie Accorsi declined to comment, so it's not clear if the negotiations will continue.

The Giants have asked Johnson to stay in touch as he begins what could be an extensive free-agent tour, but their offer is not likely to go up by much.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to Football Talk