Griese signs 5 year deal with Bears - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Griese signs 5 year deal with Bears

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby logan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:50 am

i'm surprised they gave him that long of a deal to be honest. perhaps with griese possibly starting it could give grossman some time to better understand and improve his game. even though this will be his what fourth year, he really hasn't played that much nor been given the time to learn on the sidelines from an atleast decent older QB. remember griese is coming off mcl and pcl teears so he has his risks as well.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:41 am

My bet is that they told him he would have a chance to start, but really, he is just going to be Grossmans backup.

If Grossman goes down again though, he is probably done for good.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:52 am

Obviously Grossman's durability is a concern. For the Bears, Griese sadly is the best QB they've signed in recent memory (Um, Kordell Stewart, Jeff George anyone?). Orton was OK at times last season but was clearly not ready to be the starter. This gives them nice insurance if Grossman goes down again and allows Orton to further learn the system without being thrown to the wolves right away this season.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:53 am

frist of all, the bears would be morons if they dont go into camp with an OPEN competition for the starting job.

Second, to the guy who said that groosman is their franchise QB, that is the dumbest thing i have heard in a while. Thats like saying pennington is the Jets franchise QB.

Yes, when healthy, groosman can be good. But with 3 running years of injuries, how can they consider him the franchise?

I bet if pennington could go a whole year without injuries, he would be just as good as grossman. They have both proved they cant stay healthy, and until they PROVE otherwise, they cant be considered a Franchise calabir QB.

Now, if grossman can go an entire year without getting hurt, my opinion might change, but until he does that, he is nothing but an injury waiting to happen

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:29 am

vikingsfan11 wrote:Still doesnt solve there qb situation if you ask me. they all suck

Nice input Brad Johnson boy. How many more throws you think he's got in him?

Anyway, Griese is a pro bowl QB (yes, he actually did go once) and he shouldn't have a problem taking the job away from the 8 game starter, Rx (not a misprint) Grossman. Kyle is the man just for doing what he did, but he probably will be a career backup, ala Shane Matthews or Koy Detmer. What else were they supposed to do, get Drew Brees? No way that was going to happen, and I'm not sure I want that after the injury anyway. How about Fiedler? Don't make me puke. This is the QB that made sense for this team. It's just what he needs, and he's just what they need. Don't worry about the 5 year deal, most players never finish their contract anyway before one or the other wants out.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:22 pm

well, the bears are set at qb for a while. i honestly think they were even before griese got there. even though orton sucked, he played fairly well for a rookie qb. he can only get better and could be a good qb someday. griese just adds to the insurance on grossman.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk