What Are The Patriots Doing?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What Are The Patriots Doing??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:58 pm

The Patriots did better than 24 other NFL franchises - anytime a team makes the playoffs IMO it is an accomplishment. I was surprised that they handled the Jags like they did. And again, you can only win the divsion you are put into.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:02 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:The Patriots did better than 24 other NFL franchises - anytime a team makes the playoffs IMO it is an accomplishment. I was surprised that they handled the Jags like they did. And again, you can only win the divsion you are put into.

I would call beating Jacksonville an accomplishment, yes. Making the playoffs in that division, it was almost a gift so I don't call that an accomplishment, I see that as an expectation. But to say anything the Pats did this year was a "Huge Accomplishment" is completely out of the question.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:53 pm

mattb47 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:The Patriots did better than 24 other NFL franchises - anytime a team makes the playoffs IMO it is an accomplishment. I was surprised that they handled the Jags like they did. And again, you can only win the divsion you are put into.

I would call beating Jacksonville an accomplishment, yes. Making the playoffs in that division, it was almost a gift so I don't call that an accomplishment, I see that as an expectation. But to say anything the Pats did this year was a "Huge Accomplishment" is completely out of the question.

Beating the Super Bowl Champs in their own house? :-b
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:34 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

Beating the Super Bowl Champs in their own house? :-b

;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:36 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:The Patriots are not going to win the SB every yr...to make the divisional playoffs was a huge accomplishment.

So by that logic the Colts season was a huge accomplishment too.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:38 pm

Swiper by now you should have realized that RocketsDWM doesnt use logic when discussing the patriots. ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:39 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:The Patriots are not going to win the SB every yr...to make the divisional playoffs was a huge accomplishment.

So by that logic the Colts season was a huge accomplishment too.

Yes, their season was a success. Making the playoffs for any team is an accomplishment.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:44 pm

The way I look at it is that the Patriots had a disappointing season because they were one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. Getting to the playoffs for the Patriots is not a huge accomplishment since they were expected to go far into the playoffs.

A huge accomplishment was what the Bears did last season. I don't think many people even picked them to get into the playoffs, let alone having a 1st round bye. They lost in their 1st playoff game but getting to the playoffs and having a 1st round bye was a huge accomplishment since not many people expected them to even make the playoffs.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:47 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:The way I look at it is that the Patriots had a disappointing season because they were one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. Getting to the playoffs for the Patriots is not an accomplishment since they were expected to go far into the playoffs.

A huge accomplishment was what the Bears did last season. I don't think many people even picked them to get into the playoffs, let alone having a 1st round bye. They lost in their 1st playoff game but getting to the playoffs and having a 1st round bye was a huge accomplishment since not many people expected them to even make the playoffs.

While I can see your side of it, I just dont think people are putting realistic expectations on this team - they cant win the SB every yr. So getting to the 2nd rd with an injury riddled team and playing a very tough Denver team at their house and losing is nothing to be ashamed of. Even though they lost, I view it as a positive season - we simply have differing views but I respect yours.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:56 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:The way I look at it is that the Patriots had a disappointing season because they were one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. Getting to the playoffs for the Patriots is not an accomplishment since they were expected to go far into the playoffs.

While I can see your side of it, I just dont think people are putting realistic expectations on this team - they cant win the SB every yr. So getting to the 2nd rd with an injury riddled team and playing a very tough Denver team at their house and losing is nothing to be ashamed of. Even though they lost, I view it as a positive season - we simply have differing views but I respect yours.

I respect yours also and I agree that the Patriots had a successful season, especially with all the injuries they had & losing both coordinators.

My point is that success is measured differently for different teams. The Patriots had a successful season because through all the adversity they still were one of 12 teams to make the playoffs and they even won 1 playoff game. I just don't think that this was a huge accomplishment for a team that was a Super Bowl favorite going into the season. They had injuries during the regular season but were fairly healthy and playing well during the playoffs. Every team has to play through injuries every season.

A huge accomplishment would be for a team like the Jets to make the playoffs next year. They will be picked to finish last in their division by almost everyone next year. If they somehow make the playoffs...that would be a huge accomplishment.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk