Bledsoe a top-five fantasy quarterback next season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bledsoe a top-five fantasy quarterback next season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bledsoe a top-five fantasy quarterback next season

Postby The Lung » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:50 pm

So thinks Francis Duffy of KFFL. From: http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=kffl-terrellowenswrdallas&prov=kffl&type=lgns&league=fantasy

What do you get when you cross one of the biggest egos on the field with one of the biggest egos off of it? That is a question that has yet to be answered but surely will be in the coming months, as wide receiver Terrell Owens forms his bond with Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells. The egotistical wideout signed a three-year deal with the Cowboys last week, after a two-year stint with the division rival Philadelphia Eagles. Owens enjoyed the best of times and the worst of times in the "City of Brotherly Love", as he played in the Super Bowl in his first season but went on to spend half of his second year at home after being deactivated by the team.

Owens is undoubtedly one of the most talented players in all of football, at any position, and will definitely upgrade a Dallas offense that finished 15th in the National Football League in passing yardage a year ago. His ability to make plays after the catch is invaluable, especially playing with a quarterback that does not have as much time to throw. He has great size and deceptive speed, especially when he is fully healthy.

"T.O." will be taking over as the team's No. 1 wide receiver in 2006, as they just released another egomaniac in fellow wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson. Opposite him will be Terry Glenn who, despite turning 31 last July, enjoyed one of his best seasons as a pro in 2005, catching a career-high nine touchdowns. Throwing him the ball will be quarterback Drew Bledsoe, who enjoyed moderate success at times in his first year in Dallas last season, despite having almost no help on the offensive line.

Again, there is no doubting Owens' accomplishments in between the lines. It is his actions outside the stripes that really make this a questionable move for a franchise that has not won a playoff game in nine years. Can Owens develop a rapport with Bledsoe, who threw 17 interceptions in 2005 (his most since 1999)? How will he gel with Parcells and owner Jerry Jones? How will he fit in Dallas' locker room? Will veterans allow Owens to act as he did in Philadelphia and San Francisco? These questions will all need to be answered before one can truly predict how Dallas' 2006 campaign will turn out.

Fantasy Outlook

Fantasy-wise, everyone on Dallas' offense should improve statistically with Owens in the lineup. Bledsoe, who was just an okay fantasy starter in 2005, will probably turn into a top-five fantasy quarterback next season with targets such as Owens, Glenn and tight end Jason Witten to throw to. Glenn will see double-coverage far less often and should score as many as six or seven times next year. Witten will look more like he did at the end of 2004 and should be one of the premier fantasy tight ends. Running back Julius Jones won't see that extra safety in the box nearly as often either and should have more room to run.

A lot of what happens with this offense depends on what Dallas does to fix their offensive line in 2006. This is a unit that struggled due to a lack of depth as well as continuity last season, and they need to improve this year. They have added veteran offensive tackle Jason Fabini (formerly of the New York Jets), but there is still a question mark at guard, where Allen has been released for cap relief, and at center, where Al Johnson has not played as well as his second-round label suggests. If the line plays up to par, Bledsoe has more time to throw, Jones has more room to run and Witten has less time to spend on the line helping out the tackles.

As long as Owens is on the field though, you can depend on him to produce. He is one of the top fantasy players when healthy and should be a solid addition to your fantasy team in the second or third round should you opt to draft in that direction. KFFL doesn't recommend taking a wide receiver in the first three rounds, especially Owens, though he will more than likely be gone by the end of Round 3 in any league format.

Beware of his attitude of course, as that could come back to haunt you if he begins to act up in "Big D". Nevertheless, you can count on Owens to put up No. 1 fantasy receiver numbers.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:14 pm

Kerry Collins 2005.

Excuse me if I temper my expectations about Bledsoe, especially given how much Parcells likes to feed Julius Jones the football.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:16 pm

maddog60 wrote:Kerry Collins 2005.

Excuse me if I temper my expectations about Bledsoe, especially given how much Parcells likes to feed Julius Jones the football.

Beat me to it. I wouldnt say TO automatically makes Bledsoe a top 5 QB. Too many people fell into that trap last year. Top 10 seems more likely.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:18 pm

No chance. His stock obviously goes up but he won't reach Top 5 status.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:19 pm

So do that mean Aaron Brooks is the #4 QB???? :-o

I mean Moss / Porter is instant fantasy gold right....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby logan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:21 pm

KFFL doesn't recommend taking a wide receiver in the first three rounds, especially Owens, though he will more than likely be gone by the end of Round 3 in any league format.

:-?

and top 10 sounds perfect for bledsoe.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:31 pm

yeah, dont fall into this trap people

Last year everyone was grabbin up kerry collins, and we all know how that turned out.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warhawk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:34 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:yeah, dont fall into this trap people

Last year everyone was grabbin up kerry collins, and we all know how that turned out.

On the other hand, Terry Glenn and Jason Witten had good seasons last year, and already have a good chemistry with Bledsoe. Dallas this year should (should, I say should) work out better than Oakland last year.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:46 pm

while i dont believe Bledsoe will be a top 5 QB with the addition of TO i dont think we have another 05 Kerry Collins on our hands. before TO arrived Bledsoe was already a very solid quarterback. Bledsoe has good decision making and a very strong arm. Collins was a poor QB before Moss got there and remained a poor QB. Bledsoe is on a MUCH better team than Collins was as well. I just dont think the situations are really that similar.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MrTwo94 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:59 pm

1. C. Palmer 265.54
2. T. Brady 249.3
3. P. Manning 242.38
4. M. Hasselbeck 230.6
5. E. Manning 224.48
6. J. Plummer 217.74
7. M. Vick 216.78
8. T. Green 210.76
9. D. Brees 209.94
10.K. Collins 208.16

Ok, you people who said Collins would not be good in 2005. What is this? This is the end of year totals for QB's under the typical scoring format. Let's take into consideration that Collins only played 15 games bc he was benched for the last game. He averaged about 14 pts/gm so if they hadn't benched him, he'd have finished with about 222 pts putting him at #6. If Moss had not gotten injured early in the season, you can't tell me Collins would not have put up slightly better numbers.

So, where do you guys get off calling him such a bust? Eli Manning averaged 14 pts/gm and he was #5. So were you nay sayers right when you said Collins would not be top 5? Basically, you got lucky that Moss was injured and he got benched on the last game, otherwise, you certainly wouldn't be writing these asinine "Last year everyone was grabbin up kerry collins, and we all know how that turned out" posts. The hype last year said that Collins throwing to Moss would be a top 5 QB and for the games that Moss was healthy, Collins was putting up top 5 numbers. Even with a hurt Moss he still almost put up top 5 numbers. So can we please shut up about it and move the ____ on? None of you were correct saying Collins/Moss would not produce top 5 numbers. Injuries made it impossible to tell the truth.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk