Niners possible 3rd round compensation next year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Niners possible 3rd round compensation next year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:58 am

mysticphysh wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Mind you these 3rd rounders are after the 32nd 3rd round pick. They're really early 4th rounders. Not something to be concerned about over signing quality FAs.

Seems to me the Niners are being cheap. That's not cool since like I said the other day...I don't want the 49ers to become the Pirates and Penguins. That's what they do; sign crappy talent while people still come to the games, and the owners reap all the benefits without fielding a "legitimate" team. :-t

I don't follow hockey, so I don't know about the Penguins, but the Pirates groom good talent and draft pretty well...they just can't afford to keep players. Every year, they whole sale their good players becuase they can't afford it, not because they're cheap.

And the Penquins signed a ton of players this last offseason. they didn't play very well but they did spend alot of money.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:16 am

Yeah, you're right...the young guys the Pirates have recently lost had too high an asking price, but the owner needs to grab his nuts and spend the extra money to field a contending team. This buying bargain basement vets crap and saying it's an improvement is straight out of Major League. :-t

If the team wins, there will be profit because Pittsburghers love to watch winning teams (hell, they still watch the losing teams...haven't won in 13 years and they still draw 1.5 million people). It's just that he's unwilling to spend money to make money.

If they still had Ramirez, Schmidt, and a few other pieces, the team would be right in the hunt in my view.

Anyway, I hope the 49ers can build through the draft and do it the right way...and once they find some core guys that can make the team great, they need to make sure they're taken care of.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:49 pm

I don't think that anyone on the internet can truly say what kind of compensation picks will be awarded, because no one knows the formula.

Pat Kirwan on Sirius Satellite Radio was saying that back in his front office days, teams would think they were getting picks because they lose a lot of high value FAs, and then they end up with nothing. You can't really even pin down what you will net with all of your lost FAs, let alone a specific pick for any given lost FA.

The article that quotes the "most informed guy on the internet" even states that he doesn't know the formula for the picks and that he bases what he says entirely on conjecture. How can he claim to understand how the formula works when he admits that he doesn't even have the slightest clue of what it is? Although I'm sure that "AdamJT13" is the utmost authority on the topic, I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, I highly doubt any NFL franchises are restricting their FA activity based on GUESSWORK of the compensatory picks they will receive in a future draft. I have a much more simple explanation of why the 49er's aren't making any signings. John York is one cheap <expletive.>
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby proKrastinate » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:53 pm

yea i just thought it was an interesting read. after thinking about it and how random the picks really are, I can't seem to justify not signing anyone based upon getting a comp pick. hopefully this is NOT what we are doing. I'd rather have a cheap owner than a stupid one :)

which is precisely why I'm not owner :p
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk