Trading Rules??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading Rules???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading Rules???

Postby skinsrule » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:30 am

Hi everyone. I am a commish of a 12 team pretty standard rules league. We are implementing trading amongest managers this season.

How do I make this fair?

What works in your leagues?

Offer any suggestions I should know.

thanks,
GO SKINS
skinsrule
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:00 am

i've done it a few ways. some are done with the commish deciding on the trade and then if anyone objects it can be brought up and discussed.if the commish is involved it would default to the co commish etc. there is also the yahoo approach in which all the teams have two days to enter a veto on a trade.

i like the yahoo approach less with people i don't know/trust as they may decide to vote against a trade for reasons other than what it should be voted against for. such as collusion.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:55 am

Heh, someone probably replied by now...I've had this sitting on the desktop for over an hour. :-B

There are different ways you can let the trade process work. You can either have the commissioner look at them and make sure they are fair, or you can have the league look at them and have a "veto" rule if they feel it's unfair.

The veto thing is a sticky point in fantasy football because one person's view of a "fair" trade might not be the same as someone else. There's always the underlying thought that a particular team will now be better than their own team, therefore they don't want the trade to go through. That shouldn't be the point of the veto...really it should only be used unless the trade is blatantly unfair (meaning some pretty useless player for a top player) or if there is collusion between two managers to upset the league balance.

On Yahoo leagues, I think you have to have 1/3 of the members of the league voting to veto a trade before it's disallowed. That isn't bad if you're going to do it.

Basically, trades are fine as long as it's not dirty. If someone stupidly trades someone for another player without collusion or whatever, it's probably OK to go through.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:58 am

My policy on trading in my leagues is that unless there is obvious collusion/cheating/team dumping going on then the trade will go through.

Of course in a keeper league a trade can sometimes be a lot more justifiable than in a redraft league.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:42 am

Above all, make sure everybody knows and understands what the rules for trading and the criteria for vetoes are. Nothing causes more problems than two owners with different views on what constitutes a legitimate veto, and reaching a consensus on that question with a controversial trade pending is close to impossible.

Get the guidelines squared away before the season begins (as it seems you're planning to do). You'll save yourself an endless amount of headaches later on.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Thanks everyone! How @ Deadlines?

Postby skinsrule » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:44 pm

Any more information keep posting!!!! Probably going to set up some type of veto rule since most owners are family or close friends don't think there will be much problem.

When is a good deadline if playoffs start week #14?

When is a good deadline if playoffs start week #15?
skinsrule
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattb47 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:49 pm

I have personally always thought that the best way to run a trade policy is to simply let the commishioners decide (And yes I think there should be 2 commishioners). What I've found with many leagues is that when it is left open to league vote, people simply veto trades that they don't necessarily like, not because they are bad trades because of collusion. The commishioners would review the trade and there can be a time for members to complain about the trade and if they have valid reasoning then the commishioners take that into account and make the final decision.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Trade backs

Postby skinsrule » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:53 am

How do I assure that owners do not just trade for 1 week then trade back? How does everyone accomplish this?
skinsrule
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Trade backs

Postby ironman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:40 am

skinsrule wrote:How do I assure that owners do not just trade for 1 week then trade back? How does everyone accomplish this?

I've never seen that happen.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Trade backs

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:06 am

skinsrule wrote:How do I assure that owners do not just trade for 1 week then trade back? How does everyone accomplish this?

Well, that is always a possibility.

What you will want to do is set ground rules before the season and make sure it's in some sort of league charter stating that this isn't allowed. Basically you will want to make a harsh penalty for collusion.

Say the scenario you described happens. You as commissioner should have the power to put the players back on the teams they were at after the trade, and then you lock out their rosters for the rest of the year and/or make them forfeit their remaining games. That will (hopefully) deter people from making underhanded deals. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk