What are the Packers doing?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What are the Packers doing??

Moderator: Football Moderators

What are the Packers doing??

Postby Warpigs » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:49 am

I understand that resigning Kampman was an important move and getting Pickett was nice. However, the Packers are one of just a handful of teams that could really make a splash in the free agent market, and yet have done relatively little, IMO. They could be trying to bolster their O-line, building one of the best defenses in the NFL, etc. I realize that they will be doing some of this restructuring in the draft, but if they wait too long, most of the real free agent talent will be gone. What does everyone realistically think the Packers will do the rest of this offseason as far as moves made?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:01 am

I agree with you. I am a life long packer fan, and am unhappy with they way the handle their offseason moves. Not just this year either, they have never been a team to go out and make a bunch of moves in the offseason.

I would like to see them sign a big name O Lineman, although, i would have rather they just kept it intact last year, but o well.

They are going to have to do something with walker, he wants out. I would like to see them trade him for a young RB prospect, maybe to phily for Moats?

That also leaves a big hole at WR they must fill, i wouldnt mind seeing them go after keyshawn to fill that void, but it looks like he is heading to NY.

I would also like to know what the hell favre plans on doing. I wish he would just make his decision already.

They could also use some help at the corner positions. Other than al harris, noone else really is worth all that much.

anyway, most of this is wishful thinking. They probably wont do much until the draft. They should be in good position to get either AJ Hawke or Mario willaims

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warpigs » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:06 am

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:I agree with you. I am a life long packer fan, and am unhappy with they way the handle their offseason moves. Not just this year either, they have never been a team to go out and make a bunch of moves in the offseason.

I would like to see them sign a big name O Lineman, although, i would have rather they just kept it intact last year, but o well.

They are going to have to do something with walker, he wants out. I would like to see them trade him for a young RB prospect, maybe to phily for Moats?

That also leaves a big hole at WR they must fill, i wouldnt mind seeing them go after keyshawn to fill that void, but it looks like he is heading to NY.

I would also like to know what the hell favre plans on doing. I wish he would just make his decision already.

They could also use some help at the corner positions. Other than al harris, noone else really is worth all that much.

anyway, most of this is wishful thinking. They probably wont do much until the draft. They should be in good position to get either AJ Hawke or Mario willaims

I think that Favre would have made a decision already if the Packers were a little more aggressive in the offseason so far. I know he's planning on basing his decision on how the Packers handle the offseason. If they went out there and signed some big-name Olinemen to protect him and showed they were committed to winning in 2006, I think he'd be ready to commit to playing by now.

A perfect example of their wishy-washy actions so far is Vinatieri. For some reason he was supposedly a main target for the Packer brass (not sure why -- I thought Longwell was good enough for the job, or the number of other kickers available), but they let him get away to Indy.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:26 am

Their problems are not gonna be solved by overpaying for FAs.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:30 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:Their problems are not gonna be solved by overpaying for FAs.

I agree. But their problems won't be solved if they sit on their hands and do nothing, either. Not that they're doing that here totally. I agree they made two nice moves. But there is so much more they could be.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:33 am

Warpigs wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:Their problems are not gonna be solved by overpaying for FAs.

I agree. But their problems won't be solved if they sit on their hands and do nothing, either. Not that they're doing that here totally. I agree they made two nice moves. But there is so much more they could be.

I'm sure all fans feel that way about their respective teams except for fans of a few select teams (Redskins, for instance).

You have to remember that there's still the draft, June 1st cuts, and other opportunities to improve. IMO, the Packers need to worry about the draft.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:35 am

They are waiting on Favre's advice on which FA's to get and which guys to draft. He's the GM right?

My guess is that everything's on hold for Favre. The Packers will be very active in the FA market once Brett declares whether he's going to play or retire.

Favre is just delaying the Packers' rebuilding for another year.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:00 pm

I have no beef with the Packers being frugal, they are likely to be a team in rebuilding mode next year, no problem with saving cap space for next year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:13 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I have no beef with the Packers being frugal, they are likely to be a team in rebuilding mode next year, no problem with saving cap space for next year.

I definitely agree with CC on this one, plus Ted Thompson is someone who builds through the draft, not through free agency.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:42 am

Yes, Thompson has said many times that he prefers the draft to free agency. He says the free agency is a useful tool, but he's not going to go out and overspend on some 35 year old guard or anything like that. I wouldn't go writing the Pack off for a repeat of last season just yet until after the draft.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk