Oakland Signs Aaron Brooks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Oakland Signs Aaron Brooks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Oakland has a far worse offensive line than the Saints do. What makes anyone think that a quarterback like Brooks is going to perform any better in that offense than Collins? I realize he's a bit more mobile, but he's also prone to the same mistakes Collins is. Fumbles, Interceptions, lack of intuition. These things all plague Brooks as well.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:53 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Oakland has a far worse offensive line than the Saints do. What makes anyone think that a quarterback like Brooks is going to perform any better in that offense than Collins? I realize he's a bit more mobile, but he's also prone to the same mistakes Collins is. Fumbles, Interceptions, lack of intuition. These things all plague Brooks as well.

That offensive line has some young guys, I suppose there is a chance they will improve.

I think Brooks is more talented than Collins, and he doesn't throw nearly as many picks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:26 pm

Two Year deal looks to be a test run or an insurance plan. Raiders are probably targeting/"keeping an eye out" for any qb whether its in this years draft or next years off-season.

Brooks-->Mentor--->Hell No!--->Mentor Walters into mediocrity?

Brooks can only improve. He has never shown any serious winning leaderhsip in him. Much like Collins in a black and silver jersey. Brooks with confidence could be impressive.

Signing Brooks is out of character for the Raiders front office. Normally they sign high profile players beyond their prime to large fat contracts based on years past. I personally am impressed by the TWO year deal and bringing in a younger type of player. Much like the Burgess signing. The Raiders showing signs of semi-intelligence.

Raiders O-line:

Run-Blocking b+ grade.

Pass-blocking:
-early to mid season was a B-/C+ grade. Young guys need to become familiar with the game and eachother. But played decent.

-late season: C/D+ terrible

Collins lack of confidence made the o-line look more terrible than they deserve. He had PLENTY of time. He held the ball waaaay too long. Thats not the lines fault. Moss-Porter-Lamont were constantly running their routes finding their openings but Collins lack/deterioting qb skills hurt the raiders badly.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:49 pm

Raiders '06 Fantasy Overview:

Brooks:. Higher than normal. Easily more potential than previous years. On potential alone his in the middle of the pack for #2 qbs. I wouldn't mind having him.

Moss: Remains inside the top 5. Consistency of Harrison-Holt-TO-Chad Johnson pushes Randy back. Brooks gambling downfield will help stabalize Moss's value. Collins lack of balls destroyed Randy last season.

Porter: Rich-Mans Stallworth. Still aviable threat. With enough snaps all raiders wrs will be productive.

LAMONT: If Deuce can be considered a Top 10 RB why can't Lamont without the injuries?
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jayday » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:41 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:[b]Oakland has a far worse offensive line than the Saints do.[/bn] What makes anyone think that a quarterback like Brooks is going to perform any better in that offense than Collins? I realize he's a bit more mobile, but he's also prone to the same mistakes Collins is. Fumbles, Interceptions, lack of intuition. These things all plague Brooks as well.

They have some young talent, and don't forget they signed Art Shell as their Head Coach....I'd venture to say O-Line is near the top of his priority list.... B-)
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:12 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:
terpfan wrote:And QBs continue to fall in the draft....

I dunno. I can still see Al Davis drafting Young if he falls that far. He is senile like that

I don't think drafting the best player available is senile at all. And I also don't think Brooks is the answer at Oakland (I still like Brooks, but I think they need a more dependable guy...). I do think Walter is the answer, but they might let him go, I guess.

Anyways, the Ravens have drafted BPA for a while now, and while they may not be the best team in the league, they draft like champs.

Last year:Mark Clayton, Dan Cody (steal at mid-2), Adam Terry (also steal)

2004: no 1st

2003: Terrell Suggs, Boller (well Suggs is good), Musa at 3rd

2002: 1st- Ed Reed, 2nd- Anthony Weaver

2001: 1st- Todd Heap, 2nd- Gary Baxter, 4th Edgerton Hartwell

2000: Jamal, 6th Adalius Thomas (multi-Pro Bowler for Special Teams)

1999: 1st- CMac, 4th- Brandon Stokley

1998: 1st-Duane Starks (off year, I guess... he's the only name)

1997: 1st-Bowlware, 2nd-Jamie Sharper

1996: 1a-Ray Lewis, 1b-Ogden

make your Boller cracks if you want, but the Ravens have been (I'll go as far as to say) the most successful team in the last decade in evaluating talent and not having busts on their roster (not ones they draft, anyways). And the Ravens were one of the teams that popularized the BPA draft style.

Point being, if Oakland drafts Young, I'll commend them. Best player available if he falls to 7.

How do you know Young will be BPA at #7?

6 players are, without question, better NFL prospects than Young:

1) R. Bush
2) D. Ferguson
3) M. Leinart
4) M. Williams
5) J. Cutler
6) A.J. Hawk

And after that, the next 4 are VERY closely grouped:

1) V. Young
2) V. Davis
3) H. Ngata
4) M. Huff

All of these guys fill a need for the Raiders... With the Brooks signing, and Walter already on the roster, I'm not so sure Vince Young will be Oakland's pick....

Nor am I sure that he is BPA at #7... Personally, I think Vernon Davis has a MUCH greater possibility of being a Pro-Bowler than Young does...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MrTwo94 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:05 am

I'll take Brooks and Bledsoe late, platoon them, and come out with top QB numbers. Might grab Warner if one of these two gets snatched up.

Brooks was a top 10 fantasy QB with Horn and Stallworth. He'll be a top 10 QB with Moss and Porter.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:09 am

MrTwo94 wrote:I'll take Brooks and Bledsoe late, platoon them, and come out with top QB numbers. Might grab Warner if one of these two gets snatched up.

Brooks was a top 10 fantasy QB with Horn and Stallworth. He'll be a top 10 QB with Moss and Porter.

That's a very sound strategy providing you know the weeks both will perform well...it's not always cut and dried with Brooks. If memory serves, he likes to choke against bad teams and kick butt against good ones. I suppose that's a by-product of playing from behind a lot against good teams, but it goes against conventional fantasy football logic. :-S
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MrTwo94 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 am

Yeah, I do it every year. I don't have that great of success at picking the right QB bc of stuff like you said (it seems to apply to everyone, not just Brooks), but they are usually both good QB's (borderline top 10) so I end up ok. I would not be surprised if both of these guys end up in the top 10. Bledsoe was 11th last year. I think TO will bump him up a couple spots.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:21 am

My league doesn't penalize for turnovers...so I like Brooksy!
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk